Rodolfo's Triathlon season 2010

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Postby purple_mog » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:29 pm

love the pics, even if they are a teensy bit jealousy-causing, no wonder you find this stuff easy!! :lol:
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.

Mahatma Gandhi
purple_mog

Postby xrodolfox » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:57 pm

purple_mog wrote:love the pics, even if they are a teensy bit jealousy-causing, no wonder you find this stuff easy!! :lol:

It's not how you look that wins the race.

I passed I don't know how many people that looked more ripped than a brick shit house. It's about the motor. The lungs. The heart. The mind.

That' the tough stuff to train. The body, that's relatively easy.

The reason I find these races easy is because they are too short for me. I need to do Olympic distances next season.

I don't really know what you mean by "jealousy-causing". You like my bike too? It's 11+ years old, and the wheels will fall apart any minute now!
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby purple_mog » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:08 pm

*grin* I think its more the combination of your clearly well toned and fit body plus the appropriate kit AND those kickass race times :D Being an unfit newbie it nice to have something to aim for though :)
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.

Mahatma Gandhi
purple_mog

Re: Rodolfo's Triathlon season 2009

Postby xrodolfox » Mon May 31, 2010 8:02 pm

I just started off my 2010 season with an AG win.

Island Lake Triathlon Sprint
2010-05-29
Brighton, Michigan
United States
Element Events
Sunny

Triathlon - Sprint
Total Time = 1h 14m 48s
Overall Rank = 13/230
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/27

Pre-race routine:

Slept 5 hours at night.
Eat two bananas and a gel.
Showed up, but not early enough to relax.
Went to the bathroom, and drank a 5-hour energy.

Event warmup:
None.

Swimming
00:13:04 | 888 yards | 01m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/27
Overall: 4/230
Performance: Below average
Suit: Synergy Full Wetsuit
Course: Straight up and back.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good

Comments:
I stopped trying once I lost Stephen, the lead. I just stopped trying.

What would you do differently?:
I've never been without a friend at the beginning. Ideally, I'd swim my own race, but in the meantime, I need to be out in the water with friends... ideally fast ones. Then I can follow them and swim with them.

T1
Time: 01:11
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off: No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad

Comments:
I messed this one up.
I couldn't get my wetsuit off.
I then lost concentration. Then I went the wrong way on the bike and had to backtrack. Urugh.

Concentrate. Let mistakes leave, and focus on the present.

Biking
00:35:05 | 12.4 miles | 21.21 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/27
Overall: 32/230
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Up and back. Winding and rolling Michigan hills.
Road: Smooth Dry
Turns: Average
Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average
Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable
Drinks: Just right

Comments:
I still carried the weight of the bad swim and transition along with my ride for about 10 miles. Then I started focusing, and picked up the pace. The second half of my bike ride might've been one of my best rides.
I biked in a higher gear, at a slower cadence, but was really cranking.

Stay on my game! Perhaps go to a lower gear and SPIN before I go to the run.

T2
Time: 00:57
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average

Comments:
I was a little demoralized, but I still focused. I had a fine transition.

Concentrate.

Running
00:24:33 | 03.0999 miles | 07m 55s min/mile
Age Group: 10/27
Overall: 70/230
Performance: Below average
Course: Up and back.
Keeping cool Good
Drinking Just right

Comments:
I got off the bike and completely lost my cadence. I biked in such a high gear that my legs just had no sense of hurry. I need to spin my legs!

Spin my legs. I barely got moving until the end.

Post race

Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok

Warm down:
nothing. I was tired, but not exhausted.

What limited your ability to perform faster:
Concentration. Not being ready.

Event comments:
I love this course, and this race, and I can't wait to do it again this season.

Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Re: Rodolfo's Triathlon season 2010

Postby xrodolfox » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:21 pm

After a whole two weeks of feeling under the weather (allergies? colds? I just don't know) and training on the swim for only 1hr every two days, I did a Sprint Distance Triathlon today. 800m swim + 13mile bike ride + 3.1mile run.
I GOT 4TH PLACE OVERALL!!!!! I was second out of several hundreds out of the water.

To think: I was going to drop out of the race yesterday because I was so darn congested that I couldn't rest or train. I was sure I'd fall apart. Instead, I went out hard, and kept it going. The two guys that passed me were 20-something college triathletes. It was great. My wife was there from the 7:35am start to the 8:45am finish. :) A friend of mine, who is also vegan, did the race with me, and he got 5th overall in the swim (he and I were HS swim captains together), and he finished 12th overall. Rock on vegan athletes!
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby SpugFab » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:14 pm

Awesome result man. Looks like there aren't many triathletes with your swimming ability. Must give you a real edge to come out of the pool with a great time but also in better shape than those behind you.
SpugFab

Postby downhillingdemon » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:17 pm

My goodness that is a SUPER result :D
"You can't hide from your shadow"
downhillingdemon

Postby xrodolfox » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:15 am

After a whole two weeks of feeling under the weather (allergies? colds? I just don't know) and training on the swim for only 1hr every two days, I did a Sprint Distance Triathlon today. 800m swim + 13mile bike ride + 3.1mile run.
I GOT 4TH PLACE OVERALL!!!!! I was second out of several hundreds out of the water. Of course, I won my age group (30-34)

To think: I was going to drop out of the race yesterday because I was so darn congested that I couldn't rest or train. I was sure I'd fall apart. Instead, I went out hard, and kept it going. The two guys that passed me were 20-something college triathletes. It was great. My wife was there from the 7:35am start to the 8:45am finish. :) A friend of mine, who is also vegan, did the race with me, and he got 5th overall in the swim (he and I were HS swim captains together), and he finished 12th overall, and he got 3rd in our age group. Rock on vegan athletes we dominated the 30-34yo men today!!
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness