Linnéa's lifting, yoga and climbing log

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Linnéa's lifting, yoga and climbing log

Postby Linnéa76 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:45 pm

I just started a training diary and now I’m thinking why not start a training log!
I think it might give me a little extra discipline and motivation. At the moment, I’m mostly doing strength training and some group training. My goal is basically to improve strength and condition slowly but surely, while remaining injury-free… Also, being able to do multiple unassisted pull ups would be nice!
Goal image:

Here’s week 1:

Monday: Body Combat. This is always fun but I’m getting a little tired of the current routine, looking forward to new the one that’s released next week! The instructor is great but what’s the deal with her pink boxing trunks with “girl power” printed over the crotch? Maybe these are ironic trunks.

Tuesday: A few minutes on the cross trainer.

Chest & shoulder exercise on bench, like bench press but with arms alongside body,
13,5 kg DB: 8, 6, 5, 4, 5 reps. Flyes with 6 kg DB x 9. Side raise with 6 kg DB x 10.

Assisted dips: -30 x 5, -23 x 3 X 5, -30 x 5.

Deadlift: 60 kg 4 x 5, 1x 4.

Cable row: 36 kg x 8 (Nautilus style).

Abs: Super slow crunches, all the way up with passive arms. Hard! Did 3 of these with ok form.

Thursday: Tried some tests as suggested in my training diary. Cooper test: 2 km on treadmill took 12:44. That’s not very good, is it? I would certainly not be admitted to the police academy… Leg strength: ( back to wall and legs at a straight angle, is there an English name for it?) 2 min. Elbow plank: 1:45. Press ups: 31.
I don’t know about these tests… Will I get better a these things without actually practicing them? We’ll see, I’ll try again in 3 months.

Proceeded to do a short work out:

Box Squat: 65 kg x 1, 70 kg x 1 (PB), 55 kg 3 x 5.

Hang clean: 35 kg, 3 x 5.

Assisted pull ups: -30 x 5. -23 x 5, -23 x 4 + 1 neg, -23 x 4 + 1 neg, -30 x 5.

Hip abduction 71 kg x 12 (Nautilus style).

Saturday: Body Combat. Morning class and felt low in energy to begin with, exhausted afterwards. At my gym, the male instructors seem to have been recruited partly based on aesthetic merits. I find this can improve workouts, because you don’t want to look weak in front of the cute instructor! :) Had a sauna and went to eat veggie buffet with my training buddy.
Last edited by Linnéa76 on Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Re: Pigs can fly

Postby JP » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:06 pm

interesting and pretty hardcore training!

Good luck with your goals!

if the look is the goal, dont forget to take some pics now so that you can compare muscular development in months-6 months time. Get in all back, shoulders, legs etc. Its very motivating to see the progress which you wouldnt normally even notice because it is so slow!

You dont have to post them on VF :lol:
JP
Site Admin

Postby thestoatyone » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:09 pm

Yeah squats look solid.

I laughed at the bit about cute instructors!
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

muchluv wrote:When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby Rochellita » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:31 pm

yippie, someone else who does Body Combat. I can't do any impact classes at the moment and seriously miss my Combat sessions. Hoping I'm ok by the next release, we get it mid-April. There's a funky sword kata in track 6 I'm excited about :D

As for Terminator - I carried a photocopy of that pic in my purse for ages :lol: Good luck with your goals!
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby offense74 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:04 pm

I can stand next to you when you train wearing pink tights saying manpower. Would that inspire you or did I miss the point?

"The surest way to happiness is low expectations."
offense74

Postby thestoatyone » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:48 pm

offense74 wrote:I can stand next to you when you train wearing pink tights saying staffing. Would that inspire you or did I miss the point?

Tsk.
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

muchluv wrote:When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby hakko » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:18 pm

standard dead hang pull-ups? or do you do something more intricate?

hakko

Postby Linnéa76 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:21 pm

Thanks for your comments guys!

JP wrote:if the look is the goal, dont forget to take some pics now so that you can compare muscular development in months-6 months time. Get in all back, shoulders, legs etc. Its very motivating to see the progress which you wouldnt normally even notice because it is so slow!

It's actually more Linda Hamiltons chin up skills I strive for than the 0% body fat look, but sure it's motivating when you see changes! I might take you up on your advice. As for now, I've just taken some measurements.

.flux wrote:yippie, someone else who does Body Combat. I can't do any impact classes at the moment and seriously miss my Combat sessions. Hoping I'm ok by the next release, we get it mid-April. There's a funky sword kata in track 6 I'm excited about :D
As for Terminator - I carried a photocopy of that pic in my purse for ages :lol: Good luck with your goals!

Yay! We can compare notes in April, then. I heard there's no capoeira in the new choreography, a bit disappointing cause I was just getting the hang of it! I'm sure they've come up with something interesting, though.

Offense74, you're welcome to come and spot me in whichever clothes you feel comfortable in! Or take a Body Jam class, if you prefer.

Actually, anyone who's in Stockholm can join me at World Class, I've got a bunch of tickets!

I just got back from my Power Box class and it was great! I don't know which I love more, Body Combat or Power Box... It's more satisfying to actually hit something like you do in boxing, but there are more kicks and better music in Body Combat. Good thing I don't have to choose. :)
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Postby Linnéa76 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:32 pm

@hakko: Yes, that's exactly the thing! Right now I do assisted ones, at 23kg at best. Which means c:a -17 kg at the machine I'm using. The next step is 16 kg, which doesn't really help I think, so when 23 kg feels just a little easier I'll start doing them properly!
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Postby Rochellita » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:56 am

I look forward to comparing notes. I must say I really don't like most of the music on the upcoming release though! Do you do any of the other Les Mills classes, I saw Jam mentioned? I do them all, except Pump.
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby Linnéa76 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:25 am

.flux wrote:I look forward to comparing notes. I must say I really don't like most of the music on the upcoming release though! Do you do any of the other Les Mills classes, I saw Jam mentioned? I do them all, except Pump.

I think I've tried them all, Body Jam just once. That was fun, but Body Balance is the only Les Mills class I do right now except for Body Combat. I don't know if the their classes are supposed to be in sync? We got a new Body Balance routine like a month ago.

Yesterday's session:

5 min cross trainer

BP: Bar x 10, 30 kg 3 x 8, 2 x 7.

DB Shoulder press: 9 kg, 10, 3 x 8, 7.

Triceps: Rope overhead 22,5 kg, 12, 10, 3 x 8. Supersetted with pushdowns: 25 kg, 8, 6, 5, 5, 4.

DL: 60 kg, 5 x 6.

Seated calf raise: 25 kg, 2 x 10, 8.

Neck excersice; home work from the naprapath.

Stretching. Lay on rehab roll to stretch upper spine - bliss!
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Postby Linnéa76 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:26 pm

Took the new Body Combat class today! I really liked it, it was varied and pretty easy to learn. The sword movements were fun too, and the instructor encouraged us to imagine we were Jack Sparrow. :lol:
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Postby Linnéa76 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:10 pm

5 min row machine.

Hang Cleans: 35 kg, 5 x 8.

Squats: 55 kg, 4 x 8, 1 x 6.

Did 1 x 8 back extensions with 10 kg plate while waiting for the pull up bar to become available.

Pull ups: -30 kg x 5, -23 kg x 5, -23 kg x 3 + 2 neg, -"-, -30 kg x 4 + 1 neg. Not happy!
As punishment: Cable row 36 kg, 1 x 8.

Lying hip abduction x 10 each side.

Was thinking about doing some ab exercise but decided to save some energy for tomorrow's boxing class.

A quick stretch before rushing home to have a big bowl of food!
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Postby Rochellita » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:13 am

Linnéa76 wrote:Took the new Body Combat class today! I really liked it, it was varied and pretty easy to learn. The sword movements were fun too, and the instructor encouraged us to imagine we were Jack Sparrow. :lol:

Sounds like fun. In answer to your previous question, all the new LM releases tend to be launched on the same day here. Can I ask- are any of the classes you do ever taught in English?
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby Linnéa76 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:36 am

They don't normally teach them in English, but if someone in the class doesn't understand Swedish the instructors keep an eye on them and translate some of the instructions when needed. Are you planning on visiting a Swedish gym? :)
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Next

Return to Training Logs