Double Ironman UK - Next Week! 07/08

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: Double Ironman UK - Next Week! 07/08

Postby Rochellita » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:46 pm

wow, something to be very proud of, congrats!
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby TMH » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:40 pm

Woohoo, skoptic! What an achievement. Well done, skoptic, well done!
TMH

Postby Gastroplodder » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:11 pm

Excellent result Skoptic - must have been really tough - well done!

I've just been looking at the website, 3rd photo from the bottom, all pan flat by the looks :lol:

http://www.enduroman.com/ultratrichampsphotos2010.html

Nik
Probably the fastest vegan elf at Abingdon parkrun

http://gastroplodder.vegebear.com/blog
Gastroplodder

Postby IronGirl » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:04 pm

Hey how are you feeling Skoptic? How are your legs?
IronGirl

Postby Alistar » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:38 am

Wow! That sounds like one incredible race! Can't even imagine doing something like that.
Sorry I didn't wish you good luck beforehand, but missed the thread.

Well done and awesome result!
Way to represent! :)
Alistar

Postby skoptic » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:34 pm

Thanks everyone :-) So I've had a nice week of doing bugger all and eating quite a lot .. brilliant. The legs are fine - but I've resisted the temptation to do ANY training, I think I'll get back into it next week, but in a nice relaxed way.

So I managed to cobble together a bit of a race report with a few photos ...

So I was in the last of 3 waves doing this race (24 in each wave) and was due to start at 2:30pm Sat afternoon. This turned out to be a mixed blessing really .. our wave was going to be up for half a day before we even started (not good for a 30 hour race!) but I was quite happy that the final few laps on the bike would just after the sun had come back up on Sun... anyways....

So I really enjoyed the swim, 304 lengths in a pool (7.6k) - in a wetsuit too :-) So one of the benefits of having such a small race is that each competitor introduced by name to line up at the start.. it was a nice touch! (OK so there were only 30 family & crew to see it - but what the heck)

I'd been hoping that everyone in our lane was going to be swimming at a similar pace rather than loads of lapping, pace changes and possible swim narkiness. Turned our perfect, someone didn't show for our lane so we went down to 3 swimmers ... and we were all pretty much the same, and very friendly.

I usually count laps (well count every 100m) - but for this, I just kept knocking the laps out, and kept an eye on the clock halfway down the lane 'cause I knew that I just need to keep going to 2 and a bit hours - waiting for the nice bod who was counting my laps to "show me float" meaning I only had 2 laps left. No food or gels - but I had a drink of High5 every 30 mins ..... and got out in 2 hrs 15 mins. The pool wasn't too hot so I was really happy to have worn the wetsuit. I think that makes a big difference, shame I can't wear one at training every week :-)

Happy to find out later that this was the 3rd fastest swim split of the day ..

I got out on the bike by about 5pm ... it was dry and clear, perfect weather. It was tricky to know where you were in relation to everyone else because there were 2 waves already out on the bike, with some athletes doing a triple and just a few doing a single as well as all us double bods. So keeping with the theme of laps... the bike course was 16 x 14 miles, quite flat .. not too busy with traffic. My crew (parents & fiancee) now stepped into full swing. They had a tent as our race HQ .. silly amounts of food and clothing and strict instructions to be the "Food Police". In other events I've got nutrition wrong, so their job was to make sure I ate, whatever crap excuses I came up with :-) ... and they did it well. I don't think I've ever eaten as much on a bike ride .. but with Ironman, you fuel for the run while you're still on the bike (easier digestion) .. so it was probably a good thing!

When I started on the bike it was quite sociable (or maybe not that sociable - but at least 'busy' as you saw and nodded at other riders) but once we were in the dark, there were few cars and all you saw were bike lights passing you, never knowing who was riding behind them (there were no streetlights for 90% of the course). The crews and organisers at race HQ were brilliant - up all night cheering us on - it was a great feeling every lap to cycle back into the HQ, with lights, happy people, hot food. But as the hours ticked by - I started to get tired. At about midnight I started to get a bit woozy and stopped for a 10 min lie down (no sleep though ..). This was loads earlier than expected - I thought I'd be fine until much later. Still the 10 mins lie down sorted me out :-)

The dark early morning hours ticked by quite slowly .. but on a some more clothes, kept shoveling the food in and waited for the sun to come back up :-) I'd slowed to about 15 mph by sunrise .... the daylight was brilliant, but I was a bit sore after 15 hours on the TT bike and didn't want to push it - I had not idea how my legs would feel for the run. By the time the day had started, the earlier waves had been finishing their bikes and the number of bikers out on the course was dropping. This isn't very nice psychologically, you feel like you're dropping behind and when you're 16 hours into a race and 200 miles on the bike - that doesn't help!

A few laps before the end my very good friend made a surprise appearance and joined the crew ... he actually turned up just as I was refusing something from the Food Police (the only time! I promise!) .. which resulted in maybe the only 30 seconds of the event where I got a bit moody :-). But it was a very minor blip.

I got off the bike at 10am and was HUGELY happy to get back on 2 feet. I know you can freewheel on a bike, but I'm happier on 2 feet - and now I was back in home territory, I knew I could finish and I felt like it was just a matter of time, er .. and 52 miles.

The run was 42 laps of a 1.25 lap ...... but actually this kind of kept me slightly sane. I've done 50 mile ultras before, and I know that when they are point to point, the start is SO FAR from the end. This ultra being laps meant you were never going to get lost (done that a few times), find a big hill (bastard hils), or wade through a river (done that too) ...

I managed the first 5 laps (half marathon) in 1:45 .. but faded from there! Most athletes were out on the run course now, and so there was more opportunity to chat... sometimes this helped you keep up the running... sometimes this made you stop and have a walk break.

I'd moved onto flat coke, clif bloks and chips at this point .. brilliant. The idea was that you ran your last lap in the reverse direction - everyone knew that you were finishing and could high 5 and congratulate each other ... great touch, that. So the afternoon came and went, I high 5'ed quite a few other people, and while I was making progress, it seemed slow. I think the delirium of sleep deprivation was kicking in now - there was NO CHANCE anyone would come this far without finishing, but I still had to finish the laps.. even if it meant 3 more hours of running.

It started to get dark again and I put on a a spurt of speed - I couldn't face going into my 2nd night with the race ... I crossed the line at just past 9pm ... a Double Ironman :-) Near the end I was telling myself that it was just me and a few triple guys left on the course, and that I was going to be one of the last to finish. Actually it turns out that this wasn't true and I managed to come 11th overall.

Swim 02:17:46
Bike 17:05:44
Run 11:21:38
Overall 30:45:10

So my year has been focused on this - and my training has taken me all over the UK doing some great events. Finishing this event tops it all off and makes it all doubly worthwhile :-). I will say though that it's not as simple as thinking that its twice as hard as an Ironman... with all the sleep deprivation and length of the event.... it's a bit tougher than that. I don't think I'll be signing up for the triple any time soon. I'm happy with my new status as a DIM finisher and I think I'll be enjoying some shorter events...... and finally having my Sundays back :-)
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:31 am

Faaaaaaaaaaaaaantastic! That's awesome skoptic. Thanks very much for the write up.

and I don't believe you; I am sure a triple (deca!) is on the cards soon! :mrgreen:
Mr. Cleetus

Postby fredrikw » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:06 am

excellent writeup, if I ever do a triathlon it sure won't be a double IM ;)

I agree with MrC, a deca is just around the corner now that you've picked up the pace! :)
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby TMH » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:00 am

Fantastic write-up skoptic and thanks for sharing. You're a motivating vegan, especially in light of the smiles in your pics. Of course, there would have been tough times during the event, but you pulled through with your inner drive and support crew. Again, well done to you, well done!
TMH

Postby vegan hal » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:37 pm

what a fantastic read!! and excellent pix. i thoroughly enjoyed that. glad you took a week off though to recuperate.
vegan hal

Postby veganlisa » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:08 pm

Great write-up, great pictures and GREAT RACE!!! It's just unbelievable what you accomplished and very inspiring. Way to represent vegans. 8)
veganlisa

Postby Clem Snide » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:18 pm

The mind boggles. You are insane. Respect. :shock:
Clem Snide

Postby Rochellita » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:42 am

Incredible, you must have been exhausted. I can imagine doing the biking bit but the running and swimming along with it- wow.
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby MikayP » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:18 am

that is incredibly impressive skoptic. when i first saw the picture of a lap pool i was like "omg mind torture!", which is what im sure it was at points, but its good to see you were able to wear a wetsuit.

like ultra runs i have a feeling these ultra-ironman events may become more popular in the near future.

really inspirational man, hard to imagine what those legs felt like after the first marathon after being on the bike for that long
Triathlon Coaching - http://www.PortmanCoaching.com

Facebook Page- http://www.facebook.com/PortmanCoaching

Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/MikePortman

Strava - http://app.strava.com/athletes/mike_portman
MikayP

Postby IronGirl » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:06 pm

Thanks for the great report Skoptic. Great job on wearing your Vegan kit thoughout the race. That and your smiles will have sent out a fantastic message for Veganism. You are inspirational. :D
IronGirl

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness