cutting weight to a competition

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

cutting weight to a competition

Postby JP » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:27 pm

Who has experience about this?

What is your strategy?

What kind of weight do you cut?

How does that impact your training? Do you change things around?

I am looking forward to the day when i start cutting my weight to the u105 strongman comp. Currently at about 112-113kg, and was thinking of cutting down to 107ish and then just some water weight over the night before the morning weigh in. Three hours of rehydration and eating and onwards with the comp.

I will start the cut after my next comp on 6th of March, and need to be ready on 11th of feb.
JP
Site Admin

Postby xJimx » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:54 pm

Take it to VBB!

Seriously though, there are competing BBers on VBB who could probably help you. Too many fat bsatards like me here on VF.
DYEL
xJimx

Postby fredrikw » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:06 pm

This is an interesting topic that we've been discussing before JP, and as before I really have not much to offer in terms of knowledge, but curious as I am I want to chime in with some questions. :)

I assume there has been studies where they compare training at competition weight (or close to it), with training at higher weight and cutting just before the weigh-in, and comparing the actual results. In my mind, coming from an endurance sport, cutting like many do just before an event would be so detrimental to performance the day after, so any positive effects of having a larger muscle mass would be canceled by the fact that you're putting your body through quite an ordeal the day before the competition. But that's endurance sports, and the carry-over to strength sports are probably not at all the same. What do the magic world of science offer here? :)
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby JP » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:37 pm

bodybuilders are a different animal because their sport is weird, they dont have to athletically perform on stage, so i think their advice would not be all that useful...

I was thinking more like martial artists, or powerlifters etc.

Fred, there is a detrimental effect, which is why reversely i bulk up if i have a heavy competition coming up like now on march :D But the trick is to minimise it. The water weight dropping makes no difference in anything if it is not drastic, tested it myself few times, and martial artists, boxers etc do that all the time. So the last couple kgs i am not too worried about.
JP
Site Admin

Postby Andrewc » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:50 pm

I've gotten all my advice from here and it's worked spot on both times I referred to it. I weighed in at 82.45kgs and 82.35kgs in the 82.5kgs class.
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/making_weight.htm

In the last two weeks I try to eat a little cleaner and drop about 2-3kgs above contest weight

A couple of things I focus on are:
• Force myself to drink lots and lots of water on the day before weighing-in.
• Cut water and liquids about 12 hours prior to the weigh-in time. So say weigh-in is at 9am saturday I stop drinking at 9pm friday.
• A glass of straight lemon juice being the last thing I drink.
• A small amount of a fruit based laxative.
Andrewc

Postby fredrikw » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:53 pm

[quote="JP"]Fred, there is a detrimental effect, which is why reversely i bulk up if i have a heavy competition coming up like now on march :D But the trick is to minimise it. The water weight dropping makes no difference in anything if it is not drastic, tested it myself few times, and martial artists, boxers etc do that all the time. So the last couple kgs i am not too worried about.

Yeah, but I was more thinking about extremes like that Ukrainian beast at the finnish competition last summer for example. No doubt that he was able to perform very well and win the whole thing, but it would be interesting to know more about the bad effects from the weigh-in cutting compared to the advantage of being heavy overall.

Interesting about the boxer and martial artists, because in these sports endurance is more of an issue than it is in weight lifting (not that weight lifting doesn't require endurance, but the length of it are somewhat shorter and from the little knowledge/prejudism I have about these sports I can see a boxer and a martial artists doing quite a lot of cardio, while a weight lifter do a bit less :)
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby dubin » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:28 pm

In regards to the water weight... try completely cutting out salt. You can drop some major weight that way! When I stopped eating salt I lost about 8 lbs REALLY fast.
Don't buy upgrades... ride up grades... and eat a low fat raw vegan diet!
dubin

Postby KaliBaby » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:04 pm

[quote="dubin"]In regards to the water weight... try completely cutting out salt. You can drop some major weight that way! When I stopped eating salt I lost about 8 lbs REALLY fast.

if only it was that easy!!! :roll:
Live by the sea. Love by the moon.
KaliBaby

Postby dubin » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:43 am

[quote="KaliBaby"][quote="dubin"]In regards to the water weight... try completely cutting out salt. You can drop some major weight that way! When I stopped eating salt I lost about 8 lbs REALLY fast.

It is. Just stop eating it.
dubin

Postby KaliBaby » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:17 am

[quote="dubin"][quote="KaliBaby"][quote="dubin"]In regards to the water weight... try completely cutting out salt. You can drop some major weight that way! When I stopped eating salt I lost about 8 lbs REALLY fast.

It is. Just stop eating it.

actually it isn't. sex, age, health conditions etc factor into weight loss. cutting out salt for some people won't do the job.
Live by the sea. Love by the moon.
KaliBaby

Postby JP » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:25 am

salt is important, especially for an athlete.

BUT, the water weight cut is on the night before, something like 9pm to 9am. general water retention = good for strength, good for joints etc etc.

Thats why i wouldnt like to cut out creatine either.

Rather focus on losing fat to be honest...

Andrewc, thanks for the fantastic link. I think the point is that i shouldnt leave it too long. So i face a dilemma, do i risk some strength loss in my next comp so that i can be on track to lose the weight to the u105 comp - or risk strength at the 105 comp by losing the weight too fast.

GAINING WEIGHT IS SO EASY! scales were 113.5 couple nights back :( I think i need to start cutting down already...
JP
Site Admin

Postby dubin » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:02 pm

Sodium is important to the athlete. Table salt is not.
dubin

Postby crapiecorn » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:26 pm

If you' re afraid you won't make weight, can you always take some caffeine tablets to flush out excess water weight
crapiecorn

Postby hardcore iv » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:06 am

Matt Kroczaleski cutting article is the most extreme method I've read about. http://www.elitefts.com/documents/cut_max_weight_for_comp.htm
Let us know how it goes :)
"When you are born, you are set forth to die. The fact that you live or don't live between these two dates depends solely upon your own will, opportunities and desires. The weight exerciser, of course, indicates that he chooses to live." Joseph Curtis Hise
hardcore iv

Postby veganjosh » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:45 am

[quote="Andrewc"]I've gotten all my advice from here and it's worked spot on both times I referred to it. I weighed in at 82.45kgs and 82.35kgs in the 82.5kgs class.
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/making_weight.htm

In the last two weeks I try to eat a little cleaner and drop about 2-3kgs above contest weight

A couple of things I focus on are:
• Force myself to drink lots and lots of water on the day before weighing-in.
• Cut water and liquids about 12 hours prior to the weigh-in time. So say weigh-in is at 9am saturday I stop drinking at 9pm friday.
• A glass of straight lemon juice being the last thing I drink.
• A small amount of a fruit based laxative.

This is pretty much exactly the protocol I followed when I was cutting weight for lifting back in the day...lots of water the day before, no liquid starting the evening before, eat a lemon before bed, sleep in a sweatshirt and sweatpants. I would lose 1-2kg over night. You obviously have to be really careful about going overboard and hurting performance, but, from my personal experience, you can lose a few pounds without taking a performance hit. The thing that is very important to keep in mind, though, is that if you're lifting in gear the gear will feel substantially looser...
veganjosh

Next

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating