Inside Straight Edge

Music, movies, literature, art, poems...

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Postby xbojanx » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:29 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9QCOQ6KTik

Straight Edge on Fox News - Have Heart, Bridge 9 etc... nice
xbojanx

Postby xbojanx » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:42 am

Ten Yard Fight on RAP AROUND 1995

Part 1 :arrow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNufCfuJVH4

there are parts 2 and 3, and it's hilarious

:lol: :lol: :lol:
xbojanx

Postby Ombah » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:37 pm

chico wrote:It seems like there were some "deleted scenes" on this documentary (mockumentary?) that covered aspects of vegan sxe. has anybody seen those?

Posted a long time ago, but still...
Yeah, I saw it on TV and there was a couple of guys who lived in an abandoned house and they used to ride their bikes and stuff... That part was the best and it's not in the youtube-version.
Ombah

Re:

Postby City_of_F » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:06 pm

prenna wrote:
Rubber_Ritchie wrote:I don't understand why some straight edgers bring sex into it.

One word....religion. Once sXe started to get infected by Krsna consciousness and puritanical Christianity looking to recruit then nonsense about sex came into it.

That and people misinterpreting "Out of Step" by Minor Threat.

I gotta say that the whole "no sex" thing has always been a mystery. If you're going to screw around, be careful, but there really isn't a moral issue here. I mean, don't get me wrong, my list of partners is pretty short considering I don't really think sex is a big deal. I guess I just have to really like someone before I go to bed with them, which one wouldn't think that is a tough criteria, but I guess for me, it kind of is...

Main point is that if I decided to go out and sleep with 1,000 people, male or female, it is really my own business and it isn't immoral as long as everyone is an consenting adult... I don't know why other people make it their business.

Sex is like eating. If you're hungry, you find something to eat... It's all biological. If you eat crap, you get fat and die... you screw around stupidly, you get a disease. It's all cause and effect and nothing more...
It`s a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don`t keep your feet, there`s no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Tolkein
City_of_F

Re: Inside Straight Edge

Postby thestoatyone » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:33 pm

But isn't that the point?

I ain't 'edge, but I thought the idea was to avoid destructive patterns of behaviour - no so much about avoiding sex as avoiding casual sex.

If you like the other person, have got to know them (or at least their name...) and are both entering into it to sate a very real need for sexual contact that everybody has then it seems compatible with sXe to me, even if the relationship hasn't got the legs to continue forever.
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

muchluv wrote:When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby xrodolfox » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:31 pm

Straight Edge was never about "not entering into destructive behavior". That is a new, and IMO, rather shallow interpretation of sXe culture.

It has been about rejecting dominant culture, including the "jock" culture where people had casual sex, especially since rape-culture is pretty dominant within teen male culture.

As the decades have passed, straight edge has changed, and this new ideas of purity, or avoiding destructive behaviors, and puritanism have emerged. However, those are always at conflict with what is the norm in sXe culture: tattoos, piercings, going to shows and dancing quite violently, engaging in other "punk" youth behavior that does not include recreational drug use, etc.

Either way, the song "out of step" did NOT define straight edge... the culture existed before the song, and a culture is bigger than one song, or one style, or one location, or one place in time. sXe keeps changing, and it is certainly different than when I was a teen nearly two decades ago.

Regardless, this sex thing has roots that are NOT tied to puritanism, but rather tied to a rejection of the teen culture in punk and dominant culture in the 1980's to create something more meaningful. sXe may have changed, but it still is that at its core: a rejection of dominant punk and dominant pop/adult culture to create something more meaningful.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby thestoatyone » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:20 am

Mmm, interesting as ever xRx, cheers.
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

muchluv wrote:When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Previous

Return to Culture