Nettles. Bancha Twig Tea

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Nettles. Bancha Twig Tea

Postby beforewisdom » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:36 am

Going around the internet I have seen claims that Bancha Twig Tea and infusions of Nettles have calcium.

None of these writings mention how much, who measured it or how absorbable the calcium is.

I'm guessing that neither of these things is a dependable source of calcium. Does anyone know otherwise?

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Re: Nettles. Bancha Twig Tea

Postby Gelert » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:58 am

The other thing nettles have is oxalic acid (i.e. the stingy compound) which chelates metal cations like its going out of fashion. You end up with calcium oxalate when they react, or the stuff in kidney stones. Think on about the absorption kinetics of them!
Gelert

Postby beforewisdom » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:17 pm

Gelert wrote:The other thing nettles have is oxalic acid (i.e. the stingy compound) which chelates metal cations like its going out of fashion. You end up with calcium oxalate when they react, or the stuff in kidney stones. Think on about the absorption kinetics of them!

Drat, large amounts of oxalic acid is what makes spinach so useless as a calcium source. If I may ask, how do you know nettles have oxalic acid? At least via google I haven't been able to find any measurements about anything from a reliable source.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Postby DB » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:09 pm

I only come up with histamine or formic acid as the stinging compound. No mention of oxalic acid that I can find. Lots of chlorophyll, though.
DB

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating