sore 'arris when doing situps

For injury and health related discussion and support only. Please note that this is not a substitute for seeing a health care professional.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

sore 'arris when doing situps

Postby bob_summers » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:56 pm

kind of base of the spine, top o' the crack area (sorry :oops: )
i'm using a soft mat but i don't think even sitting on a cushion would help. it seems to be from the pelvic rolling forward motion, after about 40 reps or so (i'm doing the 200 situps program). bad form? or am i badly made? should i sack the situps and do crunches instead?
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Re: sore 'arris when doing situps

Postby baldy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:08 pm

bob_summers wrote: should i sack the situps and do crunches instead?

I would say do the plank rather, not a big fan of crunches maybe the most over rated exercise in the world!
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Konstantin » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:09 pm

Ouch!!

Bad memories for me, I was taking the skin off mine at one point. The year I joined VF I was doing 1000/week and my bum was suffering. I got an exercise mat such as the ones used in aerobics classes. It helped but didn't solve the problem. Getting a good grip on the floor also helped because the bum can move backwards and forwards as you do reps. If you're on carpet and move about a lot, try different surfaces, mats etc. You can also apply stuff like calomine lotion or even athletes foot cream. A close friend who you really trust, handy with a paint brush is a definite advantage here.

I suspect part of my problem was that I have a very hairy arse, but no way was I going to do anything about this.

You have my sympathy, but please do not post a photo.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby bob_summers » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:22 pm

jeebus, so many?!
thanks for the advice, i feel that you're more than qualified after 1000 a week! i should add that it doesn't feel like a friction issue. it's deeper, like someone's kicked me there! early days yet though... erring on the side of caution as being a cyclist i really don't want problems in that particular location ;-)

will look at the plank too.
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Postby Konstantin » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:59 pm

Yeah, another vote for planks (and side planks, spider planks, planks with toddlers on your back, etc.).

Another thought - it sounds like you're getting lots of pressure on a small area. Can you use or make a cushion that puts more weight on other areas? Cushions used by people who have broken their coccyx do this.

http://www.google.co.uk/images?rlz=1T4ACAW_enGB386GB386&q=coccyx%20cushion&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1291&bih=462

Doughnut shaped solution here?
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby fredrikw » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:07 pm

you've answered your own question I think, if you don't consider situps to be your main sport there's really no reason to keep doing them if they give you that kind of discomfort... get yourself a balance ball, a very versatile tool to do a lot of efficient core work on.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby hoffmeister » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:53 pm

I agree, crunches and situps are suboptimal. Do planks, or knees to elbows/toes to bar or hanging leg raises instead.
this is Sparta
hoffmeister
Reluctant Moderator

Postby XkillerX » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:20 am

For the hundredeleventh time, click 'eer
Next time, I'll spend the money on drugs instead.
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

Postby Konstantin » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:36 pm

No way dude, machines and gyms are similarly suboptimal.

Thers are brilliant. You can do them on your own with just a drop and swing effect, they're still great, but make sure you hold onto something stable (I use a sofa).
Konstantin

Return to Injury Prevention and Support Forum