Liquid chalk vs the real thing

Home of strength: powerlifting, olympic lifting, grip strength, strongman, odd object lifting, explosive power...

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Liquid chalk vs the real thing

Postby xJimx » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:11 pm

Purely in terms of grip what's better? Mess isn't an issue for me as my gym don't mind you using chalk as long as you don't make a mess. What do folk here prefer?
DYEL
xJimx

Postby ninearms » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:30 pm

Megagrip Liquid Chalk everytime (myprotein's is just relabelled Megagrip). A bottle lasts an absolute age, and during a session once I've chalked up my whole hand I'll only have to occasionally redo my fingertips where the chalk's been worn off by loading plates, tightening my belt etc, and for that only a tiny little drop is needed (about the size of a chocolate chip, or a rat's nose). Plus it doesn't make the platform slippery, or clog up the bar knurling. I only use regular block chalk now when I'm back in Leeds and don't have all my kit with me.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby xJimx » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:10 pm

Actually it was browsing the Myprotein site that prompted me to ask, so I think I'll give it a bash, cheers mate.
DYEL
xJimx

Postby bronco » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:13 pm

I've been using edelweiss liquid chalk. From a pure grip perspective I would say there is no difference to using normal chalk.
JP wrote:Spirulina is a badass crew, and they often just hang around in street corners looking to beat up proteins.

They oftenget confused by the fact that they are almost half protein themselves.
bronco
Site Admin

Postby JP » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:26 pm

feels too high tech and posh for me.

I only use it at very special occasions, such as comps, big lifts in a big session, weddings etc.

then again, i use very little chalk anyway.
JP
Site Admin

Postby Andrewc » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:33 pm

I only used liquid chalk once purely because it was there and I was curious. It worked just like regular chalk, but the trouble is that I hard a time washing it off afterward. I like to wash up and get clean and pamper myself after training.
Andrewc

Postby Euphoric » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:03 am

I don't use chalk that often (only for deadlifting) but I choose liquid. No mess, easy to transport and easy dosage.
Euphoric

Postby baldy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:44 pm

I had a go with the liquid stuff yesterday. Application was easy and really stung when it got into my cracked callus.
Was as good if not better than using chalk, missed not having to walk up and down to the chalk stand between sets.
baldy
Site Admin

Postby the crazyest vegan » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:05 pm

i use mud.
the crazyest vegan

Return to Power and Strength