Tai chi

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Tai chi

Postby israel » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:39 pm

I wanted to hear from pepole who train with tai chi about what did it help them in - for what its good ?

I want to know if someone felt a diffrenece in something for the better ? did someone try it and it didnt change a thing ?

How much time until it worked for you ? and what it did ?
my blog thats about simple recipes (vegan) :

http://reallysimplefood.blogspot.com/
israel

Re: Tai chi

Postby israel » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:55 pm

can some moderator move this to the general area - im not sure if it belongs here

israel

Postby baldy » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:02 pm

israel wrote:I wanted to hear from pepole who train with tai chi about what did it help them in - for what its good ?

I want to know if someone felt a diffrenece in something for the better ? did someone try it and it didnt change a thing ?

How much time until it worked for you ? and what it did ?

As no one else replied I can give you my 2 cents.
I did tai chi for a couple of months years and years ago. It was pretty cool, I was not looking to get anything in particular from it. It did not change my life in the way other things have.

What would you like to get out of it? Why not give it a couple of months and see what its like?

I assume like other martially art type things, it will vary a lot between schools, styles and teachers.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby israel » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:41 pm

Well i heared its good for lots of things - the thing i really want is to help me with my concentration problem -

and now i wonder if it can help me with my shoulder problem as well

i wonder if tai chi for Arthritis can help me - but again i mainly want it for my concentration problem

but i do want to hear how it helped pepole in different areas - i guess i want to be sure i wont do something for 5 months and find out then its just bullshit ( more conected to nature ? )

israel

Postby baldy » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:51 pm

israel wrote: i guess i want to be sure i wont do something for 5 months and find out then its just bullshit ( more conected to nature ? )

Just do it, 5 month is nothing.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby israel » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:05 pm

Right - I would do it -

I am still interested to hear about pepoles experience with tai chi

israel

Postby thestoatyone » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:25 pm

I did it yonks ago;

very relaxing, which was nice

helped my posture and body awareness, which was also nice

Do it, you might like it!
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

muchluv wrote:When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby vegimator » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:35 pm

A concentration problem could be a nutrition issue. Make sure you're getting enough iron, b-12 and vitamin d.
vegimator

Postby CoeyCoey » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:46 am

Tai Chi Chuan is excellent for balance, focus, power, strength, flexibility, breathing, relaxation, etc. If you are doing it for self defense, it can take years or decades to master. However, it is consider one of the most powerful fighting forms in the world. I really need to get back into it.
CoeyCoey

Postby baldy » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:21 pm

CoeyCoey wrote:Tai Chi Chuan is excellent for balance, focus, power, strength, flexibility, breathing, relaxation, etc. If you are doing it for self defense, it can take years or decades to master. However, it is consider one of the most powerful fighting forms in the world. I really need to get back into it.

Not sure who considers it the "most powerful fighting forms in the world".
baldy
Site Admin

Postby CoeyCoey » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:25 pm

baldy wrote:
CoeyCoey wrote:Tai Chi Chuan is excellent for balance, focus, power, strength, flexibility, breathing, relaxation, etc. If you are doing it for self defense, it can take years or decades to master. However, it is consider one of the most powerful fighting forms in the world. I really need to get back into it.

I said it is considered one of the most powerful fighting forms. Please don't misquote people in an attempt to start a debate. It just makes you look like a snert.
CoeyCoey

Postby Heinrich » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:46 am

CoeyCoey wrote:
baldy wrote:

I said it is considered one of the most powerful fighting forms. Please don't misquote people in an attempt to start a debate. It just makes you look like a snert.

It is considered one of the most powerful fighting forms, by who?
Heinrich

Postby baldy » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:16 am

CoeyCoey wrote:
baldy wrote:

I had to look up what a snert was, pea soup apparently. Sorry for the misquote. I should have said I am not sure who (else) considers it "one of the most powerful fighting forms in the world". I still dispute that it is a particularly powerful fighting form.

I think this needs to be solved by finding some youtube clips of Tai Chi vs Karate/BJJ/Boxing etc.. fights

Anyway israel did not mention anything about fight in his original post. So not relevant to this thread.
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Clem Snide » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:15 pm

Done it for 6 years, it's fab.

It is a martial art and a perfectly effective one, when taught as it should be. It's not especially different to any other fighting style in terms of how you fight - kick, punch, grapple etc.

There are an unfortunate number of schools doing a soft non-martial form, but claiming it is an invincible fighting style due to their enormous chi explosions etc etc. But there are plenty of these in every corner of the MA world.

Many people do the form alone, just for relaxation - which is great of course. If you're not interested in the martial style than lots of schools (most, in fact) focus just on the relaxation element. Obviously, just doing the soft form will not teach you to fight.

baldy wrote:I think this needs to be solved by finding some youtube clips of Tai Chi vs Karate/BJJ/Boxing etc.. fights

I think Youtube fanboy 'style vs style' videos can be safely ignored by all grown-ups. You snert!
Clem Snide

Postby israel » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:25 pm

I am so intersted to talk about this as an art form that is why later i will open a new form and will call it does kong fu really works ?? - and will talk about it and tai chi and youtube videos ect - but i really am doing this for the focus and also now maybe it can help me rehab my shoulders

So please lets not talk about it as an martial art cause while it very much interst me its not the main intrest at all - last on my list

one thing i am trying to understand is that for health reasons its better doing qigong then tai-chi - did i get it right

israel

Next

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness