Winter VFW 2011

Forum to discuss and advertise vegan, animal, human, environmental and other vegan related events and campaigns.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Winter VFW 2011

Postby XkillerX » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:26 am

By popular demand, the official VFW2011 snow thread.

Purpose: snow, fun, vegan snow fun fun snow fun vegan(s).

Problem: killer, sophie and heinrich like off piste, downhill and park fun. Flux, sonic, fredrikw prefer XC skiing.

Option 1: RISOUL.

Date: January 2 through 9.

South France, expect 250 euros for 7 days bed + skipass, if you're from a civilised country you can travel there via train.

Apartments are for 4, 6, or 8 people.

----

Option 2: Czech republic, or Poland.

Heinrich will fill in the blank when he finds something interesting.

-----

Option 3: By popular demand: SWEDEN.

We all love sweden. Sweden loves us. Let's spread, add, substact and multiply the vegan love. ;-D

-----

UPDATE

Option 4: Les 2 Alpes.

3600m max elevation. January 22 through 29. 7 days bed, 6 days skipass, around 280 euros.

I've been informed this a very popular resort and the lift ques can take hours. (?!)

Either way shout if you like. Apartments are for 4, 6, or 8 people.
Next time, I'll spend the money on drugs instead.
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

Re: Winter VFW 2011

Postby baldy » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:39 am

Suitable for beginners?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby XkillerX » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:32 am

All. Depends on your gutts and determination.

These are technically similar sports: skateboard - wakeboard - snowboard ; inline - skating - rollers - skiing - iceskating.

If you have good body balance and plenty of gutts you can learn snowboarding in one day. If you don't , you may need 4, 10, 20, 30 days.

Skiing, on the other hand, you should ask Sophie, but my impression is that even if it is easier due to detached legs you need to spend a lot more time in skischool.

If snowboarding is your intention, I advise crashpants and wristguards at least.

Of course nobody is making you hit the slopes, you can just walk and crawl around in the forests and snow and enjoy being one with nature... It's a fantastic feeling.
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

Postby soniczip » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:04 pm

i'm in, anywhere, unless exams dates collide with the week.
i'm focusing on some kind of stuff
soniczip

Postby dublin dave » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:56 pm

Sweden for some XC really appeals to me...
dublin dave

Postby ida » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:20 pm

this sounds like fun!

I think we could find something for everyone, that is both downhill (incl fun parks etc) and xc skiing :D
there is always time for rowing
ida

Postby soniczip » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:22 pm

soniczip wrote:i'm in, anywhere, unless exams dates collide with the week.

although, to be perfectly honest, anywhere in sweden would be better :lol:
soniczip

Postby JS » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:12 am

ooo tempting............I've just booked a week in Courcheval with mates mid feb but tempted by two snow hols :)

Baldy I'm a newbie boarder and haven't picked it up in a day - I smell the fear too much methinks! I just need to learn to get through the pain. They do say ski-ing easier to get started with.
JS

Postby ida » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:14 am

Ok, so a suggestion if this would happen in Sweden is:

Funäsfjällen
or
Vemdalen

Both places are really great for alpine and xc skiing and easy access (well kind of) from Stockholm. There is a special buss departing every day from Stockholm Central station to both places during winter.

Accomondation wise there are hotels, apartments, small (2-4 beds) and bigger cabins (up to 10-15 beds in each). Prices are about the same in both places.

Prices for skipass are around 130-140 euro for 7 days. The skipass gives you free access to ski-bus that transports skiiers between the different mountains in each location. The cabins (10 beds) are about 800 euros per cabin per week, while a 4 bed cabin is about 350 euros per week. There is usually quite easy to find package deals and private held cabins that are being rented to skitourists. These tend to be a bit cheaper then the offers you can get from big skitourist companies.

Driving by car to these places from Stockholm is 500km (Vemdalen) and 570 km (Funäsdalen)
there is always time for rowing
ida

Postby dublin dave » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:12 pm

Either of the two Swedish venues sound great... 8)
dublin dave

Postby Rochellita » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:02 pm

wow- this was on the Funäsfjällen page.

'Here live free and wild herds of musk ox, bear, wolf, wolverine, eagle and lynx.'
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby barnz2k » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:38 pm

I have less than zero balance but I still enjoy falling down in the snow...
I love sweden, but wouldn't that end up costing a lot more than some of the other places? Then again... Wolverines, bears,wolves etc sounds pretty awesome.
barnz2k

Postby soniczip » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:54 pm

barnz2k wrote:I have less than zero balance but I still enjoy falling down in the snow...
I love sweden, but wouldn't that end up costing a lot more than some of the other places? Then again... Wolverines, bears,wolves etc sounds pretty awesome.

not accordingly to ida

ida wrote:Prices for skipass are around 130-140 euro for 7 days. The skipass gives you free access to ski-bus that transports skiiers between the different mountains in each location. The cabins (10 beds) are about 800 euros per cabin per week, while a 4 bed cabin is about 350 euros per week. There is usually quite easy to find package deals and private held cabins that are being rented to skitourists. These tend to be a bit cheaper then the offers you can get from big skitourist companies.

Driving by car to these places from Stockholm is 500km (Vemdalen) and 570 km (Funäsdalen)

accomodation: 80 euros per person / week
skipass 140 euros per person / week
soniczip

Postby XkillerX » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:12 pm

ETA costs four people sharing a car from Wien to Stockolm and back 100 euros each. IF we get four people to rally at Wien. (and if we can use sonic's car, the ski & board equipment takes up a LOT of space).

Bronco? Liat?

How about the others? Who's in?
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

Postby bronco » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:26 pm

XkillerX wrote:ETA costs four people sharing a car from Wien to Stockolm and back 100 euros each. IF we get four people to rally at Wien. (and if we can use sonic's car, the ski & board equipment takes up a LOT of space).

Bronco? Liat?

It is very unlikely that I would be able to make it, unless my employer suddenly fires me I won't have time :( .
JP wrote:Spirulina is a badass crew, and they often just hang around in street corners looking to beat up proteins.

They oftenget confused by the fact that they are almost half protein themselves.
bronco
Site Admin

Next

Return to Vegan activism and events