Iliotibial band

For injury and health related discussion and support only. Please note that this is not a substitute for seeing a health care professional.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Iliotibial band

Postby slodki » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:57 pm

So recently my left outer knee has been feeling inflamed online sleuthing has led me to believe that it is the Iliotibial band. Has anyone who has gone through this before offer some advice? thanks in advance...
slodki

Re: Iliotibial band

Postby ultra_whippet » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:28 pm

Get a foam roller, if you don't have one already, and roll out your IT band every day. Also do some strengthening work for your glute medius
ultra_whippet

Postby skoptic » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:40 pm

Stretch stretch stretch!

So I don't get it - had it once or twice, but see people with it all the time. There are loads of different stretches to do (check online) ... but it's funny to do because the band has no stretch receptors so you can't really feel when you're doing it right! Also stretch your hips too - this is where the ITB starts.

Failing that some hardcore massage can ease it out .. but I've seen people wincing from the hardcore massage (which then fixed them!)

Good luck fixing it ... and then if your prone to it ... stretch more :-)
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby Enhydra Lutris » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:16 am

Physio would be the best option if you have it badly or don't want it to get worse. Mine built up over years and is taking ages to fix. The physio might also force it to stretch out bit by bit (very painful, but works a charm).

If you do stretches, you'll feel it pull on the muscle in your bum area where the IT band attaches.
They say the grass is greener on the other side
-- but have you ever flipped it over?
The Jean-Paul Sartre cookbook: "Today I made a Black Forest cake out of five pounds of cherries and a live beaver, challenging the very definition of the word cake."
Enhydra Lutris

Postby Steven-R » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:06 am

Ditto for the stretches, for which frequency is very important, and the foam roller.

I would add that searching for the cause of any dysfunction, especially when it's asymmetrical, is important to keep it from returning. Do you have a tendency to always stand on one leg? When you do a squat does one knee go in or out more than the other? A physio can things like this for you, or a good trainer or bodyworker.
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
My website and blog about fitness, bodywork, and health:
http://stevenricefitness.com/
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Steven-R

Postby BopCatan » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:47 pm

Ditto on foam roller. Stretching hip flexors relieves lower back and IT band tension. I have tight IT bands multiple times a week and foam roller + stretching has kept the tightness from resulting into a new injury for some time now.
BopCatan

Postby slodki » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:39 pm

Steven-R wrote:Ditto for the stretches, for which frequency is very important, and the foam roller.

I would add that searching for the cause of any dysfunction, especially when it's asymmetrical, is important to keep it from returning. Do you have a tendency to always stand on one leg? When you do a squat does one knee go in or out more than the other? A physio can things like this for you, or a good trainer or bodyworker.

i do stand on one leg alot
slodki

Postby beforewisdom » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:32 am

Did I have an IT Band moment?

The other day I wen to the gym an did my usual elliptical workout of about 40 min. It was a beautiful day, I had time, so later in the day I went and took a 90 min walk. The load was more than I am used to. Toward the end of the walk, it felt like someone was pushing a knitting needle into side ( outer ) of my knee joint.

When I got home I took a rest on the floor.

When I got up I had a shocking sensation of my knee joint moving in an unusual way and I hear a loud pop as my knee straightened.

Afterwards, the side ( outer ) and back of my knee joint felt *slightly* sore, but my leg felt fine.

Did my IT band get too tight during my long, uncustomary workout, get out of alignment and then IMPINGE its way over my joint back into alignment?

I sit for about an hour a day cross legged so I have *some* flexibility in my hips.

Do I need to stretch that area more?

What about this foam roller thing? Is there a web site that teaches you the basics?

Thanks in advance for any info

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Postby hardcore iv » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:25 am

I think IT band issues are more chronic rather than just happening after a walking session, but it does sound like your IT band was pulling your knee cap out of alignment, but you should probably get it checked out.

This is a good article on foam rolling or you could sign up to Mike robertson's newsletter so you can download his e-book on SMR and foam rolling.
"When you are born, you are set forth to die. The fact that you live or don't live between these two dates depends solely upon your own will, opportunities and desires. The weight exerciser, of course, indicates that he chooses to live." Joseph Curtis Hise
hardcore iv

Postby beforewisdom » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:44 am

Where is the article?

beforewisdom

Postby hardcore iv » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:17 am

"When you are born, you are set forth to die. The fact that you live or don't live between these two dates depends solely upon your own will, opportunities and desires. The weight exerciser, of course, indicates that he chooses to live." Joseph Curtis Hise
hardcore iv

Postby beforewisdom » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:13 pm

My gym just got a short ( 1 - 1.5 feet ) a foam roller and I tried it out today.

Oddly enough the outer side of knees felt fine on the roller and this is where I sometimes feel sharp pain when I work my legs hard. Doing each side for 10 rolls, the out sides of my legs felt tender. I don't know if it is my imagination or not but my leg muscles seemed to work better afterwards. It is certainly "invigorating" having the roller dig into your side.

beforewisdom

Postby Alistar » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:13 am

Yeah I've broken down after my recent exploits. Strained my ITB band lifting a third of my body weight cycling up 7km over 2days. Now its moved on from being or feeling like an annoying sore muscle over the last month to a sore outside of my knee. Bloody annoying! Some good advice here to follow up though :)
Alistar

Return to Injury Prevention and Support Forum