Vote against the tories on 6th May

Armchair politics, ethical soapbox and current affairs. Place to discuss vegan ethics and general ethics and politics. Be nice.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Vote against the tories on 6th May

Postby mabli » Sun May 02, 2010 4:04 pm

I hope all brits on this forum will be voting to keep tories out. If they gain power they've pledged to have a “Great Repeal Bill” which will include repealing the hunting ban and a whole host of important animal welfare laws within the first few weeks of office.

We cant let the tories get back into power again, please vote tactically and keep the blues out on May 6th!!! Tell everyone you know, a vote for the conservatives is a vote for hunting
mabli

Re: Vote against the tories on 6th May

Postby JP » Sun May 02, 2010 4:46 pm

i cant vote here because i am a bloody immigrant, but have been following with interest. Seems like brits have a historic chance to get rid of the archaic constituency based first past the post system and get some proportionality in.
JP
Site Admin

Postby dublin dave » Sun May 02, 2010 5:34 pm

The Tories have no chance in Leeds Central, so I'll be voting for a local left/green independent...my main motivation is to increase turnout which reduces the chance of the BNP retaining their deposit (a party must gain 5% of votes to retain £500 deposit)...
dublin dave

Postby thestoatyone » Sun May 02, 2010 6:28 pm

JP wrote:i cant vote here because i am a bloody immigrant, but have been following with interest. Seems like brits have a historic chance to get rid of the archaic constituency based first past the post system and get some proportionality in.

This would be nice. Voting Lib-dem me, their policies are much of a muchness but the seem keen on pushing for some much needed reform plus they seem to have a good chance of kicking a tory out of office here.

DD wrote:my main motivation is to increase turnout which reduces the chance of the BNP retaining their deposit

Too right, bunch o' twats. He lives round here, that Griffin bloke. Know I guy who's nearly lost his petrol station job a coupla times for refusing to serve him...
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

muchluv wrote:When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby Talyn » Sun May 02, 2010 8:12 pm

JP wrote:i cant vote here because i am a bloody immigrant, but have been following with interest. Seems like brits have a historic chance to get rid of the archaic constituency based first past the post system and get some proportionality in.

Why can't you vote? You're a UK resident... I'm able to vote, whilst also being a bloody immigrant ;)

I don't care who wins, as long as it's not Tory.
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby JP » Mon May 03, 2010 6:22 am

can only vote in local elections mate. You sure you can vote in the parliament elections?
JP
Site Admin

Postby Talyn » Mon May 03, 2010 12:53 pm

JP wrote:can only vote in local elections mate. You sure you can vote in the parliament elections?

Yup, I just had a look. You can't unless England annex Finland and make them part of the commonwealth. Which might happen if the tories win.
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby Enhydra Lutris » Mon May 03, 2010 3:42 pm

JP wrote:can only vote in local elections mate. You sure you can vote in the parliament elections?

random official website wrote:Who can register to vote?

* Anyone aged 16 or over (but you cannot vote until you are 18).
* British or qualifying Commonwealth citizens. This means Commonwealth citizens who have leave to remain in the UK or do not require such leave.
* Citizens of the Republic of Ireland or other European Union (EU) member states.

Who can vote?

* British, Irish and qualifying citizens of Commonwealth countries (including Cyprus and Malta) can vote at all elections.
* Citizens of other EU member states resident in the UK can vote in local government elections but cannot vote in UK Parliamentary elections.
* Those resident in Scotland or Wales may also vote in Scottish Parliamentary or National Assembly for Wales elections.

That does not stop the parties sending me election material every bloody day, though. You'd think they could check when getting my name off the list...
They say the grass is greener on the other side
-- but have you ever flipped it over?
The Jean-Paul Sartre cookbook: "Today I made a Black Forest cake out of five pounds of cherries and a live beaver, challenging the very definition of the word cake."
Enhydra Lutris

Postby Gelert » Mon May 03, 2010 3:50 pm

Thanks for starting a thread on this mabli, I was thinking of voting for the Conservative party as a protest vote against the BNP as it's lost its core values in trying to go "mainstream". It's obvious now I can't. Bummer. Any gen on what UKIP's like on animals?
Gelert

Postby mabli » Mon May 03, 2010 5:15 pm

ha ha ha Gelert!

I've had conversations with a number of home educating vegans who are voting conserative because of the labour party's plans to take away parental responsibility to eduacte and transfer to state in clause 26 of the Home and Families Bill

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/Home-ed-families/

Also loads of folk simply dont bother even if they're on ellectoral register

Plaid arent much better btw, they back hunting by license
mabli

Postby Gelert » Mon May 03, 2010 5:21 pm

mabli wrote:Plaid arent much better btw, they back hunting by license

Not to mention the badger cull, courtesy of Elin Jones.

In previous elections I've been fairly sorted regarding who to vote for. This time, every time I think "right, I'll vote for *****" I learn something that puts me right off them.
Gelert

Postby dublin dave » Mon May 03, 2010 5:40 pm

UKIP
"UKIP believes that 21st century scientific advances are increasingly making unreliable animal testing unacceptable on both medical and ethical grounds."

Source: http://www.ukip.org/content/ukip-policies/1529-animal-welfare-ukip-policy
dublin dave

Postby JP » Mon May 03, 2010 8:44 pm

hey, pretty depressing election discussion about immigrants like myself - it is really down to trying to figure out who doesnt like us the least :D

libdems idea to legalise paperless immigrants is an applaudable one - not a vote winner!
JP
Site Admin

Postby Gelert » Mon May 03, 2010 9:24 pm

JP wrote:hey, pretty depressing election discussion about immigrants like myself - it is really down to trying to figure out who doesnt like us the least :D

What, you're an immigrant? You seemed like a pretty nice kinda guy, not the kind to be "over here" depriving "British workers" of "British jobs". I suppose the bottom line is that you and "your kind" don't "count". Gordon Brown could even call you bigoted without pissing any registered voters off.

Citizens of.... but cannot vote in UK Parliamentary elections

All in all a pretty useful segment of the demographic to pin all the ails of society on by creating an Other without fear of comeback or more searching questions regarding their own failings being posed.

Don't feel too hard done by, JP, it's nothing personal on the part of the politicians. Some of them may even fiddle their expenses to pay the wages of the illegal immigrants to mailshot manifestos full of anti-immigration rhetoric. And that's only a slight exaggeration of Harriet Harman.
Gelert

Postby emm7 » Tue May 04, 2010 9:24 am

If you want to vote tactically to keep the Tories out, go to the BBC website http://www.bbc.co.uk and go to the politics section, then enter your postcode in the constituency finder. It will tell you the % of vote taken by each party last time corrected for new election boundaries. Don't believe any stats you've seen on party election leafets as they're biassed and often misleading. The BBC website is impartial.
Where I live the BBC shows that it's a contest between Tories and Lib Dems with Labour in 3rd place so the way to keep the Tories out is to vote Lib Dem.
"she was my better half and I was just a dog"
"I don't have a drinking problem except when I can't get a drink"
"No, the moon ain't romantic, it's intimidating as hell
And some guy's trying to sell me a watch"
-- Tom Waits Bad Liver and a Broken Heart
emm7

Next

Return to Ethics, Politics and Current Affairs