SOUP you idiot

Share your tasty and/or healthy recipes here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

SOUP you idiot

Postby Herbsman » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:04 am

What the hell is your favourite soup? Do you like soup that is basically just vegetable flavoured water or do you like it so thick with protein and carbs that the spoon stands up in it? Do you like it with big chunks, small chunks, or blended into a 'hot vegetable smoothie'?

I don't have any recipes to share with you but I will let you know that I have to have my soup ingredients matching in colour. So I either have orange soup (red lentils, carrots, butternut squash) or white soup (cauliflowers, potatoes, cannelini beans) or green soup (broccoli, spinach, whatever, man). Fairly watery, semi-blended, with nice chunks. Basically liquid fuel and nutrients.

Also, should soup always be accompanied by bread?
Herbsman

Re: SOUP you idiot

Postby Herbsman » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:06 am

Also I must tell you I have like 6 tubs of white and orange soup in the freezer. I hope I can add green soup to this some time
Herbsman

Postby laura76 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:24 am

I love soup, especially during the wintertime. I'm partial to blended or semi-blended vegetable and/or lentil soups. Carrot's my favorite. Bread is a bonus but not completely necessary.
laura76

Postby Herbsman » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:44 am

should the bread be roll-shaped?
Herbsman

Postby bronco » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:12 am

There is one soup that is superiour to all others, and that is yellow pea soup. Preferably so thick you have to cut it with a knife. And served with mustard of course, on a thursday.
JP wrote:Spirulina is a badass crew, and they often just hang around in street corners looking to beat up proteins.

They oftenget confused by the fact that they are almost half protein themselves.
bronco
Site Admin

Postby baldy » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:21 am

leek and potato soup or butternut soup with orange.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Konstantin » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:01 am

Herbsman wrote:What the hell is your favourite soup?

I like 'chuck everything in' soup. Last night I made soup from about 4 carrots, an onion, spinach, peas, a tin of chick peas, black pepper, a veg stock cube and sea salt. Sometimes I put in curry paste and occasionally there's cider vinegar. Strangely adzuki beans are not a feature of my soup, they are a strong feature of 'chuck everything in' stir fries. Cauliflower and broccoli are good in soups, including the stem bit what people often discard unconsumed.

The thicker the better and sometime's it isn't soup, it's more baby food. Runny, mainly water, type soup is a hellish abomination.

In our house it is required to use the sign language for soup when mentioning it, and I usually do when typing it.

bronco wrote:There is one soup that is superiour to all others, and that is yellow pea soup.

Do you mean souperior?
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby baldy » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:12 am

Konstantin wrote:
Herbsman wrote:What the hell is your favourite soup?

I like 'chuck everything in' soup.

No this the worse type of soup, cos it all ends up tasting the same. Takes me back to school days and not being able to leave lunch until I finished the soup. I would dunk the bread but after that I was stuck with half a bowl of brown soup. Still gives me shivers... Nearly scared me for life.

Soup needs to be about a couple of flavours.

Actually the best soup I have ever had is a clear tomato and basil soup my mum makes, using home gown tomatoes and basil.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Linnéa76 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:21 am

Lentil soup damnit. :x

And Greek rice soup with loads of olive oil, lemon and garlic.
It supposedly cures a cold and pretty much everything else. :evil:
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Postby Konstantin » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:02 pm

baldy wrote:No this the worse type of soup, cos it all ends up tasting the same. Soup needs to be about a couple of flavours.

Don't diss my soup or you will have a soup fight on your hands that just can't handle.
:evil:
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby fredrikw » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:22 pm

bronco wrote:There is one soup that is superiour to all others, and that is yellow pea soup. Preferably so thick you have to cut it with a knife. And served with mustard of course, on a thursday.

+1

but not the Thursday thing, yellow pea soup is excellent whatever day it is.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Rochellita » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:25 pm

Yellow pea soup should be banned. Pumpkin soup is where it's at.
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby xrodolfox » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:47 pm

In order:

1) Porotos con rienda
2) unChickn' Bock Noodle soup (my daughter's favorite)
3) Red lentil soup
4) Ramen noodle soup
5) Miso Seaweed soup
6) broccoli cream soup.
7) Mushroom cream soup
8) everything in the pantry soup
9) all other soups.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby fredrikw » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:57 pm

.flux wrote:Yellow pea soup should be banned.

Was the soup I made you that bad? :( I seem to remember you saying you liked it...
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby fist of doom » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:11 pm

tamarind, chilis, noodles, lime zest, tofu chunks, garlic, onion, cilantro, ground peanuts, more chilis

cubed (not mashed) butternut squash, tomatoes, chick peas, onion, garlic, yellow curry, spinach

lentils w ground walnuts/spinach/tomato

cabbage n bean

kale, potatoes, vinegar, lotsa jerk spices

black bean chili
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." -Charles Bukowski
fist of doom

Next

Return to Vegan Recipes