What was the last book you read?

Music, movies, literature, art, poems...

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: What was the last book you read?

Postby Catt Queen » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:54 pm

Last book I read was F**k it by John C Parkin
Allie =^..^=
http://www.stronger.me.uk
Find me on Facebook
Courage, sacrifice, determination, commitment, toughness, heart, talent, guts.
That's what little girls are made of; to hell with sugar and spice.
Catt Queen

Postby hardcore iv » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:56 am

I've been in a graphic novel reading mood the last month or so:

The league of extraordinary gentlemen (vol 1 & 2) - Alan Moore & Kevin O'Neill
Watchmen - Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons
V for Vendetta - Alan Moore & David Lloyd
Infinite crisis - Geoff Johns & load of illustrators

All the Alan Moore ones were awesome, but Infinite crisis was really crap and I was forcing myself to read it, hoping that it would get better, but it didn't :(
"When you are born, you are set forth to die. The fact that you live or don't live between these two dates depends solely upon your own will, opportunities and desires. The weight exerciser, of course, indicates that he chooses to live." Joseph Curtis Hise
hardcore iv

Postby City_of_F » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:23 am

Just finished "Methland". Basically, its a book about the distribution and manufacture of methamphetamine in the heartland of America. Not a bad book, the harder the author tries to draw out artistic flair, the more obvious it becomes how hard he's trying, but all in all, worth reading.

Also in the middle of the "The Dragon Syndicates: The Global Phenomenon of the Triads". Really interesting stuff. Between this book and a book I read on the Yakuza a little while ago, it amazes me how many gangs are so heavily involved in politics. :shock:
It`s a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don`t keep your feet, there`s no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Tolkein
City_of_F

Postby baldy » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:28 am

The Covenant by James A. Michener. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Covenant_(novel)

I read it before when I was a teenager, but rereading now has made a lot more sense to me 15 years later. The novel plots the history of South Africa from "the beginning" till 1980 just before I was born. From what I can make out it was banned in South Africa when it published.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby thestoatyone » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:27 pm

The spirit level

Don't know what to make of it. The data is fascinating and the theories plausible, but it somehow falls short of making an absolutely convincing case; it's not really focussed enough to ram the point home.

Would be interested to here what anyone else made of it....
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

muchluv wrote:When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby FAQ » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:02 pm

Medical Sociology textbook
FAQ

Postby soulfulbodymind » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:27 pm

The China Study ... Excellent read! 5 Stars!
S. Ali Myers | Soulful Body & Mind
Visit http://soulfulbodymind.com for Holistic Self-Empowerment
My FREE Vegan Beginner's Guide http://www.soulfulbodymind.com/2/post/2 ... guide.html
soulfulbodymind

Postby whylime » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:36 pm

I have an hour commute, so I'm listening to The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larson in the car, and I'm reading The Lonely Polygamist by Brady Udall when I get a few minutes here and there.

I had resisted the Steig Larson book just because I wasn't sure I wanted to read it, but now I can't stop listening. Seriously- I've been finding myself sitting in the driveway to try to hear out the end of a chapter because it's so engaging. And the Lonely Polygamist is equally absorbing- I love Brady Udall's writing, and I have a weird fascination with mormon fundamentalists, so this is definitely a fun read.

Soulful- I read China Study a few months ago and definitely enjoyed it until the end. I will be passing that one on to my chiropractor, who is pretty adamantly non-vegan, but very open-minded.
whylime

Postby vegan hal » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:46 pm

just finished Shatarum. what a wild story. based off his real life. amazing.
vegan hal

Postby JS » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:33 am

I have just read the The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Burrows.

http://www.amazon.com/Guernsey-Literary-Potato-Peel-Society/dp/0385340990

I enjoyed the way it was written as a series of letters and I loved the humour.

I am currently reading Maus - by Art Spiegelman - an old one but I've just discovered graphic novels and saw this had won the Pulitzer Prize so gave it a shot. The holocaust isn't the most pleasant of reading but I love the originality (it felt like it to me) in the way this book has been done with the cats (nazi's), mice (jews) and pigs (Poles) and it I believe it's based on his or family's real experience.
JS

Postby hardcore iv » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:03 pm

American Gods - Neil Gaiman
I am america and so can you - Stephen Colbert (audio book)
Me talk pretty one day - David Sedaris (audio book)

I also read Maus a few months ago. It's a great graphic novel.
"When you are born, you are set forth to die. The fact that you live or don't live between these two dates depends solely upon your own will, opportunities and desires. The weight exerciser, of course, indicates that he chooses to live." Joseph Curtis Hise
hardcore iv

Postby fitnessnoob » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:27 pm

Pride and Prejudice, a novel by Jane Austen! It is my favourite one. It is great!
fitnessnoob

Postby soniczip » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:20 am

bronisław malinowski - argonauts of the western pacific (1922)
fascinating! a classic of anthropological literature, it describes "kula" exchanges between populations of the trobriand islands (now known as the kiriwina islands) and other archipelagos east of papua new guinea (milne bay province). the kula exchanges are particular because they involve two products which have no use value but, nonetheless, catalyse the entire life of the populations involved. argonauts is also the first "modern" anthropological work, in that it thoroughly combines practical and theoretical research in one person.
i'm focusing on some kind of stuff
soniczip

Postby hardcore iv » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:50 am

soniczip wrote:bronisław malinowski - argonauts of the western pacific (1922)
fascinating! a classic of anthropological literature, it describes "kula" exchanges between populations of the trobriand islands (now known as the kiriwina islands) and other archipelagos east of papua new guinea (milne bay province). the kula exchanges are particular because they involve two products which have no use value but, nonetheless, catalyse the entire life of the populations involved. argonauts is also the first "modern" anthropological work, in that it thoroughly combines practical and theoretical research in one person.

Nice. I never read the whole book but was very familiar with it. I would suggest reading, "A Diary in the Strict Sense of the Term", which was released after Malinowski's death. I studied it and Levi-Strauss', "Tristes Tropiques", in my final year of uni. They both give great insight into what made these guys tick.
hardcore iv

Postby soniczip » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:43 am

hardcore iv wrote:
soniczip wrote:bronisław malinowski - argonauts of the western pacific (1922)

Nice. I never read the whole book but was very familiar with it. I would suggest reading, "A Diary in the Strict Sense of the Term", which was released after Malinowski's death. I studied it and Levi-Strauss', "Tristes Tropiques", in my final year of uni. They both give great insight into what made these guys tick.

most definitely! as soon as i read about it, i decided i wanted to read the the posthumous diary too. also tristes tropiques is in my list actually; but i first need to complete another set of books for my exams.
i'm focusing on some kind of stuff
soniczip

PreviousNext

Return to Culture