Creatine Improves Cognition In Vegetarians

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Creatine Improves Cognition In Vegetarians

Postby beforewisdom » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:34 pm

Creatine Improves Cognition in Vegetarians

Breaking news…from 2003!

I recently became aware of the following and updated the VeganHealth.org page on creatine with it:

A 2003 study of 27 lacto-ovo vegetarian and 18 vegan college students found that supplementing with 5 g of creatine per day for six weeks increased their mental capacity (1). You can get a free copy of this study at the link below under References.

There was no omnivore group so it is not clear if the supplementation would have also worked for omnivores. But in other studies on omnivores:

- Six weeks of creatine supplementation of .03 g/kg body weight per day did not improve cognitive function in a group of young adult omnivores, but the amount of creatine was only about 1 to 1.5 g/day (2).

- In elderly omnivores, four doses of 5 g of creatine per day for one or two weeks increased their cognitive function in some but not all measurements (3).
Last edited by beforewisdom on Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Re: Creatine Improves Cognition In Vegetarians

Postby ObiWanKenobi » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:53 pm

There are many ways to improve your brain function:

... Walking at least six miles a week may be one thing people can do to keep their brains from shrinking and fight off dementia ...
Link
ObiWanKenobi

Postby xrodolfox » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:03 am

learning new languages helps too...
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby JP » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:56 am

staying off crack - another good advice.
JP
Site Admin

Postby xrodolfox » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:43 pm

If you walk every day, stay off the crack, and learn a new language, it's the same as taking 3 boxes of creatine.

^My new training plan. Next up: Ayamara.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby Talyn » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:02 pm

so really, the solution is crack creatine. you get all the cognitive benefits of creatine, but none of the side effects of crack. win all round.
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby DB » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:15 pm

xrodolfox wrote:If you walk every day, stay off the crack, and learn a new language, it's the same as taking 3 boxes of creatine.

Sweet! I totally got this one in the bag.
DB

Postby beforewisdom » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:07 pm

What if you walked every day, stayed off the crack, learned a new language, took creatine and drank 4 cups of green tea a day?

There have already been articles stating that vegetarians tend to be a more intelligent group of people. If we add creatine and green to that, we could rule the world.

beforewisdom

Postby DB » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:53 pm

beforewisdom wrote: If we add creatine and green to that, we could rule the world.

Dude, I already rule.
DB

Postby Webb » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:32 am

createa
Webb

Postby etherspin » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:19 am

This strikes me as a subject we should be taking more seriously,the studies would seem to imply vegans have a lack or deficit of creatine,not that it's an optional nootropic substance.
Shunning it seems as potentially dangerous as ignoring b12 or dha

http://evolutionarypsychiatry.blogspot. ... atine.html
etherspin

Postby beforewisdom » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:51 am

Intelligence doesn't seem to be a problem in the vegan diet and AR communities.

In veg*n forums ( naturally ) I've seen articles here and there that veg*ns tend to do a little better with brain power. Whether it is better diets making people smarter or that smart people tend to think about the things more often that lead people to become vegan.

Then there is a history of thousands of years of large vegetarian populations in Asia. The current head of India is a veg for religious reasons and his sect enjoys a reputation for having very intelligent, well educated people ( "the Jews of India" ).

Leaving aside the size and number of studies and assuming that the studies are good my questions would be if taking yet another supplement, over decades of life, would hurt any of my organs? The other question would be. would there be a noticeable ( not just measurable in a clinic ) difference to me?
Last edited by beforewisdom on Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beforewisdom

Postby vegimator » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:28 pm

In some of the measures, vegetarians were higher than omnivores at baseline, by the way, and in general the memory tests between the two groups did not vary at baseline - the vegetarians just seemed to benefit much more from creatine supplementation.

Maybe it's my poor, suffering low creatine brain, but this sounds like we do okay without it.
vegimator

Postby etherspin » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:32 pm

Are you sure?
" Various cognitive tasks that were worse in the placebo vegetarians compared to creatine vegetarians are similar to those that are affected in ADHD, schizophrenia, dementia, and traumatic brain injury. "
etherspin

Postby VexedCoffee » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:02 am

But creatine causes hair loss.

I'll take vanity any day!
VexedCoffee

Next

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating