Dumbbell Table?

Home of strength: powerlifting, olympic lifting, grip strength, strongman, odd object lifting, explosive power...

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Dumbbell Table?

Postby Steven-R » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:51 am

Any interest in compiling a similar table for lifting dumbbells? I prefer to work unilaterally, so I don't do much with barbells.

Right now I snatch a 70 lb(154 kg) dumbbell at 147lb(323 kg) BW, and I don't know if that's particularly good or not.
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
My website and blog about fitness, bodywork, and health:
http://stevenricefitness.com/
Steven-R

Re: Dumbbell Table?

Postby sosso » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:57 am

70 lbs = 31.75 kg and 147 lbs = 66.6 kg.

As far as the table goes, it could be interesting.. what type of lifts would be on the table? Snatch & clean and press?

sosso

Postby Steven-R » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:31 pm

Whoops, dumb math error!

The other dumbbell exercise that I'd like to see is a single arm(contra-lateral), single leg Romanian Deadlift.

The SL-RDL is an awesome lift, fairly common, and is close to a barbell standard.
My website and blog about fitness, bodywork, and health:
http://stevenricefitness.com/
Steven-R

Postby SpugFab » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:21 pm

Snatch and clean and jerk could work I think. JP has a dumbell clean and jerk in a competition soon so he'd be all over it.

The main trouble with dbells is finding heavy enough ones though. My gym goes up to 60kg which I think is ok, I'd wager I could put that overhead though (probably more times than JP). This would be more of a problem with some kind of deadlift variation wouldn't it? What kind of weight can be moved with a single-arm single-leg deadlift?

Having said that, nothing wrong with starting up a table and seeing how it goes. Could add or remove exercises if they are working or not.
SpugFab

Postby JP » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:19 pm

yeah we have a loadable dumbell handle at my gym, plus "circus dumbell" style ones of 82kg and 102kg (only one has lifted that overhead).

i have done 45kg snatch and 60kg clean and overhead for a double - but i am not very good at dumbell stuff.

In general dumbell table is a nice fun, i bet, but i think always best to train with lifts that are widely done to get better understanding of progress and level. The crossfit style single leg stiff leg dumbell deadlift on a stability ball max has 0 meaning really :D
JP
Site Admin

Postby FAQ » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:34 pm

I would support the idea of an official (sticked thread) DB strength table or unofficial if it was for upperbody DB exercises (power versions) snatch, clean, clean & jerk, clean & press, jerk, strict press, push press, bench press. It sounds great!

I only use DB for upperbody work because of a huge discrepency (mispelled) in strength between my right and left arm due to a long-term injury.

Eventually a person will be limited by grip strength doing lowerbody DB exercises. And I don't think lowerbody DB strength exercises are as impressive as BB back squats, BB front squats, or BB deadlifts unless a person has an injury.
Last edited by FAQ on Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
FAQ

Postby JP » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:04 pm

there are tons of challenges and races and tables running around the power & strength section all the time, which are not stickied :) The only ones stickied at the moment are more official strength indicators - keeps them in some kind of status i think :D
JP
Site Admin

Postby FAQ » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:00 am

(Any variation of the O-lifts)
1. DB Snatch
2. DB Clean & Press (any press or jerk)
3. DB Clean
4. DB Jerk
5. DB Bench
6. DB Push Press
7. DB Strict Press

I am curious to know what is considered to be a strong DB overhead press and bench press for a normal person not freaks like Derek Poundstone and Ronnie Coleman.
FAQ

Return to Power and Strength