vegan trainers

New vegan products out there? Queries about products, ingredients, vegan supplements?

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re:

Postby aliquis » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:44 am

arts_bandit wrote:Just got this reply from New Balance re. vegan trainers :(

Hello Mr. green,
New Balance has manufacturing plants in several countries China and Great Britain but the majority of our factories are located here in the United States. In all fairness, we do not have any shoes we can truly call Vegan since we do not have the exact origin of all the materials used to make the shoes. The closest we have is our 070 Eco Friendly shoe made with a reduced waste design and recycled materials, but not Vegan friendly. I am sorry, we don’t have one to offer at this time, but New Balance is always doing research and developing new ideas and the idea of having a Vegan shoe has come up quite a lot, I have not heard of anything in development, but I would not be surprised to hear about something along those lines in the coming seasons. Please feel free to call us if you have any questions.
Sincerely
Susan Z.Customer Care
I wonder what they mean, glues? The rubber compounds? Any kind of fats used to form the rubberstuff?

I've got a pair of what was called 1080 or something such. Nice shoes but I never run.. So kinda fail :D
aliquis

Re: vegan trainers

Postby aliquis » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:47 am

JS wrote: yeah I guess they don't do any that they can say are truly vegan becuase of the glue.
Thanks, that and lacquers suck on all occasions. But I always ignore it. Same for flavorings.

Heck, nowadays I even buy regular shampoos and such, every time I call they always say they are ok anyway. Don't know if I can trust that though.
aliquis

Postby ha » Sun May 02, 2010 10:16 am

I just ordered a pair of these from www.wiggle.co.uk. They deliver real cheap and fast and Im in Australia!

[url]http://www.brooksrunning.com/Green+Room/Green+Silence//url]
raw vegan banana case that has cycled over 190 000km cycled as a vegan.

y - youtube.com/durianriders
f - facebook.com/durianrider
t - twitter.com/durianryder
b - durianrider.org
w - 30bananasaday.com

Drink up, carb up, sleep up... cos everyday is the day to live it up!
ha

Postby JuicyJ » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:18 pm

this was on my twitter today :
thought I would share :

Saucony Originals Jazz Low Pro Vegan http://bit.ly/aoE3Mj
JuicyJ

Postby muchluv » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:50 pm

Many of New Balances shoes are in the Animal Free Shopper, I also received a reply in regards to their casual shoes that they use vegan friendly glues, and the way it was stated sounded like they meant that in general (this is from UK customer service).

But Ethical Consumer has given New Balance a 'poor' rating (although just under 'average' rating). Which was dissapointing. My New Balances work well for me.
Although the effeminate nature of my username may suggest otherwise, my gender actually falls into the male category.
muchluv
The VF YouTube Guvnor

Postby Kitteh » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:01 am

I usually buy New Balance, then I bought Earth Shoes a few years ago but the shipping to Aus took forever so this time I bought a pair of Mizuno. They feel lighter than most trainers, I think I'll go back to NB next time.
http://cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com
Kitteh

Postby barnz2k » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:38 am

Got this reply today from Puma

Thank you for contacting us at Puma UK

With regards to your email unfortunately we cant guarantee that these shoes contain no animal product. The only reason they are classified as synthetic is because over 50% of the materials are synthetic, but it's not 100%.

I hope this answers your question

Kind Regards
Puma UK

This is kinda disturbing.. That they only have to be at least 50% synthetic to be classed as such. What is the other 50% ?!

Im trying to find a vegan pair of shoes in this kind of style, any suggestions?

Last edited by barnz2k on Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barnz2k

Postby fredrikw » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:06 am

wtf? if this really true? does this mean that a shoe can contain leather without them saying so, or was this refering to the glue situation? I'd check with for example Puma USA as well, just to make sure...
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby muchluv » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:42 pm

If it's reconstituted leather it has to be classed as synthetic, doesn't it?
Although the effeminate nature of my username may suggest otherwise, my gender actually falls into the male category.
muchluv
The VF YouTube Guvnor

Postby Purple » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:00 pm

Got this reply today from New Balance.

My Question: Hi guys, I would like to know which of your shoes are suitable for Vegans, in so much that they don't contain any animal derived products (wool, leather, silk, animal derived glues). I am looking for Vegan running/gym shoes, around size 9/10, male. Thank you.

----------------------------------------
While we cannot confirm that there is absolutely no animal derived glues used with our products, you will want to look at our shoes that are listed as being a synthetic material. We do not have any shoes made of wool or silk, and if they're made of leather, it will be listed in the description.
----------------------------------------
Purple

Postby barnz2k » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:03 pm

I bought a pair of Onitsuka Tiger Ultimate 81s, white shadow. Really nice sneakers. havent had sneakers in years! forgot what they were like haha
barnz2k

Postby Big Foot Marty » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:56 pm

A lot of the shoes being discussed are not trainers- most good training shoes avaialble have a good website with available info.

many if not most are all man made materials- glue can be a question though
Former football player now a runner and new Vegan. Run several marathons and other races now trying to learn how to eat and thrive on Vegan diet. And run successfully for Fun... Blogs - http://veggierunnereating.blogspot.com/
Big Foot Marty

Postby Stu » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:34 pm

I'm quite surprised that there has been no mention of Asics on this thread, since they're far and away the most popular manufacturer of running shoes. I've had lots of e-mail contact with them, and their trainers appear to be vegan as long as they contain the letter N in the product number found behind the tongue. For example, my GT-2150s carry the product number T004N.

I've owned many pairs of these and they have been brilliant for me as a distance runner.
Stu

Postby xJimx » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:23 pm

Just picked up a new pair of 81s for £30 :D

Excellent all round shoe that works well in the gym & looks sweet with jeans/shorts/trackies, though like with most shoes I have to go up a size to get the width I need for my hobbit feet.
DYEL
xJimx

Postby thestoatyone » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:46 pm

81s? What make are these buddy?
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

muchluv wrote:When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

PreviousNext

Return to Vegan Products and Supplements