Help - motivation needed!!

If cycling of any kind, from leisure to endurance, is your passion, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Help - motivation needed!!

Postby HanNZ » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:48 am

So last year I did the taupo bike event, all 160km, I finished but not in any amazing time but did stick together with a friend which made it more fun!.

Earlier this year I did the grape ride and enjoyed that, more sensible distance of 101km! but after a winter of no cycling I am struggling to get back into it and still hate hills after losing my fitness of getting up them!!! I have joined a training squad for taupo again this year but I haven't registered because right now I don't want to do it and the friend I did it with last year isn't interested. I didn't even get up on saturday morning just gone for a training ride!! (had watched Peaceable Kingdom movie the night before, v depressing about farmed animals, lost motivation for life for a day or 2! thats my excuse anyway!)

Anyone have any inspiring words to help me!!! I really want to get my fitness back, but also to enjoy it!
HanNZ

Re: Help - motivation needed!!

Postby GY Jon » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:54 pm

Well most of around here are heading into the loooooong northern winter. Just think how jealous you can make many of us by talking of summer
GY Jon

Postby soniczip » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:53 pm

HanNZ ... do you like cycling?

if yes, do it! i could elaborate on this, but it'd be redundant :wink:
i'm focusing on some kind of stuff
soniczip

Postby HanNZ » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:17 am

ha, fair point. I enjoy it when I am fit, am not enjoying it because the hills are still hard!
HanNZ

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:58 am

HanNZ wrote:ha, fair point. I enjoy it when I am fit, am not enjoying it because the hills are still hard!

The hills are hard for us all......we just have to get fitter. Sounds like its your mindset that needs changing. Cycling is a very hard sport.......and it never gets easier, it still hurts but you just go faster. You need to start enjoying the pain.......

As Jens Voigt said "Shut up legs" !
I eat to nourish my compassion, not my greed

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby fredrikw » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:18 am

+1 on JBC

climbing will always be hard, no matter how fit you are. the difference is the stronger you are the faster you'll climb. :)
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Return to Cycling Forum