Unwanted Non Vegan Christmas Gifts

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Unwanted Non Vegan Christmas Gifts

Postby britdoc » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:02 pm

OK, so this is probably a separate topic in itself (the honey crystals, cheese board and knife set) regarding what to do with unwanted christmas gifts, but I also received a yogurt maker this year. As always, the person meant well and kind of didn't understand 'what vegan means' but thought that this would be a great gift for me because I like to cook and mess around in the kitchen.

Anyway, after 1 experiment with some soymilk (which it does say you can use, although doesn't recommend it) and a soy yogurt for a starter, I ended up with 6 jars of utterly sour, inedible coagulated filth that smelled (and tasted, unfortunately) like cat vomit. After one spoonful, it all went down the garbage disposal. Has anyone tried making their own yogurt, or is this item just doomed to live in the back of my cupboard forever?
britdoc

Re: Unwanted Non Vegan Christmas Gifts

Postby baldy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:25 pm

Vegan yoghurt should be no problem, check out this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21143&p=356449

Non vegan gifts I normally just regift. Depends what it is, someone bought me sweets that have gelatine in them, I just passed them onto someone else. If the present was a deer hunting kit I would probably not regift it.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby beforewisdom » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:36 pm

There is always recycling.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Postby vCLaW » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:35 pm

I've made soya yoghurt before, it worked fine. Though not in a proper yoghurt maker, just in a jug left in a warm place. I think it was a bit runny, but still tasted nice.
What sort of soya yoghurt are you using as a starter? Are you sure it is live?
vCLaW

Postby mabli » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:32 am

I got a massive sack of potatoes from my uncle, one of my very best xmas pressies :-)

I got a honey drink but just passed that on to someone, I sometimes use the gift boxes of smellies sometimes pass on... I think its best to use them really otherwise I give the message that its ok to buy dodgy stuff...
mabli

Postby britdoc » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:59 pm

Thanks for the links - sounds useful and will give it another try.

I forget the name of the soy yogurt I used - just a basic one in the grocery store...I think it was live (it did ferment after all, just in an incredibly sour and inedible way!)

A big bag of potatoes? How big?

One of my fave gifts, although it sounds completely weird, was the big box of dirt in which you can grow your own mushrooms (mushroomadventures.com)...currently have a groovy crop of portabellos!
britdoc

Postby mabli » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:25 pm

britdoc wrote:A big bag of potatoes? How big?

25kg big :-)

mabli

Postby beforewisdom » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:39 pm

mabli wrote:I got a massive sack of potatoes from my uncle, one of my very best xmas pressies :-)

It doesn't sound like it would be, but isn't interesting how nice it turns out to be?

Years ago when I was living in a group house somebody didn't know what to get me so they gave me a very nice basket filled with assorted dried bagged beans. I really liked it. It lasted weeks which kept the gift in mind.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Postby seanf399 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:37 am

I just give nonvegan sweets to my sis XD
"Workers of the World Unite."
seanf399

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating