SS's Pete Bethune on ARZ this weekend

Forum to discuss and advertise vegan, animal, human, environmental and other vegan related events and campaigns.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

SS's Pete Bethune on ARZ this weekend

Postby Sunkanrags » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:39 am

Captain Pete Bethune is expected to clarify the status of Sea Shepherd as a conservation group and not an animal rights organisation, talk about why he eats meat and fishes, his time in a Japanese prison and his commitment to biofuels.

Pete Bethune is a New Zealand conservationist and a member of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society. After establishing the current world record for the fastest trip around the world in a power boat, the Earthrace, Pete recommissioned his boat as the Ady Gil and began using it in anti-whaling campaigns with Sea Shepherd. The boat was sunk in an incident involving the Japanese whaling vessel Shonan Maru 2 in January, 2010.
In February, 2010, Pete boarded the Shonan Maru 2, to conduct a citizen's arrest on the Captain, Hiroyuki Komiya, alleging attempted murder and to present a claim for $3 million for the loss of the Ady Gil. Pete was subsequently detained by the crew and taken to Tokyo, where he was arrested. He was indicted on 5 charges.

On July 7, after being held for 5 months, Pete received a suspended sentence and returned to his home in New Zealand.

Pete has generously agreed to share, with ARZone members, his personal experiences as Captain of the Ady Gil, his subsequent incarceration and his conservation work and philosophies.

This is an event for which questions must be registered with ARZone; this may be done by contacting Carolyn, Dan or Jason directly through ARZone.

ARZone promotes rational discourse and intelligent dialogue and encourages participation in this event.
CHAT TIMES:

3pm -- Sat 31st -- Pacific Time
4pm -- Sat 31st -- Mountain Time
5pm -- Sat 31st -- Central Time
6pm -- Sat 31st. -- Eastern Time

11pm -- Sat 31st -- UK Time

8am -- Sun 1st -- Australian Eastern Standard Time
10am - Sun 1st -- New Zealand Standard Time

To find your time for this chat, please use this conversion site, or feel free to ask Carolyn or Jason for help:
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html
Sunkanrags

Re: SS's Pete Bethune on ARZ this weekend

Postby XkillerX » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:40 pm

How 'bout a quick rundown for those of us who missed this?
Activists are the engineers of the soul. That's why governments lock them up.
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

Postby mabli » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:27 pm

If you regsiter with ar zone you normally get sent a transcript but I didnt this time, otherwise i would have sent it to you
mabli

Postby xJimx » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:50 am

That sucks, was I alone in thinking that SS was a pro-vegan group? Sad if they're just another bunch of selectively compassionate welfarists :?
DYEL
xJimx

Postby mabli » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:20 am

[quote="xJimx"]That sucks, was I alone in thinking that SS was a pro-vegan group? Sad if they're just another bunch of selectively compassionate welfarists :?

agreed, i thought most of their voyages served only vegan food and the vegan society had sponsored them a number of times... oh well, they still do great work imo but dont know how or why Pete Bethune would justify eating animals
mabli

Postby vegan hal » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:30 pm

i'm sure some crew members aren't vegan, but I'm pretty confident that they're completely vegan on their voyages. i'm guessing this is about PR. they don't want to look like "vegan extremists." I think they want to appeal to the more generic environmentalist.
vegan hal

Postby etherspin » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:59 pm

I think yes,they partly do not want to look like "vegan extremists" but moreso I dont trust Watson himself is vegan (he is constantly rambling about image and the value of perception & deception) and I think if they are trying to maintain the widest base of support they can, they realise if they serve plant based on board they can get more volunteers from the AR crowd and of course glean more donations.
etherspin

Postby Sunkanrags » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:29 am

[quote="mabli"][quote="xJimx"]That sucks, was I alone in thinking that SS was a pro-vegan group? Sad if they're just another bunch of selectively compassionate welfarists :?

agreed, i thought most of their voyages served only vegan food and the vegan society had sponsored them a number of times... oh well, they still do great work imo but dont know how or why Pete Bethune would justify eating animals

Carolyn Bailey of ARZone chased Capt Bethune up about his "move" towards veganism, which he mentioned in his chat session. He's essentially confirmed that he's not going vegan (or vegetarian it seems) on the weird grounds that he is "not perfect" - a point he also made during the chat session.

Since when has veganism been associated with being perfect?

rags
Sunkanrags

Postby XkillerX » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:20 pm

what a tool :S

maybe he's that guide registered as 2097.
Activists are the engineers of the soul. That's why governments lock them up.
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

Postby etherspin » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:07 am

the paul watson follow up confirmed my suspicions , SS is "vegan" as in , eat mostly plant based for environmental reasons.
he said this should be clear as they are a conservation organisation - meaning its about keeping species around either to maintain an eco system or for our viewing pleasure BUT he has stories about his magical encounters with whales, like the time a dying whale altered its course midair after being harpooned, so that it wouldnt crush his little boat as the whale understood they were trying to save it...

speciesism based on intelligence!

** disclaimer ** I respect vegan friends onboard who are there for AR reasons
etherspin

Return to Vegan activism and events