I'm new here, any other audaxers out there?

If cycling of any kind, from leisure to endurance, is your passion, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: I'm new here, any other audaxers out there?

Postby philthy builder » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:48 am

Looks like a good challenging ride.Let us know how you get on .Good luck mate.
philthy builder

Postby Gastroplodder » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:29 am

Herbsman wrote:shit...

Don't listen to me - you'll love it :)
Probably the fastest vegan elf at Abingdon parkrun

http://gastroplodder.vegebear.com/blog
Gastroplodder

Postby VeganGraham » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:57 pm

Droitwich to Clee Hill ? They'll probably be going past my house, I could have tagged on. :D
I'll be in Bristol for an 8 hour mountain bike race though.
Good luck, I hope you like hill climbing. :wink:
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby Simon E » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:29 pm

philthy builder wrote:Andy Wilkinson rode Audax,roughstuff and mtb and was a champion tester at 24hr,12hr,100miles and 50 miles .

Andy is still time trialling - he won the famous Anfield '100' ahead of Andy Bason in 2009, and took part in the Johnny Helms Memorial invitational TT the other week.

Jon, I don't know which part of the Greatest Country In The World™ you're in, but how far are you from Shrewsbury? Shropshire CTC run Audax events from near here with some good routes. Also Danial Webb does some into the Welsh hills starting near Leominster. You might be interested in Beacon Roads CC audaxes.

Availability of any kind of food in Mid-Wales is sparse but I have heard of the veggie b&b, bunkhouse and camping at Trericket Mill. I've not been there yet but I've heard it is very nice.
Simon E

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:46 am

Andy is probably one of the best cyclists ever to come from these shores.

He would easily have made it as a pro in Europe, but he is one of those people who just loves his bike, and loves riding the bike, combined with great talent. He seems just as happy doing mad touring rides, as wining big races. As long as he is on the bike, he is happy. An amazing guy !
I eat to nourish my compassion, not my greed

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby GY Jon » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:06 am

I've never met Andy Wilkinson (and I doubt I could keep his wheel for long on an audax) but he does strike me as being a brilliant amateur (his 24hr record is just a staggering feat), surely a better option than a probable average pro?

I'm pondering doing the Leominster 200k next year and the Beacons RCC, "The Montgomery Madness" seems a very tempting day out too, perhaps we should organise a Vegan Fitness meet with the boys :wink: going mountain biking on Long Mynd etc and the men (VF senior citizens?) doing 200k of hills?
GY Jon

Postby skoptic » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:24 am

Hmmm... yeah the Beacons RCC are a great bunch, I did the Cotswold 200k last year and it was brilliant. If everything goes to plan this year I'm up for a vegan / beard / audax hookup :-)
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:55 pm

If I am still around I'll come and have a look too. If I am still living in the area I can provide accommodation, if anyone wants it. I'm not far from Leominster.
I eat to nourish my compassion, not my greed

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby GY Jon » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:32 pm

It sounds like the nucleus of a plan is forming for the spring, The Cambrian (vegan food can be had in Mach at half way) from Leominster is 26 March, so only just the spring, just a winter of AAARTYing between now and a glorious spring cycle...
GY Jon

Postby ha » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:27 am

I rode PBP in 2003 in 51:30, unsupported and all vegan obviously.
raw vegan banana case that has cycled over 190 000km cycled as a vegan.

y - youtube.com/durianriders
f - facebook.com/durianrider
t - twitter.com/durianryder
b - durianrider.org
w - 30bananasaday.com

Drink up, carb up, sleep up... cos everyday is the day to live it up!
ha

Postby GY Jon » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:58 pm

That is certainly showing off (and v impressive) as I only complete a flat 200k in about 8hrs, but I guess you didn't queue a lot for French food did you?
GY Jon

Postby Gastroplodder » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:33 pm

GY Jon wrote:That is certainly showing off (and v impressive) as I only complete a flat 200k in about 8hrs, but I guess you didn't queue a lot for French food did you?

Well that's 2 hours quicker than me - though not sure I've ever done a flat 200, just the occasional less hilly one.

Gastroplodder

Postby ha » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:10 am

I had some low points in PBP where I sort of wished I had an excuse to pull out. They only lasted a few minutes at a time and in hindsight I did get dehydrated as I didnt stop for water when I should have. What kept me going was the regret that I would feel if I pulled out for no real reason. I told myself its just another 400km and Im only alive once.

I just had a string bag full of dried fruit and at each check point I would stuff my jersey pockets full. I had a few kg of dried figs and raisins for the whole trip and ran out about 100km to go and had to stop and luckily there was a check point with so much grapes and they were sugar sweet. It was surreal how much energy I had the last hour riding into paris and there was a motorbike guiding me in the right direction.

Would I do it again? I will do some aussie rides first but if PBP was a local gig, Id do it again for sure. PBP is great cos you can 'race' it or you can 'cruze' it. Either way, its an epic challenge that will leave one with memories for life. Stay carbed up and hydrated so those memories are more positive than negative. :lol:

PS: To compare ourselves with others can sometimes be very limiting as it makes us feel inferior/superior when we really should be comparing ourselves to ourself and where we are today, where we have come from and where we want to go. When I train with Cadel Evans, Lance Armstrong, Oscar Pereiro etc, I dont compare myself with them but rather use their advice to further better myself in certain aspects. Does that make sense? Avoid comparing yourself to others, just learn from em and get better.
raw vegan banana case that has cycled over 190 000km cycled as a vegan.

y - youtube.com/durianriders
f - facebook.com/durianrider
t - twitter.com/durianryder
b - durianrider.org
w - 30bananasaday.com

Drink up, carb up, sleep up... cos everyday is the day to live it up!
ha

Postby Gastroplodder » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:49 am

So is anyone here contemplating PBP 2011 :?:

It is only run once every 4 years.

I've ridden twice as a veggie and, while I'd love to complete (NOT compete) as a vegan, I'm not sure I could cope with the sleep deprivation again. I was such a muddle in 2007 I spent about 30 hrs off the bike and yet got less than 4 hrs sleep :?

Gastroplodder

Postby GY Jon » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:59 pm

I'm contemplating PBP in the most vague manner possible, I think my first SR will be more realistic and get me used to sleep deprivation/malnutrition on a bike (dried bananas and fig roles are my on the go food), 600k is still a fairly long bike ride no? Even for ha surely?
GY Jon

PreviousNext

Return to Cycling Forum