Soy protein gives me bad stomach

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Postby Ombah » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:49 pm

fredrikw wrote:Have you actually taken a look at the protein and carb content of a regular glass of soy milk with o'boy (or any other chocolate drink powder)?

My recovery drink consists of about 4dl of sweetened Alpro soy milk and 5 tsp of Änglamark's organic chocolate drink powder, which adds up to about about 15g of protein and 40g of carbs. As an endurance athlete this is a pretty good protein/carb ratio.

Nice! Love this forum.
I've read that you need about 2g / body kg per day to build. That would be 100 g protein a day for me (yes, I'm very light). I've also read that the body only can maintain 25 g proteins a day. The protein-question is quite confusing. Who is there to trust?
Ombah

Postby erske » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:52 pm

fredrikw wrote:Have you actually taken a look at the protein and carb content of a regular glass of soy milk with o'boy (or any other chocolate drink powder)?

My recovery drink consists of about 4dl of sweetened Alpro soy milk and 5 tsp of Änglamark's organic chocolate drink powder, which adds up to about about 15g of protein and 40g of carbs. As an endurance athlete this is a pretty good protein/carb ratio.

I thought you stopped doing recovery drinks ? :wink:
Something irrelevant about cavemen
erske

Postby fredrikw » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:01 pm

erske wrote:I thought you stopped doing recovery drinks ? :wink:

he he, yeah the carb packed ones are not around anymore (ie soft drinks), but adding a bit of protein after a hard training session is not a bad idea I think :)
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby erske » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:03 pm

Anarchyrunning wrote:Nice! Love this forum.
I've read that you need about 2g / body kg per day to build. That would be 100 g protein a day for me (yes, I'm very light). I've also read that the body only can maintain 25 g proteins a day. The protein-question is quite confusing. Who is there to trust?

I find people on VF very trust worthy :wink:

For someone who train allot the protein need can increase up to 2g/kg body weight (for most people probably less).. the 25g per day thing I have never heard of, the amount turned into muscle is very small, but that doesn't say the need isn't greater..
Something irrelevant about cavemen
erske

Postby Ombah » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:07 pm

What do you think about this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae-dlHOmwk4
Ombah

Postby JP » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:18 pm

Anarchyrunning wrote:What do you think about this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae-dlHOmwk4

somewhere between bollocks and rubbish.
JP
Site Admin

Re: Soy protein gives me bad stomach

Postby seanf399 » Tue May 04, 2010 3:50 am

Soy makes my intestines swell up! my doctor to me to switch to fortified coconut milk and take a probiotic..... I'm also allergic to Dairy so I 've been drinking soy milk for ages....guess I got intolerant

My stomach hurt so bad I thought I had ruptured something or my liver was failing.... (my shit looked all funny too.....)
"Workers of the World Unite."
seanf399

Postby JP » Tue May 04, 2010 7:30 am

if you develope an intolerance isnt it about large quantities of it? As in, after a while off you could reintroduce it in smaller amounts?

thats one of the reasons i try to vary my protein sources, would be terrible to get an intolerance to soya!
JP
Site Admin

Postby seanf399 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:11 am

yeah lately I have been able to add soy back in.....!!!!! SOY BURGERS!!!

but I still take the probiotics....nothing hurts...so I don't worry!

if it aint hurt dont fix it!
"Workers of the World Unite."
seanf399

Previous

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating