If I were to open a gym..

Home of strength: powerlifting, olympic lifting, grip strength, strongman, odd object lifting, explosive power...

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

If I were to open a gym..

Postby sosso » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:37 am

.. what equipment would you like it to have?

I've been dreaming of opening a gym aimed at powerlifters, olympic lifters & strongmen/women. Of course bodybuilders would be welcome, but it's highly unlikely that you'd find things like leg curl machines and smith machines inside. It would be the kind of place where grunting and yelling is fine, the use of chalk is encouraged.. basically the kind of place I'd love to train myself.

So I just wanted to ask everyone to give me an idea of what an ideal set-up for you might be. Some of the things I'd want to include -

Several power racks
Platforms
Olympic bars
Bumpers & other Olympic size plates
Full set of dumbbells
Free-standing squat stands for the platforms.. maybe blocks too..?
Chains
Flat benches & probably some adjustable benches for incline etc
Logs
Stones & loading platforms
Kegs
Yoke
Farmers handles
Axels
Tyres
GHR
Reverse hyper

What are some other essentials I've missed?

This is just a dream at this stage, but I really would like to make it happen, because there's nothing around here that offers all of that.
sosso

Postby Andrewc » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:55 am

I'd probably mix up the bars with oly and pl bars because of the knurling, whip, and difference in speed of the rolling sleeves to suit different types of lifting.
Andrewc

Postby thestoatyone » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:35 am

Box for box squats?

Bands maybe?

And prolly a range of boards for board presses.

Other than that you've got it pretty much sorted I reckon...
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

muchluv wrote:When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby the crazyest vegan » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:15 pm

What i'd really like...is like a jukebox with a load of trance/dance tunes in it, and maybe a couple of those big shiney balls they hang above dance floors? you could have lights shining on it so it glitters all over the place :)

but srsly, that sounds pretty good :D
the crazyest vegan

Postby JP » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:03 pm

+ good lifters, and a good crew :D

IDEALLY i would also add some kind of bucket of ice to jump into after good session + sauna.
JP
Site Admin

Postby ninearms » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:37 pm

- Foam rollers, plastic pipe, lacrosse balls.
- Med balls and shot and somewhere to throw them
- Plyo boxes
- Prowler/dragging sled
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby benzilla » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:27 pm

Sounds great, but the commute to Newcastle might be a bit far.

Sounds like you've got all the essential stuff.. maybe sandbags or some kettleball stuff?
benzilla

Postby sosso » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:09 pm

JP wrote:+ good lifters, and a good crew :D

Yeah that would be the most important part - getting the word out that the place is there and getting a crew together.

Finding equipment is pretty easy. I did a lot of research when I was looking for stuff for my garage & there's a guy here who builds strongman gear, so I'd be keen to support him and get him involved.
sosso

Postby JP » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:25 am

but hey, dreams aside, i think i train in the bet gym i have ever even seen at the moment, but they do have all the disco machines and equipment there too. Basically you just cant get the customer base AND keep the fees low without getting the average gym goer through the door too.

It is them who then finance the hardcore lifters, who actually are pretty expensive per used square metre, and quality of equipment.

The rule of thumb formula for keeping the gym going was when i did the maths about 1 monthly paying customer per square metre of the floor space. And thats with the access control, so its open 24/7 even without staffing (big expense).
JP
Site Admin

Postby FAQ » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:01 pm

Home gym.

Power Rack
Olympic weightlifting (set)
GHR
Dipping station
Pull-up bar
Iron Woody resistance bands for assisted pull-ups and dips
Weighted vests various weights
Treadmill
Stationary Bike
Sledgehammer
Tractor tire
Enough space for all of this shit.
FAQ

Postby patvirt » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:09 am

Good work Sam.

I would def come to have a train in your gym!
Melbourne Vegan Strength.
patvirt

Postby sosso » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:27 am

JP wrote:but hey, dreams aside, i think i train in the bet gym i have ever even seen at the moment, but they do have all the disco machines and equipment there too. Basically you just cant get the customer base AND keep the fees low without getting the average gym goer through the door too.

It is them who then finance the hardcore lifters, who actually are pretty expensive per used square metre, and quality of equipment.

The rule of thumb formula for keeping the gym going was when i did the maths about 1 monthly paying customer per square metre of the floor space. And thats with the access control, so its open 24/7 even without staffing (big expense).

Good point. That's a big issue. I know that the big shiny gyms with big joining fees and ongoing monthly fees are the ones that make the most money. I guess I could never go into a thing like this with the $$$ as the main priority, but at the same time, it would obviously need to make a bit just to stay open.
sosso

Return to Power and Strength