Deadlifting for life......

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Deadlifting for life......

Postby divergirl » Tue May 11, 2010 11:24 am

Well I am inspired by others who are starting out new training logs. I think I may have even started one before but alas - no staying power and did not post anything much. I have consistently worked out during my 12 week gym challenge so figure I may as well get started.2 weeks to go and I plan to keep it up after I finish the 12 weeks. Today was also a PB so very worthy of a post in my new training log :D

Squats
20kg x 15
30kg x 15
40kg x 15

Leg Press
60kg x 15
80kg x 15
120kg x 12 (PB) 8)

Deadlifts
20kg x 15
30kg x 15
40kg x 4
35kg x 8

Ha ha ha ha - as you can tell by the 40kg x 4 deadlift my grip gave out before my legs did - bummer! My trainer was even trying to get me to use the wrap things that help your grip - did not help. So we switched it back to 35kg. Heavy by then I was tired.

Love love love deadlifting tho......I'm also becoming quite a good squatter and wow - I did not think 10 weeks ago when I started my 12 week challenge that I would be able to leg press 120kg - feeling sore-ish legs now, gotta stretch some more. May have trouble walking/sitting tomorrow - ha! Aaaaahhhhhhh but it's the good sore-ish feeling! There was a guy sitting on a bench doing some random sit up thingies and he was just staring the whole time I was squatting that much. Yep - girls can do it too!

Also I thought we were done on the 80kg press and I was sitting there recovering and out of the corner of my eye noticed my trainer loading up more plates - ummmmm, what? So then he said just try it, I said DON'T tell me how much it is yet, I mean I could probably have figured it out but I was avoiding looking directly at the plates cos I knew psychologically I would have thought nope, no way! At the end my trainer jumps up and says (while I'm dying and recovering sitting all flopped) jump up here and see how much you did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PB for me but also for him out of all the girls he's training!

Maybe Body Attack tomorrow a.m. not sure. Deadlift, deadlift deadlift - yay, yay, yay!
Diving into the blue again......

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Winners do things that losers just won't.
divergirl

Re: Deadlifting for life......

Postby helmut » Tue May 11, 2010 12:37 pm

nice one! hope you're not too sore tomorrow!
*take me to the mediocrity dungeon*
helmut

Postby Linnéa76 » Tue May 11, 2010 7:00 pm

Good going divergirl! I had the same problem with a weak grip limiting the deadlift when I started doing that. I stopped for a while because lifting 30 kg felt demotivating, did hang cleans and back extensions plus some grip exercises instead. About 3 months later 50 kg was very easy. So it's not that hard to improve grip and forearm strength! :) What's Body Attack like btw?
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Postby vegan hal » Tue May 11, 2010 10:50 pm

good work divergirl and congrats on the PB. stick to it.
vegan hal

Postby divergirl » Wed May 12, 2010 12:45 pm

Thanks for the comments guys!

Body Attack is kinda like aerobics on steroids......it's just floor aerobics with lots of knees-up running on the spot and around the class with extra movements (think arms flinging around, clapping jazz etc) plus abs and pushups etc. From the name I would have thought it was related to something like Body Combat but I guess the Attack part is you attacking your own body with damn hard exercises - ha ha ha - no, not really I think the Attack part is just really getting stuck into it all and attacking the workout.

No Body Attack for me this a.m. By the time I went to bed it was freezing here (boo!) so did not want to kid myself I would be getting up in the cold dark morning. Worked out after work instead.

Today's efforts:

60 min cardio - split between elliptical trainer and treadmill. Took it easy on the treadie cos my hammies are s-o-r-e. But still good sore! Still grinning from my PB yest!

divergirl

Postby divergirl » Thu May 13, 2010 12:03 pm

6a.m. RPM baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wahoo!

Officially trained with RPM this year on the hottest day of the year - Jan - (so far) and the coldest day of the year - today - (so far). If I can get up and go at 6a.m. on those days I can do it any other day of the year :)

divergirl

Postby Rochellita » Fri May 14, 2010 10:52 am

divergirl wrote:6a.m. RPM baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wahoo!

Officially trained with RPM this year on the hottest day of the year - Jan - (so far) and the coldest day of the year - today - (so far). If I can get up and go at 6a.m. on those days I can do it any other day of the year :)

Are you training on teaching it or as a participant? I've started morning RPM and love it, getting up at 6am and walking to the gym in Spring is just awesome, not sure if I'd cope in the winter though :shock:

Love that you are into deadlifting, my training partner has just got into it and it's one of the few lifts along with squats that she can do with her injury so I expect a lot of deadlifting myself in the next months as we train together woohoo. My problem is my deadlift if more like a stiff-legged deadlift, how's your form?
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby divergirl » Sat May 15, 2010 5:29 am

Hey .flux - I'm just doing it as a participant. I've considered whether I would be hardcore enough to go and do the training to teach. My regular instructor is insane, he is so ripped and fit from riding - he teaches heaps of classes and really kicks butt. You can see he really puts the effort in himself at each and every session. With how much he does RPM I wonder how much he can eat - must be heaps cos he'd be burning amazing amounts of calories!!!! That would certainly be a bonus to teaching it! :D

You really can't beat RPM in the a.m. Nothing quite like it to get you awake and up and at 'em for the rest of the day!!! Glad you've started it.

Ha ha, that's funny on the stiff-legged deadlift. I can totally relate. I often forget about my legs and part way thru realise I'm almost locking my knees. My personal trainer has to remind me about it too. I find I can concentrate on core and really squeezing at the end of the lift if I have a soft bend with my knees. I think one thing I struggle on with form is exactly how wide to have my grip. Do you know the guidelines? It seems like if it's too wide I feel it more in my lower back.

No training of anything for me for last 2 days - sick with damn cold :cry: Almost lost voice, very unhappy and want to head back to the gym again. We'll see how tomorrow goes.

divergirl

Postby mabli » Mon May 17, 2010 8:26 pm

Hey, hope you feel better soon :)
mabli

Postby divergirl » Tue May 18, 2010 11:00 am

Hey mabli - ta for the well wishes!

Alas.....still sick with this crap cold.

First training back after 3 days off was boxing at 6a.m. yesterday - good but hard. Ok even with cold.

Today PT with Luke the trainer extraordinaire.....he's really good. Anyways 6a.m. start again and bloody hell the workout was hard - due to my cold. I suffered.....prob also cos of my 3 days off, no fun :( Even the deadlift suffered today, I died. Luke gave me weights that were 10kg lighter than last time but it didn't matter, still hard.....boo hoo.

Oh well, back to the gym tomorrow. This is my last week of the 12 week challenge so want to finish strong!!!

divergirl

Postby divergirl » Wed May 19, 2010 12:37 pm

1 hr group workout boxing

Sweet!

divergirl

Postby vegieburger » Thu May 20, 2010 12:14 am

Going hard.....working out when sick and all. Hope you are feeling better by now.

Deadlifting is addictive isn't it?
I struggled with grip too so changed to mix grip but my trainer has made me go back to over hand for all but the heavy lifts so that I will build more grip strength. I think its something that you just have to keep working on, I've never used straps either as I figure my grip will probably give way before my back does, so if I had straps I might be tempted to push myself to hard and so some damage.

Goodluck with the training, you are going really well.
"No one has yet realized the wealth of sympathy, the kindness and generosity hidden in the soul of a child.
The effort of every true education should be to unlock that treasure."-Emma Goldman
vegieburger

Postby divergirl » Fri May 21, 2010 8:36 am

Thurs 6a.m. RPM class - loved it! :)

Nothing today, day off. Maybe nothing tomorrow either. Might treat myself to another day off. Tomorrow is my last day of my 12 week gym challenge. We have weigh-in, measurements and after photos. Hoping I look stax better in after photo and good measurement results! Absolute no alcohol for 12 weeks, longest I've gone in ages......so proud of myself. They didn't make us stop drinking but suggested cutting back to focus on weight loss. I set myself my own goal of no drinkies. Maybe a small celebratory drink tomorrow night for completing it and oh yeah cos today is my 1yr wedding anniversary. This time last year we eloped to Bali and got married on a scuba diving hol - it was great!

I know I've only lost about 5kgs but even tho that's not heaps I think what is left of me has re-arranged so I look better. Clothes definitely fit better so gotta love that!

Back to workouts Sunday......

Have a good weekend all!

divergirl

Postby divergirl » Sun May 23, 2010 10:09 am

Challenge Results:

6kg total loss for the 12 weeks
-40cm's total on all girth measurements
-25.5cm's total on all pinch tests
V.happy with results & my after photo looks ok so I'm pleased with that! Will keep me motivated to keep at it now the challenge is over.

Sat - day off :)

Sun - 2km run. Starting my Couch to 5k running training. Was easier than last time I started, think that's cos I've got more developed muscles (no cramping this time) and better cardio endurance

No lifting this weekend, missing my deadlifts.....

divergirl

Postby KaliBaby » Mon May 24, 2010 12:00 am

divergirl wrote:No lifting this weekend, missing my deadlifts.....

they are quite addicting!!!
Live by the sea. Love by the moon.
KaliBaby

Next

Return to Training Logs