Why did Lierre Keith fail as a 'vegan'?

Going vegan and new vegans in need of support or information.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Why did Lierre Keith fail as a 'vegan'?

Postby ha » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:21 pm

This is a common question I get from newbies. Lierre Keith wrote the book 'Vegetarian Myth'. In the first page she says she was a vegan for 20 years but in her interviews she says 'I binged on eggs and dairy every chance I got!!.."

Err..last time I checked a vegan lifestyle didnt mean consuming eggs and bovine juice...

Here is a youtube vid I did about it all. Please share it so we can snuff out the BS Lierre is spreading.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJVGOvpvkXc
raw vegan banana case that has cycled over 190 000km cycled as a vegan.

y - youtube.com/durianriders
f - facebook.com/durianrider
t - twitter.com/durianryder
b - durianrider.org
w - 30bananasaday.com

Drink up, carb up, sleep up... cos everyday is the day to live it up!
ha

Re: Why did Lierre Keith fail as a 'vegan'?

Postby vegimator » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:01 am

Wow. She's just laughable.
vegimator

Postby beforewisdom » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:18 am

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Postby beforewisdom » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:31 am

ha wrote:This is a common question I get from newbies. Lierre Keith wrote the book 'Vegetarian Myth'. In the first page she says she was a vegan for 20 years but in her interviews she says 'I binged on eggs and dairy every chance I got!!.."

I was a vegetarian early on in college. In the U.S. eggs and milk are fairly cheap. "every chance I got" can easily mean all of the time.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Postby xrodolfox » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:46 am

Lierre Keith seems popular because she's feeding into what people want to believe. She's got a narrative that'll feed folk's confirmation bias rather than reason. I'm so irritated by her.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby Gastroplodder » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:22 am

I'd heard of Lierre Keith but not actually taken any notice before listening to extracts from this interview. How can anyone take this twaddle seriously :shock: I mean she actually claims that vegans eat dead cow once a week - I'm sorry for whichever of you guys is eating my bit 'cause I'm certainly not.

A bitter woman haunted by failure I think, I'll file her with the religious zealots. Is this all somehow wrapped up with corporate sponsorship and guns and creationism and that Palin women you leftpondians have :evil:
Probably the fastest vegan elf at Abingdon parkrun

http://gastroplodder.vegebear.com/blog
Gastroplodder

Postby Konstantin » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:25 pm

She alleges problems, therefore, veganism is impossible.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby etherspin » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:05 am

xrodolfox wrote:Lierre Keith seems popular because she's feeding into what people want to believe. She's got a narrative that'll feed folk's confirmation bias rather than reason. I'm so irritated by her.

yep, I think that summarises the whole phenomenon .

The more her book and position are examined the sillier she is looking and by the sound of it she has never been on a plant based diet (for more than perhaps a week at a time) - I mean how often is there a chance to eat eggs and dairy ? she took every chance she got ? not even close to veganism. sounds like text book lacto ovo.

I hope she moves to a cabin in the woods to enjoy her pulsating cells .. that came out wrong... :shock:
etherspin

Return to New Vegan