I'm new here, any other audaxers out there?

If cycling of any kind, from leisure to endurance, is your passion, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: I'm new here, any other audaxers out there?

Postby ultra_whippet » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:25 pm

Another Audaxer here, only 100s for me so far though. I really like the relaxed nature of them, and the fact that a nice route has been planned out for me so no messing about with maps, you can just follow the route sheet and ride at your own pace. Did this one recently which was great.

fredrikw wrote:As far as I understand from friends who does quite a lot of Audax riding the pre-determined speed and the group thing with a captain is what separates it from "regular" Randonneuring. I don't think I'd have the mental strength to go on one of these longer brevets doing only 22,5km/h :)

Most of the Audaxes I've done in the UK usually have a speed range that you need to stick to, usually an average of 15-30kph for the ride, including stops - so that gives you quite a bit of flexibility.
ultra_whippet

Postby fredrikw » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:30 pm

Yep, that sounds exactly like what in many (most?) other countries are called randonneuring :) UK people with their imperial units and outrageous cycling lingo :lol:
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby ultra_whippet » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:27 pm

Don't blame me, blame the French - they started it :D
ultra_whippet

Postby skoptic » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:32 pm

fredrikw wrote:Yep, that sounds exactly like what in many (most?) other countries are called randonneuring :) UK people with their imperial units and outrageous cycling lingo :lol:

Heh - but we did invent everything in the world didn't we? :wink:
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby fredrikw » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:34 pm

skoptic wrote:
fredrikw wrote:Yep, that sounds exactly like what in many (most?) other countries are called randonneuring :) UK people with their imperial units and outrageous cycling lingo :lol:

Heh - but we did invent everything in the world didn't we? :wink:

apparently, google image search on "english invention" and "UK invention" gave me these invaluable contributions to humanity, I'm not sure what we would do without them
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby skoptic » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:17 pm

fredrikw wrote:apparently, google image search on "english invention" and "UK invention" gave me these invaluable contributions to humanity, I'm not sure what we would do without them

I rest my case .....
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:26 pm

fredrikw wrote:... Also, off-road can mean anything from gravel and fire roads, to technical trails. When I talk about off-road I mean the latter rather than the former.

c'mon down for the next Kiwi Brevet then fredrikw, I'm sure you'd enjoy it. :D Enough rough stuff to make you crave a gravel road!
Mr. Cleetus

Postby fredrikw » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:59 am

Mr. Cleetus wrote:c'mon down for the next Kiwi Brevet then fredrikw, I'm sure you'd enjoy it. :D Enough rough stuff to make you crave a gravel road!

he he, tempting, but I'm not sure I have the mental strength to go on for such a long time... but who knows, a vegan team does sound good :)
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Gastroplodder » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:05 am

We do have the rare, occasional rough stuff brevet, I dragged myself round this one a few years back, Chiltern Off-road 60. Only 12 finishers this year though :( - guess that proves your point.
Last edited by Gastroplodder on Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Probably the fastest vegan elf at Abingdon parkrun

http://gastroplodder.vegebear.com/blog
Gastroplodder

Postby GY Jon » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:56 pm

There's also a Radnor Forest off-road brevet too, I think it has 1500m+ of climb in 50k, is that up to NZ standards of hilliness? It must at least compete for number of sheep per k.
GY Jon

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:38 pm

GY Jon wrote:There's also a Radnor Forest off-road brevet too, I think it has 1500m+ of climb in 50k, is that up to NZ standards of hilliness? It must at least compete for number of sheep per k.

Not bad. I am sure we could find something that flat here. :P As far as sheep/km: you don't stand a chance unfortunately.

I'm liking the idea of a vegan team (not that there are teams...) for the next one fw! :) I think there is going to be a "mini" one this summer, and then back to 1200km the following summer.
Mr. Cleetus

Postby DanielS » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:16 am

Loving the beard jokes! So true.... :lol:

Randonneuring is called Audax in Australia too as I understand it. When I started cycling fairly often I was keen to get into Audax riding. I did 100 and 150 km rides with the local group here, which were quite enjoyable.

I started a 200km, and got about 100km in and found myself alone. That was when I realised that I was bored and my bum hurt. It was then that I decided to give crit racing a go and I never really looked back!

Have a lot of respect for cyclists that can do 200+ km rides, especially when done solo. Takes a special type of mental toughness.
DanielS

Postby Herbsman » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:07 am

Herbsman wrote:My mate is vegan and rides audaxes - I'm gonna be doing one with him in October, it's on Saturday the 16th, starting from Droitwich

Anyone else doing this? http://www.aukweb.net/cal/calsolo.php?Ride=10-517
Herbsman

Postby Gastroplodder » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:51 am

Herbsman wrote:
Herbsman wrote:My mate is vegan and rides audaxes - I'm gonna be doing one with him in October, it's on Saturday the 16th, starting from Droitwich

Anyone else doing this? http://www.aukweb.net/cal/calsolo.php?Ride=10-517

Not me but it look fun. I see it's a Gavin Greenhow ride - I think it's a new one - Gavin does a great line in quiet, rural routes of the 'yet another steep hill last resurfaced in 1942' type. It took me 3 attempts to successfully complete his 'Worcester and South Cotswolds 300'. Not always a big turnout but usually an immensely satisfying challenge. 20mm tyres NOT recommended :wink:

Nik
Probably the fastest vegan elf at Abingdon parkrun

http://gastroplodder.vegebear.com/blog
Gastroplodder

Postby Herbsman » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:03 am

shit...
Herbsman

PreviousNext

Return to Cycling Forum