Hemp Protein

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Hemp Protein

Postby DB » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:32 am

So I was looking at the amino acid profiles for hemp, and it seems pretty weak compared to rice, soy or pea protein. I hear it doesn't taste very good either. If this is so, why does anyone buy hemp protein powder? It doesn't even have THC.
DB

Re: Hemp Protein

Postby eccoboy » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:56 am

I buy hemp powder sometimes and I don't mind the taste, but it gives me indigestion and doesn't satisfy me like rice and soy protein does.
eccoboy

Postby Linnéa76 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:42 pm

I guess the percentage of protein is lower than in rice/pea protein powder but I think the quality
is quite good? There's some good fats in there as well plus it's an environmentally sustainable source
of protein.
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Postby vegimator » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:28 pm

[quote="Linnéa76"]I think the quality
is quite good? There's some good fats in there as well plus it's an environmentally sustainable source
of protein.

Yes, it has a decent amount of omega 3s and is one of the few sources of GLA (an anti-inflammatory fatty acid - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma-Linolenic_acid).

Also, though hemp isn't that amazing as far as amino acids, it has a very high digestibility partly because almost all of the proteins are in globulin edestin or albumin form (hemp is the only food to have edestin protein as far as i know) both of which are very easily digested.

Still, I stick to pea/rice protein generally though I do use whole hemp seed in recipes.
vegimator

Postby JP » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:45 am

i have some just for the sake of variety/diversity of protein sources.
JP
Site Admin

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating