Bike Journal

If cycling of any kind, from leisure to endurance, is your passion, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: Bike Journal

Postby VeganGraham » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:15 pm

My rides are all on a mountain bike so far, but on a mix of road and off road, with wet leaf covered tarmac cycle routes that aren't really one or the other, so I'm not claiming to be a moral leader.
Although I commuted in the rain both ways yesterday. That should be worth extra.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby Gastroplodder » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:29 am

GY Jon wrote:
Gastroplodder wrote:
GY Jon wrote:I've just made a veganfitness.net club at bike journal ...

Great! I've joined, I see I'm last already :wink:

Poor Student 200 tomorrow!

200 already? I'm waiting until Feb to feel that tired, you must be aiming for PBP?

I seem to be on the 3rd month of a fixed gear Randonneur Round the Year so January had to be done, a great day out as it happens with loads of sunshine to compensate for the hills and a genuine tailwind home to make up for slogging 50 miles into a headwind the first leg :) PBP was certainly discussed by many :?

Big Good Wolf wrote:My rides are all on a mountain bike so far, but on a mix of road and off road, with wet leaf covered tarmac cycle routes that aren't really one or the other, so I'm not claiming to be a moral leader.
Although I commuted in the rain both ways yesterday. That should be worth extra.

Yep I recon commuting in the rain is worth morality points - particularly if its freezing cold rain.
Probably the fastest vegan elf at Abingdon parkrun

http://gastroplodder.vegebear.com/blog
Gastroplodder

Postby VeganGraham » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:59 am

Hey, what happened there ?
I went to work a comfortable 2nd and came home a distant 3rd behind a fixie rider. :(

I've just joined the Vegan Straight Edge club to save them from the embarrassment of having no miles this year.
VeganFitness is doing a bit better, but we've only got three in our team. Come on vegan cyclists, join up and log your riding.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby bob_summers » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:23 pm

ok well i've joined the vf.net club, but my contributions are meager as i'm still recovering from, apparently, swine flu which i had all xmas/NY. anyway, i'll try and keep it updated - i'm historically terrible at these things.

any more for any more? DHD, al, etc...?
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Postby GY Jon » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:56 pm

Get well soon.

I think 4 makes a club, I've been on audaxes and club TTs with less, we just need to keep this topic near the top of the list for a few more days to drag more of us in, I'm not sure we'll ever get too near the top of the club leaderboard mind
GY Jon

Postby vCLaW » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:28 pm

OK, I've now signed up to Bikejournal and joined the club.
Admittedly, I've not actually be out on my bike this year yet. I blame the snow/ice/cold etc. But I'll try and get out tomorrow, probably on the mountain bike.
vCLaW

Postby audi666 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:21 pm

Just signed up as well. I have a question though, I added a “route” which is my normal everyday commute and wondered if I could just input that ride into my calendar rather than having to type in a mileage every time? Or is there a way to upload from a gps device like on other sites?
http://hellopa.blogspot.com
audi666

Postby VeganGraham » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:02 pm

Assuming you're using Garmin Training Centre...
Right click on the ride and click on "Export..."
Make sure you select just the one ride, not a whole week.
Save it as a .tcx file somewhere.
Go to Journal > Add Ride on BikeJournal, then Choose File.

It doesn't seem to be possible to import directly from a Garmin device on BikeJournal like you can on Endomondo or Fetch.
If you're not using a Garmin, you'll need to work out how to save the track as a file on your computer before uploading it to BikeJournal
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Postby Gastroplodder » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:33 pm

I uploaded my whole weeks commute/shopping miles as a total and ticked the bulk upload box, seems less hassle than doing it daily.

Gastroplodder

Postby VeganGraham » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:16 pm

Yeah, the bulk upload would be useful if you just want to keep track of the total.
I'm thinking of looking back in the future and keeping track of how often I commute by bike, so I like to log them individually.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Postby audi666 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:22 pm

thanks for the help.

I keep a quick excel file for my rides with tabs for each month. Then total the commuting miles and non-commuting miles and figure out roughly the money i saved from driving. This helps when trying to convince the misses that I DO need another bike :D
http://hellopa.blogspot.com
audi666

Postby Gastroplodder » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:10 pm

36th club out of 450+ is a good start - particularly when 33 of the clubs with more miles than us have more riders.

Gastroplodder

Postby VeganGraham » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:00 pm

I hadn't looked at the club stats before, that's pretty good. :D
Where's Philthy Builder and whatever happened to Man On Bike ?
I'm sure they'd bump us up the table a few places.

I'm 515/2331 on the individual stats.
All of it on a mountain bike, half of it off road, quarter of it in the dark and most of it on a single speed. 8)
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Postby GY Jon » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:02 am

We need more of our Antipodean (any S American?) they're bound to get more (our) winter miles in than us, particularly apt today as I gaze out of the window at the wind and rain, a good day for bike maintenance :roll:
GY Jon

Postby benzilla » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:24 pm

I've signed up and added a ride and a route (my commute). I can't see a place to either choose my route when i log a ride, or a place to enter how many km's i've done.

I don't have a fancy bike computer, so i cannot upload the data, is that the only way?
benzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Cycling Forum