Cars and leather

Armchair politics, ethical soapbox and current affairs. Place to discuss vegan ethics and general ethics and politics. Be nice.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Postby Wobbly Lifter » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:00 am

Forget about what the ideologues say and do what your comfortable with.
Better Living Through Chemistry
Wobbly Lifter

Postby Hiking Fox » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:42 am

fredrikw wrote: if a dedicated vegan can't be bothered to find non-leather alternatives, why should anyone else?

That's a good point, and the reason why I wouldn't do it ...not that I've ever bought a car! I really don't know much about 'em.
Hiking Fox

Postby Johnboy74 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:21 am

No I wouldn't buy a car with leather either, if there is a choice, the vegan choice is my choice unless there is absolutely no other choice available to me, even then I would research more to see if there really wasn't another option. I love buying things from vegan's selling vegan products, I think it's important to support veganism with the (now not so) mighty pound
****** Vegan Atheist ******
Most atheists see themselves as realists - their atheism is a part of their willingness to square up to the world as it is and face it without recourse to superstition or comforting fictions about a life to come or a benevolent power looking after us.
Johnboy74

Postby VeganEssentials » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:59 am

Jonathan wrote:However, all the cars that would be suitable (Audi A8's, Mercedes S class, BMW 7 series, Lexus) have leather upholstery. The only way to get a large car without leather is to get something from the 80's (a W126 Mercedes for instance), but a good example is far too expensive.

I have heard from quite a few people that here in the USA, there are synthetic leather options on many models from both Mercedes and BMW which are referred to as their "leatherette" interior. I don't know if they're 100% leather-free on the inside (might still be leather on the shifter or some other parts), but I've heard that the bulk of the interior is completely synthetic when you get a model with this option. If this is true, I would have to assume that they have models in your area that would be suitable (again, providing that the case isn't where it's 50% synthetic and still loaded with tons of the real stuff).

Only reason I know this is because I was in one of our supplier's BMWs once, and when I asked about it having a leather interior, she informed me that she got the leatherette package because they assured her it had no more leather detailing than any cloth seat car. But, this was a few years ago, so I don't know if things have changed.
http://www.veganessentials.com

And also...

http://www.vegancats.com

"You have become a fraction of the sum"
VeganEssentials

neeeccccrrrooomancing!!!

Postby XkillerX » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:31 pm

I've been discussing this with Vegamouse at VFW2010 and the only proper non leather sportscar we could come up with is the Ferrari F40.

I prefer younger, and (slightly) cheaper cars, but I will bend over backwards for a car that handles like on rails and looks like sex.

(And also rather not own a car than drive an everyday I-wish-I-was-dead family car)

Bring on the candidates.

Apart from the Toyota Celica (which I already have one, and it's not a proper sportscar to begin with), ARE THERE ANY OTHERS????

Porsche Cayman - supposedly there's an alcantara version. Unable to locate one, though.

The legendary 911 - all leather?!?! For the last xx years??

Mazda Mazdaspeeds - no!

Nissan Z cars - no except rare 370 models, very new and expensive!!!

BMW Z cars & Mercedes SLK - supposedly there are synth leather options - but how to tell the difference?

Evolution X - too fucking expensive, shit interior

Mazda RX8 - there are rare non leather versions, but driving a car this thirsty is simply criminally unvegan, no?!

I still have an offer for an outstanding sunset orange 350Z but I won't buy it because of the fucking leather everything. There is always the option to take the whole thing apart, throw out all leather and replace it with synthetics, but would that make any sense at all?!
Next time, I'll spend the money on drugs instead.
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

Re: Cars and leather

Postby baldy » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:44 pm

Lancia Delta Intergrale.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby sosso » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:51 pm

WRX?

I think they might still have some leather bits, like steering wheel, gear knob and gear boot cover.
sosso

Postby xrodolfox » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:10 am

^It shouldn't be.

Checked with Subaru. We have a Forester, and the "leather" looking stuff is synthetic. Only if you specify leather interiors will they wrap the steering wheel in leather, otherwise, it's synthetic.

When we got our new car (Subaru Forester), we made sure that it had no leather. It took a while, and was complicated, but we did it.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby XkillerX » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:38 pm

You people really fail to grasp the vision of futurism and the concept of 21st century visual aesthetics.

Subaru used to make cars that are so ugly - that they are pretty; but now, check out the latest impreza. It's like a dumpster truck fucked a chrysler crossfire.

If you are of the lucky few ever to check out the cockpit of a mark IV Supra, you will know what fantastic interior design means. If not, look up some photos at least.

I was even ready to compromise with the unreal pricing of the new Evolution in europe; it's reptile-like ugly exterior and bland worthless interior for the sake of a thrilling ride and a vegan friendly car.

Well, turns out that if you want ... drumfill.... cruise control! :: gasp :: in 2010, you have to buy the car with LEATHER interior??!

Ex-squeeze me?!

Same for nissan. same for mazda.

Up yours japan, this is just the kind of disgusting behaviour I'd expect from you whale killers. FUCK YOU!
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

Postby baldy » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:39 pm

Pretty much just leaves Italian cars?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby XkillerX » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:18 pm

You mean, Alfa Romeo? Since the lux brands are all leather inside out. And fiat and lancia don't make even remotely sportscars. And unfortunately, both the GT and the Brera, are absolutely beautiful, relatively cheap to buy and own,

FRONT WHEEL DRIVE

AND UTTERLY UNRELIABLE.
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

Postby baldy » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:27 pm

XkillerX wrote:You mean, Alfa Romeo? Since the lux brands are all leather inside out. And fiat and lancia don't make even remotely sportscars. And unfortunately, both the GT and the Brera, are absolutely beautiful, relatively cheap to buy and own,

FRONT WHEEL DRIVE

AND UTTERLY UNRELIABLE.

The pay for being a blonde unicorn must be good, because there is not way I could even think about buying a brand new luxury car. Are we not talking purely second hand market?

My Lancia Delta Intergrale suggestion was totally ignored, I think it would compete very well with the Subaru while still having major 80s style.
baldy
Site Admin

Postby xrodolfox » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:03 pm

I'm just saving for a Telsa roadster. with car seats.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby XkillerX » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:26 pm

naturally your suggestion was ignored, because your suggestion is older than us. Even if you suggested the Stratos, i would dismiss it.

Pay is shite but i try to follow to simple guidelines:

1. Never, ever buy a new car.

2. Never pay more than 8000 euros for a car (and try to cash in your previous for three, thus wrapping it up for 5k)

If i can find a decent sportscar here i can haggle my ass of, reduce the price to 50% sometimes, because

A) nobody buys sportscars, rich or poor

B) rich people rarely buy 2nd hand goods (matter of prestige)

But baldy you would be proud, i'm going to check out a 'shitty_car' tomorrow (toyota MR2, get it? Gelert will) and let you know how it feels.

As for the tesla, hah... It's nice to have fantasies ;-)
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

Postby fredrikw » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:12 am

aren't you too young to be looking at sports cars? I thought you had to have some sort of mid life crisis to even consider getting one...

;)
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Ethics, Politics and Current Affairs