Berocca

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Berocca

Postby Bounce » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:31 am

I can't find much stuff on Berocca...

So far as I know, the soluble tablets are vegan, but I have been trying to find if the company itself is quite a bad one, if they research on non human animals, or hurt human animals...

Does anyone know?
Bounce

Re: Berocca

Postby muchluv » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:38 am

Yes, Bayer do test on animals, and yes Berocca, like any other medicine like it, will have been tested on animals. They're a large Pharmaceutical company and will test like any other.

If you trace Bayer back, IG Farben-Bayer created the gas that killed the jews in the holocaust, and I have also heard 'bought' jews to test other things on.
Although the effeminate nature of my username may suggest otherwise, my gender actually falls into the male category.
muchluv
The VF YouTube Guvnor

Postby muchluv » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:53 am

Have a look on wikipedia for Bayer, then at their controversies. I have to say, theirs is long. Many, most, ALL?! companies have some kind of dark side, and when it comes to Pharmaceutical companies, it gets a lot worse. But even compared to others Bayer probably stands out as being really bad.

Although this has nothing to do with me trying to stop you from taking berocca! lol.

I just don't like pharmaceutical companies. They are, after all, companies, and companies make money. If a pharmaceutical company could make 100 pounds a year from a drug, or sell a one of cure for 50, which are they going to do? It's not really in their benefit to actually cure people, rather make them partially better to keep selling the drug.

Sorry, I'm ranting. :P. I'm tempted to edit that last bit out because its irrelevant and depressing but I'll leave it in.

I assume from what you're saying, that maybe you are considering whether or not to buy it. It's so frustrating, isn't it? So many companies have their hand in animal testing somewhere, and if not animal testing, something other than it that's nasty :(.

LOL just read they discovered heroin, so we have that to thank them for, too
Although the effeminate nature of my username may suggest otherwise, my gender actually falls into the male category.
muchluv
The VF YouTube Guvnor

Postby thestoatyone » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:09 pm

The sainsburys berroca style disolvable vit B things are labelled as vegan. Don't know where they come from, and I guess it ain't exactly saintly, but an alternative non-the-less.
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

[quote="muchluv"]When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby powerlifer » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:31 pm

Im not fond of synthetic vitamins anyway unless you cant get from a natural source.

I prefer nutritive herbs such as nettle, alfalfa and other superfood powders over synthetic vitamins.
Organic Herbal Products, Vega Cellular Foods, Vitashine Vegan Vitamin D3 Spray + More
http://www.amlaberry.co.uk
powerlifer

Postby thestoatyone » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:04 pm

Well yeah food first and all that. I just neck one once a week to cover my B12 needs. Do not diss me on this or I'll set Ava on you :P
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

[quote="muchluv"]When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby powerlifer » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:00 pm

[quote="thestoatyone"]Well yeah food first and all that. I just neck one once a week to cover my B12 needs. Do not diss me on this or I'll set Ava on you :P

Ohh yeah dont get me wrong there is some synthetic vitamins which cant be avoided such as vitamin b12, i usually just take an sub-lingual every other day.
Organic Herbal Products, Vega Cellular Foods, Vitashine Vegan Vitamin D3 Spray + More
http://www.amlaberry.co.uk
powerlifer

Postby Hiking Fox » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:55 pm

There's no such thing as synthetic B12, according to Ava. It is produced by bacteria grown under controlled conditions, rather than bacteria you find in random amounts in animal shit.
Hiking Fox

Postby Gelert » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:39 pm

[quote="Hiking Fox"]There's no such thing as synthetic B12, according to Ava. It is produced by bacteria grown under controlled conditions, rather than bacteria you find in random amounts in animal shit.

Ava would be WRONG!!1! if she said that.

You can synthesize it pretty much from scratch (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_B1 ... _synthesis for an easy step-by-step guide for making it in your own kitchen...) but because the chemistry is so complicated it's easier/cheaper to get microbes to make hydroxocobalamin, purify it and then react it with cyanide to form the more stable form cyanocobalamin which your liver can then metabolize into the active form. So it's more of a "semisynthetic". Certainly not "naturally occurring" in the form you take it anyway.
Gelert

Postby ska face » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:47 pm

Bayer also makes Redoxon fizzy Vitamin C and Zinc which is labelled suitable for vegans on the packaging.
ska face

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating