Vegan Stocks / Investing

Anything not covered above probably belongs here!

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Vegan Stocks / Investing

Postby Seitanist » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:23 pm

Anybody here do any investing/trading? Do you search for vegan stocks/mutual funds? Do you think the whole system is corrupt? Let's hear it!
The devils of past religions have always, at least in part, had animal characteristics, evidence of man's constant need to deny that he too is an animal, for to do so would serve a mighty blow to his impoverished ego. -Anton LaVey
Seitanist

Re: Vegan Stocks / Investing

Postby NeoEvaX » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:37 pm

I have a few random shares here and there.

I was gifted 21 shares of Apple inc. Stock when I turned 21 (at about $60 each). They are now worth over $300 each. I have to resisit the urge to cash them in!

I also lend people money on Lendingclub.com Its a great site where you pay into people's micro loans. I am currently getting about 11.5% back on my investment. Plus its fun to decide who gets your moneyz. If someone has a really bad score, but they explain what they are going to use the money on and why they got into such debt in the first place you can decide if they are worthy.

I have not really searched out any Vegan stock. As much as I think the vegan movement will get better over the years, I am not sure if any individual company will do well. Any suggestions?
NeoEvaX

Postby Johnstuff » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:15 pm

Yeah I kind of think the whole system is corrupt. I hate buisness and capitalism, the first rule of buisness seems to be "forget about ethics". Companies like Monsanto do really well financially while ethical companies struggle to stay afloat.

I feel quite bad for my own part in buying a house, using banks, morgages etc. Like by using the 'system' you are causing the system, when IMO it needs destroying.
"these songs of guidance never stop the violence, we need strong defiance"
Johnstuff

Postby xJimx » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:11 pm

I think Konstantin here does this sort of thing professionally; sure he can advise.
DYEL
xJimx

Postby Konstantin » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:34 pm

Yes, I advise on pensions and investments, and promote ethical investments.

Ethical investments work on two main criteria. Negative criteria avoids certain firms or industries, eg no firms convicted of a pollution offence, or no investment in themeat industry. Positive investment favours activity, eg investing in firms developing environmental waste managment solutions or those with a good employment practice.

Most investments are pooled, which means you invest into a fund which might hold 50-100 different shares or bonds, so has a range of companies.

A good example of a vegan fund is run by Aegon Scottish Equitable and is their Ethical fund. The criteria it uses eliminates about 2/3rds of the UK stock market and that includes all meat, dairy and egg production. This is a stockmarket fund so has a level of risk. They also run a corporate bond fund with the same criteria which is much less volatile.

Ethical investment has grown loads over the last 15 years but most financial advisers don't take it seriously and fail to match people's ethics with the right fund, they're usually more concerned with matching the level of risk because that's been hammered into them by the regulators.

If anyone wants any more help or pointers drop me a PM.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby muchluv » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:31 pm

I was quite keen on it for a short while, a guy I know who used to work in a bank was explaining ethical basket funds etc to me, whole thing seemed imperfect/tricky though.
Although the effeminate nature of my username may suggest otherwise, my gender actually falls into the male category.
muchluv
The VF YouTube Guvnor

Postby ultra_whippet » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:43 pm

Konstantin wrote:A good example of a vegan fund is run by Aegon Scottish Equitable and is their Ethical fund. The criteria it uses eliminates about 2/3rds of the UK stock market and that includes all meat, dairy and egg production. This is a stockmarket fund so has a level of risk. They also run a corporate bond fund with the same criteria which is much less volatile.

Ah, good I've just stuck some of my pension into this so I'm glad you rate it. Will have to check out the corporate bond version too.

I also had a look at Zopa.com but never got around to doing anything with it
ultra_whippet

Postby Konstantin » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:29 pm

ultra_whippet wrote:
Konstantin wrote:A good example of a vegan fund is run by Aegon Scottish Equitable and is their Ethical fund. The criteria it uses eliminates about 2/3rds of the UK stock market and that includes all meat, dairy and egg production. This is a stockmarket fund so has a level of risk. They also run a corporate bond fund with the same criteria which is much less volatile.

Ah, good I've just stuck some of my pension into this so I'm glad you rate it. Will have to check out the corporate bond version too.

I also had a look at Zopa.com but never got around to doing anything with it

Check it's not the Scottish Equitable Socially Responsible Equity - totally different set of criteria.

The main reason for the Corporate Bond fund is to lower the volatility. Personally I care not a bit if my pension fund goes downwith the stock market because it will bounce back and I have years before I will take it. On the other hand, if you don't like sharp fluctuations typical of stockmarkets, you could consider using the corp fund also. If you've got an adviser, make sure they evaluate your attitude to risk.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby Seitanist » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:10 pm

Thanks guys!

Any recommendations for the the US market (NYSE/NASDAQ)?

I like UNFI as they distribute vegan food all across the country and they are quite 'green.' But they are not an all-vegan company either.
The devils of past religions have always, at least in part, had animal characteristics, evidence of man's constant need to deny that he too is an animal, for to do so would serve a mighty blow to his impoverished ego. -Anton LaVey
Seitanist

Return to General Discussion