cutting weight to a competition

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby JP » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:57 am

i decided to start cutting down slowly already, perhaps if i hit my next heavy comp on 6th of march at 110-111 then the remaining drop wont be as harsh to my strength gains.
JP
Site Admin

Postby XkillerX » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:25 pm

tl;dr

drink more water, don't eat junkfood.
Activists are the engineers of the soul. That's why governments lock them up.
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

Postby JP » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:35 pm

yeah, my first step has been slight cut down on eating, no soft drinks, crisps and the like, and step up the cardio and generally walking around.

when things get desperate i will stop eating ice cream (most nights)
JP
Site Admin

Postby XkillerX » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:49 pm

There is an old saying around here for people who want to achieve certain goals while behaving the complete opposite way.

Wants to fuck but refuses penetration.

Stay true to your goals, not to your junkfood.
Activists are the engineers of the soul. That's why governments lock them up.
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

Re: cutting weight to a competition

Postby JP » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:36 am

ok, so started from a top weight of 113.5kg in mid february, and this morning i was 107.9kg.

On training days i eat more, on days off or "cardio" days i eat less.

I have been walking way more, to work, from work, walking around etc.

The amount of cardio i have done has been shamefully low :D But some nevertheless!

Diet wise i have cut out all the crap, and am eating more things like protein bars instead of my usual elevensies or afternoon snacks. Chocolate soya milk is only consumed... perhaps two a day :D

Will gorge a lot of carbs and food in general on saturday because i have a competition on sunday (open weight class), and carbs = power, but after that starts my last sprint to the finish line.

The 105kg competition is in 3 weeks time.
JP
Site Admin

Postby ninearms » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:40 am

Marathon runner. :D
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby JP » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:12 pm

[quote="ninearms"]Marathon runner. :D

you mean losing the remaining weight in 3 weeks? :D Aye, it is a long time...

BUT! I wanted to get to my target weight of under 107 a week before the comp so i can eat a bit more leading up to the comp.

I have also stopped taking creatine which has lead to some loss, but would be lovely to get some of it in before the comp. Any suggestions for that? Any value in nailing creatine in the morning of the comp after weigh in?
JP
Site Admin

Postby ninearms » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:24 pm

[quote="JP"][quote="ninearms"]Marathon runner. :D

you mean losing the remaining weight in 3 weeks? :D Aye, it is a long time...

BUT! I wanted to get to my target weight of under 107 a week before the comp so i can eat a bit more leading up to the comp.

I have also stopped taking creatine which has lead to some loss, but would be lovely to get some of it in before the comp. Any suggestions for that? Any value in nailing creatine in the morning of the comp after weigh in?

You could always stay on the creatine and get a haircut. Must be 5 or 6kg in those locks now. :D Don't think there's much value in nailing creatine that close to the comp - not enough time to saturate the stores again.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby KC Masterpiece » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:51 pm

[quote="JP"]On training days i eat more, on days off or "cardio" days i eat less.

^^This is the basic guideline I'm following. Never really tried anything like this before so I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible. Combining with more or less protein, carbs and total calories on the appropriate days.

Did limit strength training for 10 weeks, will max out w/e April 3. Weight now at 98. Initial goal was to be at 100 by April 3.

Comp on May 2, looking to get to 86 by then :lol: . I lose weight incredibly fast, especially when doing cardio and conditioning which I will progressively do more of as the date nears. Next weight class up is 92 if two weeks from 4/3 i'm still not under this number.
KC Masterpiece

Postby JP » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:16 pm

competition is in 3 sleeps time, and weight is about 106 now :) Thats a drop of 7.5kg from the height less than two months back.

This journey has been awesome, love it.

Losing weight is easy - dont know why people struggle so much ;)

But actually, sometimes it is not easy to refuse to eat stuff you would like to eat. But apart from one epic fail of tucking into chips and butties last saturday, i have been a very good boy.

Also, i guess it is easier, since my weight loss calorie intake must be over 3000 (havent counted, but quick estimations would show something like that), so its not exactly like starvation diet :D

Plan is not to eat huge amounts today, then eat more carb rich foods tomorrow and day after, hopefully sit at around 106 still and do a bit of water manipulation on the last night.

Looking pretty ripped in my book now - next thing i know i will be doing bicep curls...
JP
Site Admin

Postby baldy » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:49 pm

[quote="JP"]
This journey has been awesome, love it.

Like when we had 3 pies each at the pieman in Edinburgh and you only had a small low fat one?

Need some pictures of the new ripped JP in some skinny jeans.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby npx » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:44 am

[quote="JP"]
Losing weight is easy - dont know why people struggle so much ;)

Yeah I guess it was hard to decrease your 8k kcal to 6k each day. You must be really hungry ;)
We see the winners and "learn" from them, while forgetting the huge unseen cemetery of losers.
npx

Postby JP » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:11 am

damn, i should have measured my cal intake, but my guestimate is that i dropped it from 4500 to about 400 to start with and then to 3500ish and below on non-training days.

my Plan is not to go all out on food after the comp either, focus more on lean gains (i think i always say this but then fail?)

baldy, you mean ripped JP in ripped skinny jean shorts? i know you want to...
JP
Site Admin

Postby chronyx » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:10 pm

Well done JP. Impressive improvement! Don't like the phrase 'fat loss'. Loss normally means a bad thing!
chronyx

Postby Andrewc » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:03 am

[quote="JP"]my Plan is not to go all out on food after the comp either, focus more on lean gains (i think i always say this but then fail?)

I'm keen to follow this plan. I'm feeling a little sluggish and uncomfortable at a "whopping" 87kgs, I guess that's because I was always about 60kgs/skinny for most of my life and am not used to it though.
Andrewc

PreviousNext

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating