*All New and Improved* 2010 Wattage Table

If cycling of any kind, from leisure to endurance, is your passion, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: *All New and Improved* 2010 Wattage Table

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:03 am

Herbsman wrote:Can a watts/kg section be added? Perhaps only for significant times, whatever you think they may be.Obviously maximum is going to be one.

not until you provide us with some watts! :twisted: I could do, all of the info is there. It just means I would have to futz with that delicate table, which could be a disaster...
Mr. Cleetus

Postby fredrikw » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:37 am

I'd argue that W/kg is far more interesting than absolute max values cyclists (perhaps apart from track cyclists), so if any number should be there it really should be W/kg... but then again, I'm not the one dealing with the table, or have much to report for that matter :? But soon I'll be able to report some proper power values regularly.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:40 am

fredrikw wrote:I'd argue that W/kg is far more interesting than absolute max values cyclists (perhaps apart from track cyclists), so if any number should be there it really should be W/kg... but then again, I'm not the one dealing with the table, or have much to report for that matter :? But soon I'll be able to report some proper power values regularly.

I completely agree on all accounts! You're perfectly welcome to take over the table fredrikw. 8)

are you hinting that you are buy a PM?
Mr. Cleetus

Postby fredrikw » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:09 am

not a power meter but a stationary weight ergometer bike. having a power meter on a MTB is not that useful (although of course fun and interesting), and these stationary bikes are gaining in popularity at least here in Sweden among cyclists because of their accuracy and reliability.

taking over the table? nah, I think you're doing a great job with it, no need to change anything 8)
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby ultra_whippet » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:21 pm

fredrikw wrote:not a power meter but a stationary weight ergometer bike. having a power meter on a MTB is not that useful (although of course fun and interesting), and these stationary bikes are gaining in popularity at least here in Sweden among cyclists because of their accuracy and reliability.

Interesting, I just sold mine as I wasn't getting enough use out of it, but it was a million times better than a turbo trainer. Which one are you thinking of getting?
ultra_whippet

Postby fredrikw » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:18 pm

A Monark Ergomedic 874E, stripped version which means it comes without bottom bracket, crankset, pedals, chain, saddle and handle bar (which you would switch anyway).

These stationary test bikes are growing in popularity here in Sweden now, a lot of cyclists have them and use them throughout the winter and even to for fine variations during the racing season. Looking forward to trying it out, but it's not coming for another four weeks (the factory is closed for the summer at the moment).
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby ultra_whippet » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:54 pm

Sweet, we used to have a Monark at the gym for fitness testing, really solid bit of kit. I was distraught to learn that the management decided to throw it in a skip when they refurbished the gym :(
ultra_whippet

Postby fredrikw » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:51 pm

really? that's a real waste of a good machine... it was probably in good condition as well, they're almost unbreakable and not many things on it that can be worn down.
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Herbsman » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:21 pm

I wish I had a power meter :(
Herbsman

Postby Seitanist » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:24 pm

My final, post-season numbers. I improved a lot this year!

1 sec/max: 1301
5sec: 1301
30 sec: 933
1 min: 679

everything else is the same I think.
The devils of past religions have always, at least in part, had animal characteristics, evidence of man's constant need to deny that he too is an animal, for to do so would serve a mighty blow to his impoverished ego. -Anton LaVey
Seitanist

Postby JP » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:36 pm

just had a go at wattbike again for max wattage at the student welcome fair

thanks to fredriks tips (details of which i forgot so just asked the people to ramp everything to highest resistance possible) got 1707 watts, even though didnt feel all that strong doing it.

chris hoys 2000 watts is just around the corner...
JP
Site Admin

Postby Herbsman » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:41 am

I found out that I output 16.73 watts per kg. I feel this is a bit low - can anyone recommend ways to improve my power?
Herbsman

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:42 pm

Table is updated!

@Seitanist - funny that your max and 5s are the same. I think that is not really your max!! :)

Hey JP, why don't you train on the bike once or twice, maybe you'd break Hoy ;) actually, I have no idea if riding would actually make any difference to your max (in addition to all of your strength training). Seems the specificity of it must somehow tho, eh?
Mr. Cleetus

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:09 am

Herbsman wrote:I found out that I output 16.73 watts per kg. I feel this is a bit low - can anyone recommend ways to improve my power?

Jeeez......you're the greatest cyclist that ever lived ! Even the Grand tour winners are only putting out 6watts per kg !

A great future awaits you !

Alternatively, the figures may not be accurate. The watts per kg protocol is usually taken as your average watts over a one hour ftp test, or over twenty minutes, minus 5%, as one hour is terribly stressful.

To develop more power, its back to a programme of 5x4 mins and 3x20 mins every week. No escape !
I eat to nourish my compassion, not my greed

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby JP » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:33 am

Mr. Cleetus wrote:Hey JP, why don't you train on the bike once or twice, maybe you'd break Hoy ;) actually, I have no idea if riding would actually make any difference to your max (in addition to all of your strength training). Seems the specificity of it must somehow tho, eh?

yeah it must. Hoys 2000 doesnt look so bad now :D

But fredrik can testify, once i do couple laps in velodrome i suck real bad :D Whereas he was able to maintain great speed for a very long time.

This max watt test doesnt have much to do with cycling... though with correct technique, right tested settings and cycling boots i think i could crawl that remaining 300 watts (this statement may have been made under the influence of crack cocaine). But all that sounds like a lot of work, so it might not get done :lol:
JP
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Cycling Forum