Fat thighs - toning?

Yoga, Pilates, Body Balance and variations, general stretching and flexibility discussion.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Fat thighs - toning?

Postby anna2239 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:01 pm

I have seriously massive thighs - they are about 23" at their widest, but my waist is only 26.5"-27" now.

I'd like my thighs to be a bit smaller (I especially want them to stop rubbing together). Can I achieve this through toning them with yoga/pilates etc.? I know that you can't spot reduce, but my friends appear to think that my thighs are big because I need to tone them.

Or am I right in thinking that you can make your stomach smaller by toning it, but my thighs will just get bigger if I exercise them more? And the only option is to lose weight?

(My current exercise regime is just running 2-3 times per week, which I started a couple of months ago, and a lot of walking - I think I need to do a wider range of exercise anyway).
anna2239

Re: Fat thighs - toning?

Postby fredrikw » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:11 pm

Spot reduction of fat is not possible, if you want to reduce fat on some part of your body you need to aim at losing weight. Don't worry about your thighs getting larger from training, that's highly unlikely.

There are many strange myths about training floating around as truths, spot reduction of fat and explosive growth of body parts when training is two of the most common :)
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Big Foot Marty » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:52 pm

wHAT IS YOUR BODY WEIGHT??
Your body Mass index? how much fat do you need to lose?

Focus training on calorie burn and more specifically Fat Burning

Walking/Running is great- Use a Heart rate Monitor- no need to get fancy

Subtract your age from 180 and workout at or just below that Heart rate for 45-75 minutes 4-6 times a week. ( ie- age 40= 180-4- is 140 heart rate)

This is relatively easy but will burn the most fat and allow you to go longer.
Former football player now a runner and new Vegan. Run several marathons and other races now trying to learn how to eat and thrive on Vegan diet. And run successfully for Fun... Blogs - http://veggierunnereating.blogspot.com/
Big Foot Marty

Postby XkillerX » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:35 pm

anna2239 wrote:I have seriously massive thighs - they are about 23" at their widest, but my waist is only 26.5"-27" now.

I'd like my thighs to be a bit smaller (I especially want them to stop rubbing together). Can I achieve this through toning them with yoga/pilates etc.? I know that you can't spot reduce, but my friends appear to think that my thighs are big because I need to tone them.

Or am I right in thinking that you can make your stomach smaller by toning it, but my thighs will just get bigger if I exercise them more? And the only option is to lose weight?

(My current exercise regime is just running 2-3 times per week, which I started a couple of months ago, and a lot of walking - I think I need to do a wider range of exercise anyway).

Why not try weight loss pills too? They are just as useless.

FFS. If your thighs are that huge you have serious life problems, you need serious changes in your life, not yoga and pilates.

FORBIDDEN: coffee, drugs, smoking, alcohol, junkfood, sittin on your arse all day.

DO: swim, sweat, swim, sweat, swim, sweat, swim, sweat.

Swimming is so much better than running. Sweating is so much better than just walking. Be creative with your sweating: after an hour of constant swimming, take a nap in scorching heat (free tan FTW!); take command and take it to the limit while having sex; go to the sauna; go to an asian monsoon country, whatever

EAT: VEGETABLES AND NUTS. Fruit is allowed before training. Eat lots. NO CHEATING!! VEGETABLES AND NUTS!!

DRINK: TEA AND WATER. AND NOTHING ELSE!

Supplement: omega 3, minerals, b12, protein powder (if not eating plenty nuts)

RUNNING: only heart attack, aka HIIT running (tabata, fartlek, whatever you call it). Dont stop until you puke.

By all means do some yoga and pilates with all this. Whatever makes you feel great. But do the above until you achieve desired results no matter how trashed, sad, bad or mad they make you feel.

It's a 6 month investment in your body that you will appreciate for the rest of your life. Your call.
Next time, I'll spend the money on drugs instead.
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

Postby JP » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:50 am

wait a minute, is killer trying to motivate, or discourage here :lol:
JP
Site Admin

Postby KaliBaby » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:07 am

XkillerX wrote:take command and take it to the limit while having sex....

aren't you a bottom? :P
Live by the sea. Love by the moon.
KaliBaby

Postby baldy » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:25 am

KaliBaby wrote:
XkillerX wrote:take command and take it to the limit while having sex....

aren't you a bottom? :P

Always have a safe word.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby skoptic » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:32 am

I've never heard anyone say 'stop running it's useless, go swimming instead' ... but having said that I've got nothing against swimming.

So it is general exercise you need like fredrik says. Having said that - running will help tone legs by making them more muscly (NOT bulky!) I think running will do this a lot more than swimming will really. In the world of runners, only sprinters have 'bulky' legs - the vast majority of serious runners have lean non-bulky legs. Running is usually accepted to be one of the most effective cardios for weightloss, although 'they' found that static rowing is a tiny bit better (larger muscle groups used they said). I'd say increase your running - not necessarily heart attack style - but you need to have done a good session each time (i.e. not 20 mins without really sweating ;-))

+1 on the sex and various other things though :-)

Good luck :-)
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby XkillerX » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:04 pm

KaliBaby wrote:aren't you a bottom? :P

nope, i'm an ass.

swimming activates far more muscles than running. therefore: swimming >> running

if you dont have the opportunity to swim, then sure, run all you can, but may I suggest joining an athletic club? with educated professionals who will teach you proper running?

i've seen so many people who are horribly overweight just go ahead and get running, thinking DUHH ANYBODY CAN RUN, and then trashing their joints, knees, ankles, hips, spine and everything else in the process.

Think, then act.
Next time, I'll spend the money on drugs instead.
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

Postby BlueRose » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:17 pm

What they said above PLUS:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/89313 ... abductors/
http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/ ... exercises/

If you like DVD routines, I will wholeheartedly either recommend Brazil Butt Lift or Slim in 6. They are AWESOME. Down almost 3" in each thigh, waist right now is hovering at 23.5/24" to give you an idea but I just started Insanity and I have a small bone structure.
rational romantic mystic cynical idealist.

Vegan Women's Bodybuilding & Fitness on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1421637141388613/

Doing Les Mills Combat and loving it!
http://www.TeaAddictedGeek.com
BlueRose

Postby Clem Snide » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:10 pm

What is toning, anyway? Is it just a word invented to sell muscle development to women? The way they invented 'grooming' to sell beauty products to men.
Clem Snide

Postby hardcore iv » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:50 am

Clem Snide wrote:What is toning, anyway? Is it just a word invented to sell muscle development to women? The way they invented 'grooming' to sell beauty products to men.

Yes, just minus actual muscle development :lol:
"When you are born, you are set forth to die. The fact that you live or don't live between these two dates depends solely upon your own will, opportunities and desires. The weight exerciser, of course, indicates that he chooses to live." Joseph Curtis Hise
hardcore iv

Postby sosso » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:16 am

My gym has a "toning zone". I'm not really sure what it's for, but the PT's seem to like it.
sosso

Postby Linnéa76 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:58 pm

Wait a minute... 23 inches is hardly "seriously massive" unless you're extremely short! Nothing wrong with your waist/thigh ratio either. If your body fat percentage is a bit higher than necessary I guess you could try lose a few pounds. If it's mostly muscle, I say don't worry about it!
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Postby Talyn » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:28 pm

Nothing wrong with big thighs, it means a big squat! :lol:
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Next

Return to Yoga, Pilates, Body Balance Forum