UFC 118 incl vegan Ben Saunders - spoilers after the show!

Styles, training, conditioning, equipment - everything related to Martial Arts.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: UFC 118 incl vegan Ben Saunders - spoilers after the sho

Postby SpugFab » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:01 pm

UFC holds back other promotions. It is the reason Couture vs Fedor never happened when it was meaningful.

No drama here, just outlining my beef with the company. I don't watch the WWE for similar reasons, but I wouldn't call that a dramatic decision. If people like some celebrity and storylines with their sports entertainment that's good for them.

Few comments from Heath Herring recently:
"I really don't care too much for [the UFC], (and) I don't think they care too much for me," Herring said during the ESPN affiliate interview. "With … the UFC's pay scale and as much as it costs me to get ready for a fight, at the end of the day I made like 40 grand.

"These guys are literally making money off our blood, sweat and tears. (UFC president) Dana White's got six Ferraris. Hell, I just want one."
SpugFab

Postby JP » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:35 pm

actually, no comments on Diaz fight, or kenny florians...

i guess you like the drama :D
JP
Site Admin

Postby SpugFab » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:57 pm

UFC is dead to me. I consider this thread its wake.

I'm surprised you are so defensive of an organisation that is so clearly anti-worker.

Dana's behaviour over the recent mma video games is pretty low too.
SpugFab

Postby JP » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:07 pm

dont be daft, every capitalist organisation is inherently anti worker, just different shades of gray. And i wouldnt call the professional fighters super exploited workers - the workers who produce their t-shirts would have been worse off.

Its nothing to do with being defensive, its having a dose of reality in your criticism. One weird fight and the rest of the hundreds of fights doesnt matter - pretty dismissive of all the fighters and their skill and effort.

And there are no proper alternatives, rest is a side show, hopefully not for long.

And overall the fights prioduced are great quality, and the talent pushed out fantastic and ever increasing.

Great time to be a MMA fan i think.

and what about the TUF comment? The seasons after the junie brown shit one have been better and better, with more focus on training and preparation than the stupid drama, but all you can talk about is the drama :D Maybe time to evaluate the priorities...
JP
Site Admin

Postby SpugFab » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:23 pm

I think the comparison with other orgs is a bit poor - UFC bought its main rival to close it down and prevents other orgs from growing thanks to its rules.

Comparison with boxing is a bit clearer in my opinion. Fighters have more power, get paid far better, even in a sport which is struggling for public awareness after being raped by satellite and cable television.

A boxer can fight at world level, then get tempted back to his home country for a big domestic showdown. This raises the profile of the sport in his home country and injects much needed cash into the promotions there. UFC dominance of mma makes this virtually impossible for the martial artist. Once you are deemed UFC-worthy you have little choice but to pad out events in the US until you are cut.

I still can't give an arse about TUF. In Dana's mind it serves as a way to bring fresh talent into the UFC. Other sports have already solved this "problem". You don't need a gameshow, you need legitimate and flourishing lower levels of the sport.
SpugFab

Postby JP » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:44 pm

boxing is way more established sport - part of olympics even! Comparison doesnt quite work i think. Make much more apt comparisons to for instance thai boxing...

But i guess it is testament to MMAs rise in popularity that it is compared to boxing.

I doubt TUF is a way for UFC to get talent in - there is enough talent out there, that is not a problem. Its a venture in its own right, and creates "brand awareness" of fighters, more personally people know a fighter, more they will want to follow their career. I notice that myself, its nice to see how the guys fare after TUF shows.
JP
Site Admin

Postby XkillerX » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:12 pm

Come on, wtf happened? MORE DRAMA MORE DRAMA!!!
Next time, I'll spend the money on drugs instead.
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

Postby Clem Snide » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:03 am

Threads like this are the reason this forum is awesome. Try discussing MMA anywhere else and you won't get past two posts without the word faggot coming into use.

ARGUE ON, FAGS!
Clem Snide

Postby XkillerX » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:32 pm

Hey look guys Clem Snide is a FUDGEPACKER!!! :mrgreen:
Next time, I'll spend the money on drugs instead.
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

Postby JP » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:54 pm

BEN SAUNDERS!

he got cut off UFC after the two losses, went to another promotion and KICKED ASS

UFC said they will take him back if he improves his wrestling, so lets see...

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Saunde ... Bout-28005

his twitter:
http://twitter.com/bensaundersufc
JP
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Martial Arts