Competition reports

Styles, training, conditioning, equipment - everything related to Martial Arts.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Competition reports

Postby noz » Mon May 24, 2010 11:27 am

We had finnish championships in brazilian jiujitsu last weekend and I was competing in catergory white belt female -64 kg. There was seven participants in our category and we were the "biggest" female category. I made my way to the final but lost it by two advantages.

1st match:
I started well with a take down but was too slow to get myself to side control. I ended up in the opponents guard but was awarded with two points. I got the guard open and passed but the opponent turned herself into turtle defense and I went too eagerly for the back mount and she got the guard again. I was trying to stand up several times but due to weight loss and the heat i felt that my legs were not working. I got swept but I was still leading with an advantage from the back mount effort. There was not much time left and I just tried to keep my guard closed. Won by an advantage.

2nd match:
My opponent was a judo brown belt so I pulled guard. I started to brake her posture and "climb" my way to high guard. I managed to get and armbar attempt but she was defending very well. She got to half guard twice but I had been practicing of regaining guard from half guard and I got it quite easily. Holding guard I just kept "hunting" for armbar or triangel and I finally got one very good attempt and was awarded with an advantage. I didn't took any risks after that because I knew that my opponent is very dangerous especially in side control. So i won again with one advantage.

3rd match - the final:
In the final i met a girl who I had fought in February. I knew that she was going to pull guard and do an armbar so i tried to avoid that...I was going for my takedown but she got the guard first. I avoided the armbar for a while but she finally got it with one very fast try. Luckily I stayed calm and got away from it and pulled guard. After that i got one very good armbar attempt but didn't get an advantage. My opponent tried to pass the guard and got on my knees. I managed to take her leg and got a "takedown" and two points. I was once again too hasty and didn't control her hips well enough and she got the guard. At that point I thought that there was at least a minute left and I took a couple of seconds to gain some strength. Then I heard my corner man for the first time during the whole match and he was shouting that there was only 15 seconds left. I bounced up but my opponent managed to keep her guard closed for the rest of the time. I lost by two advantages and got the silver medal.
noz

Re: Competition reports

Postby baldy » Mon May 24, 2010 11:43 am

sounds like a good day, any pictures or videos?
Well done on the silver medal.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Clem Snide » Mon May 24, 2010 11:49 am

Great report! Well done on your silver medal.
Clem Snide

Postby noz » Mon May 24, 2010 12:02 pm

Thank you! 8) There is a few pictures from the final here: http://jharma.kuvat.fi/kuvat/BJJ_SM2010/DSC_2977.JPG
I'm the one in black gi. Unfortunately there was none shooting video but I'll get some more pictures later!
noz

Postby JP » Mon May 24, 2010 1:56 pm

awesome stuff Noz - well done!

And thanks for the comp report too ;) I wish there were more in the MA section!
JP
Site Admin

Postby Rochellita » Mon May 24, 2010 2:12 pm

Well done!
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby Clem Snide » Mon May 24, 2010 4:05 pm

Cool pics, looked like a tough fight.

More competition reports here would be great.
Clem Snide

Postby KC Masterpiece » Mon May 24, 2010 7:50 pm

Great job on the medal!

Losing by advantage is always tough. Sounds like you did really well; keep us updated on your comps!
KC Masterpiece

Postby pimmando k. » Tue May 25, 2010 10:06 am

vitun excellent!
pimmando k.

Postby fredrikw » Tue May 25, 2010 12:17 pm

fucking erinomainen! :)
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby E-P » Tue May 25, 2010 11:57 pm

Interesting report Noz.

E-P

ps. No perkele, seems like we got quite a bit of Finnish people here in the forum!
E-P

Postby :x: » Thu May 27, 2010 3:54 pm

i got a competition ahead next saturday, so how excited were you? :)
i feel i might be a little overexcited and still struggling to make enough weight, so that i don't need to fight in the highest, which is open end...
are you fighting gi or no-gi?
"anti-german" for dummies
please spell me : x : :)
honestly, stop the vegan-snuff-video-madness!
:x:

Postby Aussiveg » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:03 am

yeah i have one coming up as well next week, state champs, i1ll let you guys know how i go.
last one before that was Australian champs and got silver.
cheers
Aussiveg

Postby noz » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:42 pm

:x: wrote:i got a competition ahead next saturday, so how excited were you? :)
i feel i might be a little overexcited and still struggling to make enough weight, so that i don't need to fight in the highest, which is open end...
are you fighting gi or no-gi?

Oh crap, it seems that I've been away for a while. I used to get really nervous and excited before the competitions and it sometimes harmed my performance on the mat. Last spring I learned to control my excitement and since then it has been easier for my :) I do both gi and no-gi. At the moment I feel that no-gi is more good for me but I like gi as well.

It's been a while but I'll give a few short reports. Last September I got a really bad neck injury and it took me whole Autumn to get my body back in shape. The rehab is still on progress but I got a permission to compete again a month ago. So I decided to go and test my fresh blue belt in the European Championships:

In my own weight category I faced a Brazilian girl who immediately pulled guard. I struggled to open the guard but she was really strong and finally swept me with a hip-bump. I managed to return to half guard from where I made one good sweep attempt but couldn't quite finish it. Last minute I was trying to cross choke her but she had really good controls and the time ran out. So I lost 0-2. It was a good fight and I was happy with my performance though I lost.

In the open category I met another girl from my own weight class. She also pulled guard but this time I managed to open it. I got her knees smashed to the floor but I just wasn't quick and strong enough to stand up and pass her legs. She closed her guard and over hooked my hand. I spent two minutes just fighting my hand free. When the time ran out judge decided to award my opponent with an advantage so I lost with that advantage. With this fight I was really disappointed with myself 'cause I felt that I didn't give everything I had. Anyway the whole competition was a good experience and a nice way to get back to the business after a long injury :)

A week after the Europeans I participated a small national competition where I had only one opponent. In the beginning I tried a takedown but was really sloppy and it ended me turtling and she trying to get the peruvian choke. I kept movin on the bottom and I finally managed to push her on her back. In the side control I had to fight my neck free from the choke attempt. After a short struggle I mounted her and went for a cross choke. She defended really well but finally decided to turn so I got a back crap. From the back I got rnc and finished the fight with a submission.

Now it's more rehab for the neck and the back and hopefully I'll be in great shape in the team nationals in the end of next month! :)
noz

Postby noz » Thu May 19, 2011 2:12 pm

Oh man, I have been lazy writing here. I have been competing a lot during this spring:

In the Finnish Championships for teams our team won gold. I was fighter number five and in the first round the situation was 2-2 and I was the one who had to win. And that's what I did: after a takedown I tried to take the back but ended up in closed guard. Wen't for the cross choke but the time ran out. So it was 2-0 win for me and our team went to the finals 3-2. In the finals we won 3-1 so I didn't get a chance to fight. All and all it was great for our ladies! :)

In smaller competitions I lost one fight and won two. Last weekend we had the Finnish Championships and this was my first time competing in the Nationals with blue belt. In my first fight I took my opponent down with a sacrificial throw and earned two points. She played half guard very well and wen't for omoplata. I survived that and passed her guard twice but earned only advantages. So in the end I won 2-0.

In my second fight, the semifinal I met a though girl. I had decided to try a shoot but for some insane reason I just pulled half guard. I started to work on getting a deep half sweep but my opponent was very strong on top and I couldn't brake her posture. She almost passed my guard and for a moment I ended up fighting for a top position. We ended back in where it all began and I spent rest of the time struggling to get her swept. Time ran out and my opponent won with two advantages. I was a bit frustrated because it was such a close fight but... So this time it was only bronze for me. You can watch the fight here: http://www.youtube.com/user/Naamalukko# ... 1_NSganXko

I'm the one in black gi :)
noz

Next

Return to Martial Arts