Hungry Teen Looking for Yummy BFast options :)

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Hungry Teen Looking for Yummy BFast options :)

Postby mariathib » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:29 am

What are some good quality breakfast options that I can make that have a decent amount of protein to fuel me through my morning classes. I find myself lagging on just fruit and grains ( via oatmeal ) in the morning and considering that I'm transitioning to less dairy so milk is off the menu. I was thinking switching up my grains and eating buckwheat or maybe quinoa and just eating more of it (bc I do LOOOOVE to eat) if that works...Any ideas?
mariathib

Re: Hungry Teen Looking for Yummy BFast options :)

Postby xrodolfox » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:49 am

I don't think that protein is needed for long term energy. Protein *can* be energy, but it takes a while to turn it to something usable.

Instead, what might help you best it to eat foods that are high in low glycemic carbs... or carbs that "burn slow". My suggestion: lots of old fashioned, no-sugar added, non-precessed, creamy oatmeal. Or do what i do: eat the oatmeal (with a large helping of Maple Syrup), and then take a snack to school. EVERYONE, meat eating or not, tends to need a snack 2.5 hours after breakfast.

The reason you might've not needed a snack before (which I always needed as a meat-eating teen) might have to do with total calorie intake.

The difference might be that you used to eat a lot more CALORIES at breakfast. Vegan foods can be filling, but low in calories. Thus, your stomach is often full, but you've had a lot less calories consumed. There are two solutions. Snack (yummy), or eat a lot more (yumm). Either way, you win.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby JP » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:33 pm

mysli with soya yoghurt

toast with all kinds on top
JP
Site Admin

Postby mollygidget » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:51 pm

I love a good tofu scramble (I just do tofu, onions, peppers, seasoned with turmeric), homefries and toast. It's pretty quick, though I usually only do it when I have a good amount of free time.

I've been adding soy or hemp protein powder to steelcut oatmeal, throwing in a ton of blueberries/bananas and sweetening with agave, and that's pretty filling and cooks pretty quick too.
"molly, get your leggings"
mollygidget

Postby baldy » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:56 pm

Weetbix with soya milk.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby vegimator » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:49 pm

Today I had a boca chick patty, half an avocado and a protein smoothie. I didn't start getting hungry until 12:30. I have been less active in the last month though and in the past I would bring nuts or energy bars to work to snack on before lunch.
vegimator

Postby divergirl » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:07 am

I've recently decided to try something completely different cos I was finding I was sluggish after regular cereal with soy milk. I've now been trying brown rice with some type of beans (just canned, nothing hard - eg. chickpeas, butter beans, pinto beans etc.) warmed up in the microwave with either salsa or a chopped tomato and maybe a piece of soy cheese broken up in it, squirt of lemon or lime juice - yummo! Easy, quick and very filling brekkie. When I have this I don't have to have a snack before lunch. Good luck! :)
Diving into the blue again......

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Winners do things that losers just won't.
divergirl

Postby DB » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:11 pm

I love my oatmeal in the morning. I also mix in some ground walnuts, raisins or cranberries, and a spoon of ground flax seeds. I don't make it with water, either. I use half coconut milk and half vanilla soy milk. Some cinnamon and maybe a bit of molasses for extra flavor. One thing I've noticed is that foods with a bit of fat in there last me longer and leave me feeling more satisfied longer.
Or I eat a bowl of granola type stuff, or a vegetable scramble with some smoked tofu.
Even so, I usually eat something around 10 again anyway.
DB

Postby E-P » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:15 pm

My heavy breakfast option is oat meal and glass of soya milk (+ flax seed oil) and after baked beans and glass of ACE-juice. That keeps me filled until the mid-day. If I have just porridge I am hungry again in an hour.
E-P

Postby cdiddy34 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:12 pm

i can get hungry once in awhile in the AM also. i eat cereal with rice milk and a banana or oatmeal and tea on occasion. like somebody else stated, protein has nothing to do with it.. it's all about the calories and how they burn. whole grains are the best in this case.
cdiddy34

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating