it's a little late to change up my nutrition really for my race in 5 days, but i just realized that i really dont have a full pro setup on nutrition during a triathlon race. basically when it comes to # of calories per .5-1 hour of racing. im fine with nutrition when it comes to training, but you cant have a camelpack or bike jersey full of bananas. im focusing on olympic distance tris and will do 1-2 70.3s by the end of this season
a big thing for me that i dont have full faith is in my hydration on the bike. i currently only have 1 bottle cage, trying to setup to get 2 rear ones on the back within a few weeks, and i dont like having a full bottle of water to drag around during the 40k. it wont be a 100% water bottle, but a mixture at the start- ill explain that later. the thing is that when i get hot on the bike i like to douse myself with water on my helmet and down my back, but i could see this being really an issue if the bottle is full of the sports drink given at the bike aid stations. maybe i should focus on having gu's w/ water instead of having the sports drink mixture? open to thoughts.
so heres what i'm thinking of for my race - hoping to finish within 2:30 for sundays race. all these foods ive had before in trainining, but not racing
2- get on bike
- sip on my homemade sports drink (coconut water, few strips of dulse, and 2-3 dates all blended together as fine as possible) - probably 3/4 liter bottle full
- dump my first bottle at the mile 8 aid station and get handed a water bottle. get a lot of the water out by dousing myself with some of the water so i only have about 1/2 the liter left.
- start hydrating with water and on the rest of the bike consume my homemade gel flash (2-3 dates, dulse, chia seeds, water)
- if needed get more water at the aid stations - miles 12 and 16, most likely just 16
3- get on the run
- dont drink anything in transition due to the empasis on hydration on the bike
- at the first aid station, .8 miles, consume gatorate
- mile 2, gatorate
- then most likely just water (and dousing another cup over my head)
im open for thoughts. things can always go differently and i may do it different, but i guess you gotta have a plan
My Facebook Page