Computer Gaming Fanatics Thread

Music, movies, literature, art, poems...

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: Computer Gaming Fanatics Thread

Postby Andrewc » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:25 pm

Late pass, but Resident Evil 5. Urgh. Amazing visuals, horrible controls. It's in much the same run and shoot style, over the shoulder view of Resident Evil 4 on PS2 - which I hated as much as this release. I really wish that for the platform's (PS3) first installment of the Resident Evil series it should have remained in it's original 3rd person top down/cinematic type view. It's now just zombie after zombie, ammo and other equipment littered throughout the maps, rather than the suspense and constant fear of something terrible going to happen and limited ammunition that the original format gave. I don't think I'll ever bother to finish this game. I'd much rather play Resident Evil 2 on the PSX over and over again.
Andrewc

Postby SpugFab » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:07 pm

Did you complete MGS4? I've played through a few hours of it, might come back to it sometime. I tend to play games on hard, actually found MGS4 pretty challenging. You have to be patient. The story lines and cutscenes are insane.

I've got RE5 to play through yet. Tried to convince the wife to play through it co-op style a year or so ago. She was ok to begin with, shooting the zombies on the first level as they attack the hut you're holed up in. When you run outside and have to survive for a while she couldn't handle the camera control and gave up. I think game designers forget how tricky it can be to control the camera on the right stick when you are a beginner.
SpugFab

Postby Andrewc » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:04 am

I haven't finished MGS4 yet, but as you said the cutscenes require a lot of time.

I like the use of the right stick in RE5 but it feels very slow to look around, I also don't like that the inventory is now accessed during gameplay rather than it pausing while you equip/combine/share, etc. Also sprinting whilst trying to look around corners is very difficult without curling your index finger up to hold the X and the right stick with your thumb. It's just much more far fast paced than I would have like from Resident Evil.
Andrewc

Postby Johnstuff » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:18 am

MGS4 is awesome, I'm only halfway through but think I'll play it from the beginning as the story is pretty confusing and I havent played it for a few months.
"these songs of guidance never stop the violence, we need strong defiance"
Johnstuff

Postby SpugFab » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:13 pm

Found this little gem online:

http://www.e4.com/game/janey-thomson-s-marathon/play.e4

Bit like Daley Thomson's Decathlon, or Track and Field, but longer distances.

What's your best time?
SpugFab

Postby XkillerX » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:36 am

Well hello all you gaming fagg^H^Hnatics, FOR THOSE OF YOU HAVEN'T NOTICED, AFTER 12 YEARS OF WAITING ***STARCRAFT 2*** IS HERE ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

And it's fantastic. Stayed up until 5 in the fscking morning playing it. Seriously overpriced, but a seriously good game.
Next time, I'll spend the money on drugs instead.
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

Postby skoptic » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:11 am

SpugFab wrote:Found this little gem online:

http://www.e4.com/game/janey-thomson-s-marathon/play.e4

Bit like Daley Thomson's Decathlon, or Track and Field, but longer distances.

What's your best time?

My best time was playing it for 2 minutes ... talk about RSI!!!! Now if I had a coin and the arcade buttons that would be a different story :-)
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby Fallen_Horse » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:32 pm

XkillerX wrote:Well hello all you gaming fagg^H^Hnatics, FOR THOSE OF YOU HAVEN'T NOTICED, AFTER 12 YEARS OF WAITING ***STARCRAFT 2*** IS HERE ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

And it's fantastic. Stayed up until 5 in the fscking morning playing it. Seriously overpriced, but a seriously good game.

Ya, Blizzard continues its domination. Not something I would pay for at the current price, but I will pick it up when the price goes down a bit. The voice acting is impressive, even if the missions seem a little stretched. Kill 100 infected buildings? 100!
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby SpugFab » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:37 pm

I want to check out Starcraft, but I'll leave it a while first.

Playing Resident Evil 5 again, wee bro is down for a visit so trying out some co-op action.
SpugFab

Postby XkillerX » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:01 am

XkillerX wrote:Well hello all you gaming fagg^H^Hnatics, FOR THOSE OF YOU HAVEN'T NOTICED, AFTER 12 YEARS OF WAITING ***STARCRAFT 2*** IS HERE ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

WELL THAT SUCKED!!!!! The single player campaign had maybe a total of 20 hours of gameplay :roll:

And again Blizzard turned out to be complete assholes and hid away a mission that should seriously expand the plot. Or bring it to closure. Or whatnot.

So after a 20 hour gaming retrospective here goes:

* FANTASTIC UI. It's like the UI i would've wanted for the original starcraft. LOVE IT!
* Can you say, TOO MANY FUCKING UNITS??? And talking only about the humans here - did not play multi. Who the fuck is going to use reapers and hellions and diamondbacks and wraiths and ravens and blahblahblah. You build tanks and battlecruisers! No, wait, there's an even bigger tank now, it's a gigantic walker, can attack everything and anything, and when it dies, you can revive if for a small fee! What else do you need?
* Loving the mercenary concept. Nevermind basebuilding, just gather some money and buy elite troops.
* GORGEOUS GRAPHICS, DESIGN, SOUND, IMMERSION!!!

now the bad:

* Horrible storyline. Like, Fallout 3 horrible. The dialogues are childish and riddled with cliches, all the male characters got biceps TWICE as big as their heads (biceps inflation since the 90s), they all smoke, drink, brawl and are all heroes and shit. I thought Bad Company 2 was stereotypical, but this is just horrible.
* Oh yeah. The plot. Argh. In a couple of words the plot is just as bad as the cut scene where Zergls are happilly flying through space. With wings. :x

I mean really. The terrans and protoss are hyperjumping and dimension warping yet the Zergs fly their asses about in space ( .... ) and seem to catch up, or hell, even get there before everybody else!??!

Fallen_Horse wrote:Ya, Blizzard continues its domination. Not something I would pay for at the current price, but I will pick it up when the price goes down a bit. The voice acting is impressive, even if the missions seem a little stretched. Kill 100 infected buildings? 100!

Heh?! There's no mission that stupid. There was a mission though where you're supposed to get killed off half an hour into it, but in the end had to kill my own army just to finish the fucking mission!

And then came all the sanctimonious heroic death one liners and other condescending crap!

DO YOU HEAR ME BLIZZARD????

FUCK YOUR MULTIPLAYING!!!! FUCK YOUR MMORPGS!!!!! THERE ARE STILL PEOPLE WHO ARE INTRIGUED BY THE COMPLEX SF PLOT YOU EASTABLISHED IN THE FIRST GAME!!!!!!!!!!! GIVE ME GOOD STORY WRITING, FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

Postby Talyn » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:27 am

Glad to see I didn't waste my money. I'm replaying the original Starcraft/Brood War now again, for like the 2000th time. Amazing what simple gameplay and a good plot get you.
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby Fallen_Horse » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:30 am

Meh, I loved the plot, and the cinematics. The campaign was a bit short, but after playing Command and Conquer games, I'm quite used to it...
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby XkillerX » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:30 pm

The storytelling of the original starcraft and the setting was simply epic, but then Warcraft3 came along and just blew my brains out!

I think it's high time I repented for my sins and went out to get the original from the dollar store :)

Then replay it a bit. And then some more.
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

Postby Prime » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:22 am

What are people playing at the moment?

I'm well addicted to Borderlands (XBOX 360). Felt a bit bad shooting all those skags for a while, but they keep attacking me so what are you gonna do?
Prime

Postby SpugFab » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:42 pm

I'm on GT5 at the moment. Flawed single player progression but the racing is good. I quite fancy giving Mass Effect 2 a go, or finally getting round to Demon's Souls.

I won a raffle at our christmas party, picked up all the Sony Move stuff. Haven't got round to trying them out though, I find motion control stuff soul destroying in general.
SpugFab

PreviousNext

Return to Culture