Capoeira

Styles, training, conditioning, equipment - everything related to Martial Arts.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Capoeira

Postby Bounce » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:59 pm

There's a capoeira group near to where I work and I am pondering joining...

I'm thinking of learning a self-defence because I don't always feel safe where I live. However, I'd love something which gives me a really good work out as well...

Capoeira looks amazing, but is it more for performance or can it be used as self-defence too?

Does it take a long time to be able to use as self-defence?

Obviously I'm not gonna go about picking fights! :lol:

Or maybe should I look at something else, like karate or krav maga?
Bounce

Re: Capoeira

Postby Bounce » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:07 pm

Oh just to note... We have capoeira, kick boxing and karate in my area... I have krav maga not far from my work and whilst it's expensive, it's tempting too.

Krav maga is an Israeli self-defence system for those of ya who don't know...

I'd really like something to improve my confidence on the street and also feel awesome physically! :P
Bounce

Postby lapu-lapu » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:13 pm

I think Capoeira looks great and will build strength and fitness, however i'm not sure whether its that practical as a self-defence, you will have a hard time using it on a train, bus, or in a nightclub etc where you may need something a bit more practical. But i guess it depends on what you are doing it for.
lapu-lapu

Postby Heinrich » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:06 pm

Capoeira is no use for selfdefence.

Its great fun though and that alone will rise your confidence.
Id go for things that you enjoy rather then some maximum effectiveness.
Heinrich

Postby fredrikw » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:16 pm

Bounce wrote:We have capoeira, kick boxing ...

speaking of those two...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnfIgaKvU3k
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby V VII Hero » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:06 am

I practice Capoeira.

it was used for self defense. the brasilian slaves used it to overthrow the portuguese. it was so effective it was outlawed. and anyone practicing it would have their achilles tendons severed or worse, death.
capoeira was brought back in the early 1900s and made legal because it was deemed a "tradition" of the people. it was disguised as a dance. and is played as a game between two participants inside a circle of people. accompanied by instruments and songs.
so if you think it is not useful, thats fine, thats what capoeiristas want you to think, it is all about deception.
the handstands and cartwheels are for show. when a real fight is happening, a capoeirista has a plethora of kicks, throws, headbutts, grappling moves to choose from, along with hidden knives and razorblades and other weapons of choice.

Ive used capoeira to defend myself and it has worked very well.
it is a great workout and will keep you in very good shape.
most people only see capoeira as being flashy, but when it calls for it, it can be used for self defense.
and I recommend it.
From Texas to Alaska, exploring the world.
V VII Hero

Postby V VII Hero » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:22 am

fredrikw wrote:
Bounce wrote:We have capoeira, kick boxing ...

speaking of those two...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnfIgaKvU3k

that's a horrible example of capoeira in a fight. most capoeira videos show some lame-ass dude doing a bunch of flashy moves that are unrealistic in a real fight. that is a prime example of what capoeira is not. but that is what most peoples impression of capoeira is.

Capoeira Regional is flashy and a waste. its a bunch of movements that are un-responsive to the opponent. they just move around for movements sake.
Capoeira Angola is sneaky, deceptive, and has real attacks and defense. moves are used when they are called for. a call and response movement.
if you kick, i duck. if you leave something open, i strike. and intend is to kill or break bones, and then for me to get away unharmed.

this video has some flashy moves, but his kick strikes hard:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6oiADjOdFg

Most capoeira is "played" and kicks do not follow through. it is more a game like chess, to set up moves and feints. to show the other person, you could have followed through and they would have been hurt, rather than actually kicking them (or lightly kicking them). back then capoeira was sometimes played with full contact, which resulted in broken ribs, bones, and even death.
the goal is to expose the other when they are open, to sweep them or trip them, and to encourage fluidity in movement between both people playing, while maintaining ones safeness.

if you ever practice capoeira you will understand, that is very dangerous. it just gets bad media attention when it comes to street fights.
but if you ever see a real capoeirsta fight on the streets (as say, in Brasil) then you will know.
From Texas to Alaska, exploring the world.
V VII Hero

Postby baldy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:36 am

I think a key point that people always miss is the enjoyment aspect of it. If you enjoy the training you are more likely to practise it and thus its better self defence.

Krav Maga might be the best method (I am not saying it is) of self defence, but if you get bored with it after a couple of weeks then is not much use to you.
Capoeira looks like fun and has great training vibe so you are more likely to spend time training in it.

Say you stick with Capoeira for 6 months but give up krav maga after 2 weeks, then Capoeira is a better self defence.
Plus capoeira is very sexy.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby KC Masterpiece » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:48 pm

I don't doubt that Capoeira is more than flashiness. I just think if you're looking for a martial art for self-defense purposes as the OP is:

Bounce wrote:I'm thinking of learning a self-defence because I don't always feel safe where I live.

There are more effective methods to choose from. I also want to clarify that if you have an *unarmed* altercation with Joe drunk down the street, 3 solid months of training anything will put you at a decided advantage so to that extent, Capoeira is more than capable of satisfying the OP's goals. However in my opinion, if you happen to get into it with someone who isn't a fool, other arts will serve you better.

Also, in Capoeira's defense, the video linked above is from a movie called "Never Back Down" and one hundred percent scripted.
KC Masterpiece

Postby haisuli » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:42 pm

And you can't know what the other person can do on street, what are the strong/weak points. So, if he/she is a good wrestler, you should be good kickboxer (or better wrestler) etc. to keep him/her far enough from you to avoid going ground. If opposite is good kickboxer but nothing else, you should go near and do some locks (Maga etc.) or wrestle. But if opposite is better in every section... And if he have a knife or gun.. I guess hopefully these are usually just drunk guys.

In every case mentioned above one trick will work (if there's enough space): sprint with fast legs :wink: But if it isn't really possible to run away, I would first try to give heavy front kick to belly. It's fast, quite safe (can be kicked from quite far), and if it hits, at least opposite will go backwards and maybe then running away is possible. edit: And if someone has grabbed me, I would probably first try to hook to head if possible. It's very case sensitive...

But I'll say this because I have kickboxing/boxing (and very small amount of goshin-jutsu) background!
haisuli

Return to Martial Arts