[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
• View topic - cycling vs running avg hr

cycling vs running avg hr

If cycling of any kind, from leisure to endurance, is your passion, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: cycling vs running avg hr

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:50 pm

[quote="MikayP"]
i dont know a whole lot but most triathletes of all skill levels have a lower max hr on the bike than the run. and, in an ironman race, energy expenditure is really only 1/2 way done until you start the marathon even though time wise youve been racing for 65%ish of the overall time

You will find that it is fitness level related if you look into it and triathletes that are "equally trained" across all three will have pretty similar HR info. Ironman is not done anywhere near threshold levels and is a 9-10hr+, so that is a completely different situation and not really relevant; however, a fast IM will still be done typically at a relatively steady HR when you account for drift throughout the race. Maybe in the last 10km there is room to push the HR up on the run, but that is only if you have been getting your calories in properly and haven't cracked. :wink: If you look at HR data you will see a lot of low HRs on the run, just for that reason.... Drift is just one more reason HR can be misleading and is not particularly a good indicator - there are so many outside factors that effect one's HR (temperature, current training load, etc)
Mr. Cleetus

Postby Alistar » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:42 am

[quote="Mr. Cleetus"]
You will find that it is fitness level related if you look into it and triathletes that are "equally trained" across all three will have pretty similar HR info.

Very interesting. I suppose unless you are a professionally trained, and dedicated triathlete it would be very difficult to be equally trained amongst the respective disciplines as everyones(everyone except for the few true allrounders?) has got their least favourite disipline/s I would expect.

I don't run due a botched foot operation as a kid(was quite a talented runner too :( ), But know personally that early on in the cycle season my HR is through the roof on my usual routes on the flat or up hills. Probably 20bpm's higher for the same speed ie 30/32kph on the flat. Only later on in the season (after 2months training) can I even begin to get meaningfull comparisons from one yr to the next regarding HR info.
Alistar

Postby xrodolfox » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:14 am

[quote="Mr. Cleetus"][quote="MikayP"]You will find that it is fitness level related if you look into it and triathletes that are "equally trained" across all three will have pretty similar HR info.

I've head this, but I've never seen the evidence.

*One* race I did, that I can't download ( :evil: ), has my HR for swimming at 172 avg. I was 2nd OA out of the water that race, and I *know* I was going all out. My HR for biking was 186, and my HR for running was 175 (now I can go higher in running).

Could it be that I am not accurately measuring my HR when swimming?

Here's one such race:

"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby fredrikw » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:12 pm

I think you should include only the iFrame stuff, and not the whole web page.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby xrodolfox » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:24 pm

crud, I can't figure it out.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby fredrikw » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:28 pm

embed?
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:00 pm

[quote="xrodolfox"]
I've head this, but I've never seen the evidence.

jaaa I should have left swimming out of that - it's pretty normal for it to be lower with given reasons ranging from lower body temps in the water to less muscle mass used.

@Alistar, Most good AG triathletes will be pretty equally trained across the three - there is not a lot of room for weakness if you want to be fast. Of course there are exceptions and a tendency for some to under-train the swim, where, especially at IM distance, one might be able to overcome poor swim fitness (but I also think many underestimate the effect this has later on in their race...)
Mr. Cleetus

Postby Alistar » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:55 am

Don't mind me Mr C, it was just the cocktails talking! :oops: I've only done a couple of mini tri's and I think I was about last out of the pool due to zero swimming training :lol: Find the whole subject quite fascinating though.
Alistar

Postby soniczip » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:39 am

[quote="Mr. Cleetus"]jaaa I should have left swimming out of that - it's pretty normal for it to be lower with given reasons ranging from lower body temps in the water to less muscle mass used.

and the horizontal position of the body which allows the heart to pump more easily, i think!
i'm focusing on some kind of stuff
soniczip

Postby xrodolfox » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:48 pm

I've got to take my HR when swimming.

Most of my HR monitors get it low, but one time I race, it got my HR just as high as my other sports in the tri I did. Science. ugh.
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:45 pm

[quote="Alistar"]Don't mind me Mr C, it was just the cocktails talking! :oops: I've only done a couple of mini tri's and I think I was about last out of the pool due to zero swimming training :lol: Find the whole subject quite fascinating though.

Sorry.......

Someones got to ask.........

Are you Floyd Landis ?

Your picture is disturbingly like him ! :shock:

If you are.......how long have you been vegan ? And leave Lance alone......we all know hes innocent ! Probably......... :?
I eat to nourish my compassion, not my greed

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby Alistar » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:26 am

[quote="JohnBarleycorn"]

Are you Floyd Landis ?

Why thank you...such a good looking guy too! :lol:

[quote="JohnBarleycorn"]

And leave Lance alone......we all know hes innocent ! Probably......... :?

I'm sorry to say this John...but Lance dug his own hole :wink:
Alistar

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:37 am

[quote="Alistar"][quote="JohnBarleycorn"]

Are you Floyd Landis ?

Why thank you...such a good looking guy too! :lol:

[quote="JohnBarleycorn"]

And leave Lance alone......we all know hes innocent ! Probably......... :?

I'm sorry to say this John...but Lance dug his own hole :wink:

Oh no......not Lance too ?

Who is there left to believe in ? At least we still have Pantani !
I eat to nourish my compassion, not my greed

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby Alistar » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:56 am

:lol:
Alistar

Previous

Return to Cycling Forum