100 day running challenge: who's in?

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

100 day running challenge: who's in?

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:41 pm

Starters for April 17 & Finishing July 26

gms
Mr. Cleetus
TMH
KjKranz
ilovecake
donhillingdemon
skoptic
aflicki
spike
chloe

Both gms and I have had too much life and other training get in the way of our running for the last wee while so our running fitness is at a low. I think about a 20yr low for me! So to get our focus back and to get things on track again we are going to start a 100 day running challenge. The goal will be to run as frequently as we can during this time and to also get in as many kms (ok, gms can use miles) as possible. I suspect she is going to run me into the ground. We should probably pick at goal race near the end as the primary aim of this is to get our fitness back. Maybe we should also do a few 5km (or whatever) TTs or races along the way to track our fitness.

Anybody with us? We can probably manage to track kms, days, etc in a thread somehow. We'd be open to any suggestions to changes in the challenge (fewer days?). At this point the winner can get a big sloppy kiss from my dog if they can get themselves to Wellington, but I imagine that is as good as the glory will get.

I know, for me, anything to aide getting me out the door will be a bonus as I am travelling much too much during this time. But I don't expect my totals to be too high.

:arrow: c'moooooon, it'll be fun. :D
Last edited by Mr. Cleetus on Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:10 am, edited 5 times in total.
Mr. Cleetus

Re: 100 day running challenge: who's in?

Postby gms » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:35 am

Mr. Cleetus wrote:Anybody??

(ok, gms can use miles) as possible. I suspect she is going to run me into the ground.
:arrow: c'moooooon, it'll be fun. :D

I am probably in the minority here but I am just not awake at 4am to convert miles to km to make sure I'm running Cleetus into the ground.
8)
Goal race/races sounds good!
gms

Postby gms » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:32 pm

hmmm SOOO nobody is brave or crazy enough to join?
gms

Postby TMH » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:26 am

I'm in. Need something to motivate me right now...

I have a goal in mind for December, which consists of three stages. At the mo' I can't get beyond stage one.
TMH

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:14 pm

TMH wrote:I'm in.

awesome!

We're gonna have to decide when to kick this thing off. Maybe we give it 1 more week to see if we can sucker anybody else in?
Mr. Cleetus

Postby KjKranz » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:00 pm

Does this have to be 100 runs in 100 days? I only run four days a week...
KjKranz

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:25 pm

KjKranz wrote:Does this have to be 100 runs in 100 days? I only run four days a week...

Nope! :D I certainly won't be doing that. I'd love to, and that would be an ultimate goal, but I know with my schedule it is not even close to possible. The real goal is just to encourage us to run as much as possible during the time; maybe some motivation to push beyond where we currently are. Possibly you could add in a few 5th days per week. :)
Mr. Cleetus

Postby KjKranz » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:31 pm

I used to do five days a week but like the extra recovery that only running four a week gives me, plus the flexibility. However that does mean I need to run a bit longer with only four days a week instead of five :p
KjKranz

Postby TMH » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:52 pm

Mr. Cleetus wrote:We're gonna have to decide when to kick this thing off. Maybe we give it 1 more week to see if we can sucker anybody else in?

If we can give it one more week... it'll give me a chance to ease into getting up early again beforehand, etc, lol!

Oh, and if your dog can beat the kind of doggy kisses my Staffy hands out... I'd be happy with that!
TMH

Postby downhillingdemon » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:15 pm

I'd really be up for this, but I'm going into hospital for an op on the 21st so that's gonna be me laid up for a while.

If you do it again though, then definitely - it sounds like a SUPER idea! :D
"You can't hide from your shadow"
downhillingdemon

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:21 pm

One more week sounds good. So, how about a weekend start?

Start: Saturday April 17th
End: Monday July 26th (I think!)

Maybe your Staffy and Otis will have to do a run together one day during this.

Yes, a treadmill is definitely welcome, Cake. Anything to get you running. :)

ahh noo, sorry to hear that downhillingdemon, hope it goes alright. You could always try and join in for the second half?
Mr. Cleetus

Postby downhillingdemon » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:32 pm

Mr. Cleetus wrote:ahh noo, sorry to hear that downhillingdemon, hope it goes alright. You could always try and join in for the second half?

Ah, I might just join you at the start and extend the time at the end for the number of days I have to rest in the middle :D
"You can't hide from your shadow"
downhillingdemon

Postby skoptic » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:04 pm

Good to see some suckers signing up :-). I'll join in the fun too - although I do a lot of running already and am training for a triathlon (so spend a lot of time in the saddle and swimming too). But I like the idea of this nice little personal / forum challenge :-) .....

till July!?!? ... 100 days is quite a long time eh!?
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby TMH » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:11 am

DHD: Bummer to hear about the op, but joining at the onset will be a blast! Will give you a "taste" for future challenges like this.

Mr C: Weekend start (Sat 17-Apr) with end date of endish July sounds grand. What kind of pooch do you have? Hmmm, the poochies running together sometime sounds grand, although if you're expecting me to run with you... hahaha... my short legs will be sprinting beside you "long shanks", no doubt.

Cake: The challenge is exciting. Maybe that's why I did something stupid today... ran just over 20kms with my iPod... last run was near over two weeks ago (have been under the weather and working long hours). Initially was just going to do a short stint, but the sun was shining, the trails were picturesque... I was thinking about the internet camaraderie and the motivation of the challenge... it was a total blast!!!!!!!
TMH

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:07 pm

Awesome, it'll be great to have a few of us doing this.

Skoptic: I promise to work hard and try and make it a bit of a challenge for you. :P

TMH - he is an Aussie Shepherd and just turned four yesterday. :)
Mr. Cleetus

Next

Return to Vegan Runners