Vegetarian in Massachusetts:)

Please introduce yourself here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Vegetarian in Massachusetts:)

Postby mariathib » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:17 am

Hello everyone:)
I posted already on the forums here but I'm so happy I stumbled upon them. I'm 18 now and I've been wanting go veg for a while and my mom is finally being open to the idea. Though she's not so keen on being vegan, I'm ok with being vegetarian right now and just seeing how that goes. Ill be making the transirion in the next year if all goes well. Wish me luck and looking forward to many more posts with you all:)

Maria
mariathib

Re: Vegetarian in Massachusetts:)

Postby xrodolfox » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:07 pm

Welcome! Where in MA are you?
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby mariathib » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:42 am

South Shore :D
mariathib

Postby kallefs » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:07 am

Welcome to VF!

And good luck with the transition, it will be fun and easy!
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby mabli » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:09 am

welcome to vf :-)
mabli

Postby DB » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:39 pm

Welcome! You're Mom should be happy to know that even mainstream medical organizations view vegetarianism as the healthiest diet. Veganism can be every bit as healthy if you pay a little attention to what you eat.
Why is she resistant to the idea?
DB

Postby mariathib » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:17 pm

Shes a bit hesitant just because my family is a meat and potatoes kind of family. Ya know the kind that says the only protein thats viable is animal sourced protein, dairy, eggs, ect. They are stuck in their beliefs that vegetarians are unhealthy and no matter how many times I try to tell them, they are still not very trusting of the idea. I know they worry about me and all, but this is definitely a huge thing for me, and it would be nice to get their support, especially my mom's :(
mariathib

Postby xrodolfox » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:50 am

what would help your mom get on your side? More info? Meeting healthy vegans?
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby mariathib » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:36 pm

Actually, I bought quite a few books on the topic of veganism. I wanted to read a little into the whole nature of animal rights, factory farming, animal testing, and the environmental aspects of eating less meat a little more after I watched Food Inc, The Cove, and Earthlings. I'm hoping that my mom will be interested enough to read them with me and get more interested in the subject too. Meeting healthy vegans would be really nice and I was thinking about attending some of the Boston's Vegetarian Society Events.
mariathib

Postby DB » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:39 am

Well, good luck. Neither my parents nor my wife's had any interest at all in even going vegetarian much less vegan. My folks at least don't fight the idea, though they are not particularly convinced of it's healthiness. My wife's family is dead set convinced we're all going to wither away and die even though we've been vegan for 4 years now and still here and healthy with two growing kids. Old thinking is hard to change.

That said, all major medical organizations have concluded that vegetarian diets are very healthy if not healthier than meat based diets and vegan diets are at the very least "adequate" if a little care is used. A little searching on the web should yield results you can show your mom. I seem to have misplaced the links I used to have to such articles or I'd post them for you. Otherwise, it looks to me that you're on the right track.

Oh, and one other thing, be prepared to accept the possibility that you may never get the support you are looking for from family. Some people are simply unwilling to look at the issue, for whatever reason. The key to maintaining a relationship with such people in my experience is lead by example, but don't push the issue. We had to drop all discussion of anything relating to animal welfare with both our families. They don't want to hear it and every time it got mentioned, even in passing, it resulted in bitterness and hostility. Now we're just the weird relatives that eat funny and still somehow manage to survive without any protein, but at least we can still come over for Christmas and they'll even go out of their way to make something vegan for us.

I hope it works out well for you, just be prepared.
DB

Postby mariathib » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:45 pm

Yea, I definitely don't want to force my opinions on anyone else. That's the last thing I want to do. I love food and I love eating and cooking healthy food that doesn't involve harming or using another life. It's a good feeling and I'll just see how it goes over the next few months. If veganism isn't right for me, then I can still be vegetarian and make good choices when it comes to the food I eat and where it comes from. Every little bit helps and My family might not be so keen on the idea but at least they are willing to compromise and I'm willing to accept that I may not get their
full support, but it's totally fine with me. Thanks everyone for the info and thoughts. It really helps a lot!
mariathib

Postby IronGirl » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:28 pm

Welcome.
IronGirl

Return to New member introductions