Squat form critique

Home of strength: powerlifting, olympic lifting, grip strength, strongman, odd object lifting, explosive power...

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Squat form critique

Postby bronco » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:29 pm

If someone has some useful tips on how to improve my squatting form, please speak out :D .

JP wrote:Spirulina is a badass crew, and they often just hang around in street corners looking to beat up proteins.

They oftenget confused by the fact that they are almost half protein themselves.
User avatar
bronco
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9033
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:25 am
Location: Vienna, Austria

Re: Squat form critique

Postby KC Masterpiece » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:34 pm

That's a damn good lookin' squat!
User avatar
KC Masterpiece
Active Member
 
Posts: 1056
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:12 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: Squat form critique

Postby JP » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:37 pm

maybe bigger moustache would help?
User avatar
JP
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19250
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:14 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany

Re: Squat form critique

Postby baldy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:47 pm

Form looks great, bar path is really straight. Heels stay planted. Back is tight, sideburns are strong. Only thing you can do is put more weight on the bar and maybe a sound track?

Must be kind of creepy training in a silent gym.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
User avatar
baldy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7270
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 10:23 am
Location: St Albans UK

Re: Squat form critique

Postby Devil's Plaything » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:12 pm

Awesomely huge plates! :mrgreen:

Oh and the form is pretty much perfect as well ;)
[quote="JP"]biceps are very important in strongman! With big biceps if the competition doesnt go well, at least you will look good.[/quote]
User avatar
Devil's Plaything
Active Member
 
Posts: 894
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:28 pm
Location: Duesseldorf, Germany

Re: Squat form critique

Postby bronco » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:28 am

Thanks all :) ! So consensus is that while the squats look ok, I need to put more weight on the bar and grow a moustache :D ?
Maybe I put some more weight on and see what kind of technical flaws that reveal.

baldy wrote:Must be kind of creepy training in a silent gym.

Not really I am used to it. I tried to bring some CDs but the CD player did not accept my CDRs. It would have been so nice training to 70s hardrock :cry: .

Devil's Plaything wrote:Awesomely huge plates! :mrgreen:

He, yeah they are nice, I like how 120kg is allmost enough to fill up the bar - good for the ego :D .

A more specific question, is it normal to have the elbows as far back as I have? I remember reading to try to keep the elbows almost under the bar, but that was probably related to lowbar squats. Having the elbows back seem to create a really comfy shelf for the bar.
JP wrote:Spirulina is a badass crew, and they often just hang around in street corners looking to beat up proteins.

They oftenget confused by the fact that they are almost half protein themselves.
User avatar
bronco
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9033
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:25 am
Location: Vienna, Austria

Re: Squat form critique

Postby KC Masterpiece » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:00 am

bronco wrote:A more specific question, is it normal to have the elbows as far back as I have? I remember reading to try to keep the elbows almost under the bar, but that was probably related to lowbar squats. Having the elbows back seem to create a really comfy shelf for the bar.


I was wondering the same thing myself.

One of the guys from the Diesel Crew is a hard line "forearms vertical" guy, while Rippetoe and others are the reverse (elbows way up). I'm messing around with switching from lowbar to a squat (hopefully) similar to yours, and everywhere I look they say keep the elbows down, forearms vertical, etc. for that type of squat, but the elbows back enables a tighter back and just feels better for me.

I suppose then its whatever works for you?
User avatar
KC Masterpiece
Active Member
 
Posts: 1056
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:12 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: Squat form critique

Postby JP » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:19 am

yeah what ever works for you mate with the elbows.

ok one thing, dont walk such a massive distance back with the weights? When its 200 on the bar, you wouldnt like to walk that far and far back to rack it again.
User avatar
JP
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19250
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:14 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany

Re: Squat form critique

Postby ninearms » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:49 am

Looks solid except for the one thing that you mentioned yourself - the elbows. You can get a much tighter upper back and keep your chest up by pulling down on the bar, which necessitates elbows under the bar. One other thing I'd change is just to move your stands up a notch as you have to dip down quite far to rack and unrack the bar, so you may lose some tightness there.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
User avatar
ninearms
Perked Member
 
Posts: 6031
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:07 pm
Location: Leicester, UK

Re: Squat form critique

Postby bronco » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:01 am

KC Masterpiece wrote:I was wondering the same thing myself.

One of the guys from the Diesel Crew is a hard line "forearms vertical" guy, while Rippetoe and others are the reverse (elbows way up). I'm messing around with switching from lowbar to a squat (hopefully) similar to yours, and everywhere I look they say keep the elbows down, forearms vertical, etc. for that type of squat, but the elbows back enables a tighter back and just feels better for me.

I suppose then its whatever works for you?

ninearms wrote:Looks solid except for the one thing that you mentioned yourself - the elbows. You can get a much tighter upper back and keep your chest up by pulling down on the bar, which necessitates elbows under the bar.

I had a look in some books and there seems to be no real consensus on this point. Riptoe says elbows back and up (allthough he is talking about low bar squat so not sure how relevant), Everett says near vertical and Dreschler simply states elbows should be behind the bar. This pulling the bar down thing definitely sounds interesting so I will try that out and see how it feels, thanks :) .

ninearms wrote:One other thing I'd change is just to move your stands up a notch as you have to dip down quite far to rack and unrack the bar, so you may lose some tightness there.

That is also a good point. Most of the other guys at the gym are shorter so I have kind of gotten used to the lower setting since I have to use it when using the rack at the same time as someone else. Think I will try out a higher setting and see if the benefits overweight the drawback of sometime having to switch to the lower setting.

JP wrote:ok one thing, dont walk such a massive distance back with the weights? When its 200 on the bar, you wouldnt like to walk that far and far back to rack it again.

Thanks, that is a good point :) .
JP wrote:Spirulina is a badass crew, and they often just hang around in street corners looking to beat up proteins.

They oftenget confused by the fact that they are almost half protein themselves.
User avatar
bronco
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9033
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:25 am
Location: Vienna, Austria

Re: Squat form critique

Postby baldy » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:37 am

bronco wrote:
KC Masterpiece wrote:I was wondering the same thing myself.

One of the guys from the Diesel Crew is a hard line "forearms vertical" guy, while Rippetoe and others are the reverse (elbows way up). I'm messing around with switching from lowbar to a squat (hopefully) similar to yours, and everywhere I look they say keep the elbows down, forearms vertical, etc. for that type of squat, but the elbows back enables a tighter back and just feels better for me.

I suppose then its whatever works for you?

ninearms wrote:Looks solid except for the one thing that you mentioned yourself - the elbows. You can get a much tighter upper back and keep your chest up by pulling down on the bar, which necessitates elbows under the bar.

I had a look in some books and there seems to be no real consensus on this point. Riptoe says elbows back and up (allthough he is talking about low bar squat so not sure how relevant), Everett says near vertical and Dreschler simply states elbows should be behind the bar. This pulling the bar down thing definitely sounds interesting so I will try that out and see how it feels, thanks :) .


After watching a Rippetoe video that ninearms posted I picked up the q elbows out. Before I had always tried to get my elbows under the bar and take some of the weight. For me elbows out takes the strain off my wrist and creates a better platform on my back for the bar. So the walkout feels lighter and I can keep more upright. I think the connection between the bar, core and my legs is also stronger. Can imagine the bar bouncing around more on my back with elbows down.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
User avatar
baldy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7270
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 10:23 am
Location: St Albans UK

Re: Squat form critique

Postby knackers » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:43 am

Strong squatting mate, form is really good, only thing i will also comment on (as you already have highlighted) is the elbows flaring back, when you increase the weight on the bar it may cause you issues with you wanting to lean forward and soreness in the elbows. That is exactly what happens to me anyway. Elbows flared back at challenging weight = Good morning squat :)
I recently watched this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scBJWKbUGX0&feature=channel
and am trying to keep my elbows inline with my body, by doing this I tend to feel and stay more vertical..
“Animals do have a voice. If you ignore their suffering, I will remind you of it. If you don't understand them, I will translate. If you don't hear them, I will be their voice. You may silence them but you cannot silence me as long as I live.” ~ Anita Mahdessian (C
User avatar
knackers
Active Member
 
Posts: 956
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:12 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: Squat form critique

Postby baldy » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:27 pm

knackers wrote:Strong squatting mate, form is really good, only thing i will also comment on (as you already have highlighted) is the elbows flaring back, when you increase the weight on the bar it may cause you issues with you wanting to lean forward and soreness in the elbows. That is exactly what happens to me anyway. Elbows flared back at challenging weight = Good morning squat :)
I recently watched this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scBJWKbUGX0&feature=channel
and am trying to keep my elbows inline with my body, by doing this I tend to feel and stay more vertical..

Squats are fascinating, love the fact we can argue about the form for hours. The guy in the video seemed very unflexable when he demonstrated flaring his elbows back the bar was really high. When I flare my elbows back the bar settles at the base of my deltoids, proper low bar position.

So maybe high bar = low elbows and low bar = flared elbows?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
User avatar
baldy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7270
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 10:23 am
Location: St Albans UK

Re: Squat form critique

Postby ninearms » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:14 pm

The elbows are back in the low bar that Rip teaches because the torso angle is greater, but the end result is that the elbows are in line with the torso, not in front or behind. In the high bar squat the torso angle is less, and so the elbows should sit lower to keep them in line with the torso.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
User avatar
ninearms
Perked Member
 
Posts: 6031
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:07 pm
Location: Leicester, UK

Re: Squat form critique

Postby JP » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:02 pm

fuck the elbows, put some weight on the bar!!!
User avatar
JP
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19250
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:14 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany

Next

Return to Power and Strength

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron