Core Strength Training

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Core Strength Training

Postby powerlifer » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:10 pm

So what does everyone do for strengthing there core, i know some can get away with just the big compounds for working the core and they do a good job of working it.

But for some like myself my core is pretty weak ive found and could be causing some of my lower back problems.

For core ive been doing full contact twists which is a pretty good exercise, trying to work my way up to full supermans with the ab wheel again ross enamait style. Weighted crunches on decline etc, overhead squats etc.

But other than that my heads went blank?
Organic Herbal Products, Vega Cellular Foods, Vitashine Vegan Vitamin D3 Spray + More
http://www.amlaberry.co.uk
powerlifer

Re: Core Strength Training

Postby baldy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:28 pm

I love the plank, but thats only because I am good at it. Hanging leg raises?
How do you know your core is weak?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Talyn » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:58 pm

Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby hoffmeister » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:01 am

Knees to elbows or toes to bar is good core stuff. Back extensions and of course deadlift is great also.
this is Sparta
hoffmeister
Reluctant Moderator

Postby JP » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:00 am

how did you find out your core is weak? Does it let you down with some of your bigger compound lifts or some other effort like that?

advice probably depends on what you use your core for. For instance for maximal strength thinks like planks or various raises etc cant be much of a help, but for core strength and endurance in, say, martial arts they might be just the ticket.
JP
Site Admin

Postby baldy » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:40 am

JP wrote:advice probably depends on what you use your core for. For instance for maximal strength thinks like planks or various raises etc cant be much of a help, but for core strength and endurance in, say, martial arts they might be just the ticket.

+1 I can hold the plank for a decent amount of time, but my back/core crumbles in heavy squats.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby powerlifer » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:28 pm

thanks for the replies guys. I just feel the stomach/core is definitley a weak link in my lifting and could be the cause of my back problems.

Just now im not able to deadlift due to back problems and some i believe its the top of my glutes putting pressure on my IT band.

Anyway im just and no more able to use the EZ deadlift bar which gives more leg drive rather than targetting the lower back. Im hitting all my lifts as heavy as i can so i guess ill keep that up. Will check out planks and include hanging leg raises again:).

Cheers
Organic Herbal Products, Vega Cellular Foods, Vitashine Vegan Vitamin D3 Spray + More
http://www.amlaberry.co.uk
powerlifer

Postby Steven-R » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:35 am

This was thoroughly discussed in Looking for advise on core/stomach exercises viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19639

Briefly, the main purpose of the core is stability. Exercises that bend or flex the core not so good, and twisting at the midsection very sketchy. Frequently it is the hips that are tight and inactive and needing work.
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
My website and blog about fitness, bodywork, and health:
http://stevenricefitness.com/
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Steven-R

Postby FAQ » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:57 am

From Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums: Catalogue of Core/Abdominal/Oblique Exercises
FAQ

Postby KaliBaby » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:17 am

FAQ wrote:From Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums: Catalogue of Core/Abdominal/Oblique Exercises

nice, thanks for posting!
Live by the sea. Love by the moon.
KaliBaby

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights