Nails splitting... any tips?

For injury and health related discussion and support only. Please note that this is not a substitute for seeing a health care professional.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Nails splitting... any tips?

Postby mabli » Tue May 11, 2010 7:13 pm

Ive tried to do a search for this but cant find anything.

I used to have very long strong nails but recently they've been splitting easily, they really cant grow at all. One of my finger nalis has just started splitting off its splitting below the quick and is really uncomfy so i cant use that finger to type.

I do a lot of hill walking so im out on the hills for over 6 hours each walk several times a week and my hands are exposed to some pretty inhospitable weather, to protect them I wear fingerless gloves but it doesnt keep the ends of my hands safe, but its too hot to wear proper gloves sometimes now.

I just wondered if other folk have had this, not sure if its my diet but ive not really changed anything, my hands are really dry even though i put masses of cream on them.
mabli

Re: Nails splitting... any tips?

Postby divergirl » Wed May 12, 2010 12:51 pm

I too have terribly weak nails with mine currently splitting layers-wise. They used to just break and start to split/rip at the sides across where the white starts but now they "flake" off split all across the white bit, no more splitting at the sides - it's horrible tho. I too am not sure what it's from but I really think mine could be diet related. Hopefully someone here can give some good advice, I'm going to have a cruise on the net to see about it too.....your hikes sound amazing but yes, I can imagine that would be hard on your the end of your fingers!
Diving into the blue again......

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Winners do things that losers just won't.
divergirl

Postby Catt Queen » Wed May 12, 2010 7:48 pm

Has a fungal nail infection been ruled out?
Allie =^..^=
http://www.stronger.me.uk
Find me on Facebook
Courage, sacrifice, determination, commitment, toughness, heart, talent, guts.
That's what little girls are made of; to hell with sugar and spice.
Catt Queen

Postby mabli » Wed May 12, 2010 8:10 pm

Dont think its a fungal infection, they're not discoloured or ridged but just flake or snap away and its all of them.

Ill see my doctor, its just that he's a bit upset that i go into the hills on my own and that Im vegan. When I pass him in the street he gives me a sorrowful look so I dont want to show him sore finger tips that have been induced by my walking or diet... he couldnt cope lol
mabli

Postby mabli » Thu May 13, 2010 6:11 am

divergirl wrote: Hopefully someone here can give some good advice,

Hey, yes hopefully someone here can give some advice, i'll see my doc and listen to what he has to say and report back... it'll probably involve taking a load of tablets, not spending so much time outside, a lecture about my diet and a bit of misinformation thrown in for free (you dont get enough calcium etc)... drives me mad!
mabli

Return to Injury Prevention and Support Forum