Hi from Dublin, Ireland.

Please introduce yourself here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Hi from Dublin, Ireland.

Postby Jomeo » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:01 pm

Hi VeganFitness members,

I have been a vegan for about 6 months, and joined the gym last week, having stayed away from it for a year or so. I signed up to VF to get tips on weight lifting diets, nutrition etc. and so far the website has been very useful.

Over the last month or so, I've let my diet go a bit downhill and my family has been telling me constantly how skinny I've become. So I've decided to shape up, food-wise and muscle wise, and VF will help with this I'm sure.

Thanks for reading,

Joe.
'When we begin to recognise the similarities between humans and non-humans, instead of the differences, the dividing line between the two becomes more obscure and difficult to draw'. - Gary Steiner.
Jomeo

Re: Hi from Dublin, Ireland.

Postby Konstantin » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:05 pm

Hi Joe

Welcome on board. Some people lose weight as a new vegan because they're taking in less calories. Eat loads of carbs and a few fats and see how it goes.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby dublin dave » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:25 pm

Welcome...what part of Dublin do you live in?

Northside or Southside?
dublin dave

Postby baldy » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:40 pm

Hey Jomeo, welcome to VF. I am moving back to Ireland next week!

What Konstantin is saying is very true, what do you normally eat each day?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Jomeo » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:54 pm

Dublin Dave, I live in Stillorgan, South Side. How about you?

Thank you for the tip Konstantin.

Baldy, during the past two months of college, I would eat a very small lunch, maybe a bag of popcorn and a banana, that's it. I'd have a decent enough breakfast; wheatabix with raisins, some flaxseed mix, and rice milk.
Dinner would consist of potatoes, broccoli and some other bits of veg, and maybe chick peas. I would maybe have a sandwich, or bag of crisps in between these meals. Even though I wasn't doing any exercise, my protein requirements et al. were not being met at all and thinking about it now, I've been somewhat irresponsible with my diet. I am 19 years old, 5ft 10 inches, and my weight, last week, was under 10 stone, 138 pounds :oops:

For the past week, for breakfast, I've eaten a good bowl of instant oatmeal with raisins, and ground up pumpkin seeds (these have now become a staple of my diet [full or iron, zinc, and protein]) with a banana. I have also started drinking soy milk instead of rice milk for added protein.

Also, I now cook a large concoction of lentils, couscous, chick peas, pasta, and pumpkin seeds and this lasts me for a number of lunches and dinners. Full of carbs and protein. For lunch, on top of this, I eat bread, and fruit.

Dinner is now more carbohydrate heavy and bigger in size in general than it used to be. Finally, after a work-out (always in the morning) I will eat two bananas and a jam sandwich. This is two "meals" before lunch every 2nd day.
I also take a b12 and vegan iron supplement.

What do you think?

I know that I don't get enough fatty acids still. I have found the supplements (flax seed) in the local healthstore in Dublin to be quite cost prohibitive and the stuff I'm taking now does not provide my RDA.

Sorry about the length of this!
'When we begin to recognise the similarities between humans and non-humans, instead of the differences, the dividing line between the two becomes more obscure and difficult to draw'. - Gary Steiner.
Jomeo

Postby Loops » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:40 pm

Welcome from one newbie to another. :)
Loops

Postby dublin dave » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:43 pm

Jomeo wrote:Dublin Dave, I live in Stillorgan, South Side. How about you?

I'm from Donaghmede on the Northside but I currently live in Leeds...
dublin dave

Postby baldy » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:39 am

Jomeo wrote:For the past week, for breakfast, I've eaten a good bowl of instant oatmeal with raisins, and ground up pumpkin seeds (these have now become a staple of my diet [full or iron, zinc, and protein]) with a banana. I have also started drinking soy milk instead of rice milk for added protein.

Also, I now cook a large concoction of lentils, couscous, chick peas, pasta, and pumpkin seeds and this lasts me for a number of lunches and dinners. Full of carbs and protein. For lunch, on top of this, I eat bread, and fruit.

Dinner is now more carbohydrate heavy and bigger in size in general than it used to be. Finally, after a work-out (always in the morning) I will eat two bananas and a jam sandwich. This is two "meals" before lunch every 2nd day.
I also take a b12 and vegan iron supplement.

What do you think?

New diet seems vast improvement on the old one. Still lacking tofu and linda Mc Cartney sausages though :)
Have you read the infamous bulkers corner thread yet? viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4518
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Return to New member introductions