Good sitcoms and comedy shows?

Music, movies, literature, art, poems...

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Postby helmut » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:16 am

My housemates were watching episodes of Charlie Brookers 'Screenwipe' - really fucking funny. I laughed my ass off every time i cruised past the tv in the lounge room enroute to the kitchen to get more food... i eventually sat down to watch some of it and really enjoyed it :)
*take me to the mediocrity dungeon*
helmut

Postby mouche » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:56 pm

Nice one helmut, Screenwipe/Newswipe is amazing. This week's episode was brilliant, ripping apart celebrities in the media. It's the kind of thing I actually look forward to getting my hands on on BBC iPlayer!
mouche

Postby erske » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:01 pm

JuicyJ wrote:
xsurfgonewildx wrote:O god i fogot!!!!

The other day i was watching a tv show my roomate watches and i am also kinda into even though i used to think that it was lame: Sons of anarchy (
a show about motorcycle gangs( me and myroomate ride) not in gangs though. yet.).
On this show last week and i quote " i dont want him to be some vegan pussy" she said this because a doctor told her they need to put her baby on some type of formula. the doctor replied with a smart remark about having a wife beater (a white tank top under shirt) bib on. lol
i thought it was slightly funny for a second then realize that was a stereo
type and a sexist thing to say and then became angered with the show.

Did anyone see it?

I know I am really late on this .I have heard about this show and have been meaning to watch it but have not at this point however , being a biker .... and having been to more than several biker rallies I thought I would respond.This is typical biker talk so it fits . It's kind of funny.
I always turn off my female /feminist brain at biker rallies or I would be angry all the time . The fact that white undershirts are called "wife beaters" says it all !!!!! if I could count the time I hear guys yell "show us your tits" randomly at girls at these events, I would be very wealthy :)

I had to "borrow" both seasons of sons of anarchy.. And I'm hooked! :) (I also realized I'm kind of impressionable). I don't quite get how a culture that claims to be so devoted to freedom and in this case 'anarchy' can be so chauvinistic and sexist though..
Something irrelevant about cavemen
erske

Postby vegan hal » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:22 pm

The Sarah Silverman Show!!! new season just started.
vegan hal

Postby helmut » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:02 am

JuicyJ wrote:This is typical biker talk so it fits . It's kind of funny.
I always turn off my female /feminist brain at biker rallies or I would be angry all the time . The fact that white undershirts are called "wife beaters" says it all !!!!! if I could count the time I hear guys yell "show us your tits" randomly at girls at these events, I would be very wealthy :)

We saw these old bikers in melbourne and one dude had a sticker on his bike that said 'will i respect you in the morning? i don't respect you now!'

we stood there staring and mocking him and generally kicking up a stink till he rode off in an angry cloud :lol:
*take me to the mediocrity dungeon*
helmut

Postby skoptic » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:21 am

Some kwality shows listed here..... :-)

My adds that I couldn't see (although a lot are 90's not current)

Nathan Barley (Brooker & Morris together)
Jam (Morris on acid)
Garth Marenghi's Darkplace (flashback to fictitious 80's tawdricity)
Mitchell & Webb Look / Mitchell & Webb Situation
Man Stroke Woman (Nick Frost & others in really good sketch show)
Human Remains (Brydon & Julia Davis)
People Like us (90's very dry Chris Langham)
Marion & Geoff (Brydon)
Nighty Night (Julia Davis in sitcom)

Some may be an acquired taste.. check youtube first :-)
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby JuicyJ » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:02 pm

erske wrote:I don't quite get how a culture that claims to be so devoted to freedom and in this case 'anarchy' can be so chauvinistic and sexist though..

Yup that's bikers Erske..
remember all the old biker movies ??? all men . biker gangs men again ..not that I want to join one.
EVERY single time I mention to a guy that I ride a Harley he says and I could have a tape ..."What do you ride , a Sporty"
A Sporty or Sportser is (usually) 883 cc - the smallest - though the pepiest of the Harleys.They don't want to see girls on the big bikes - the domain of guys.
I guess some people(men) are more free than others (woman ) :roll:

Another thing that ALWAYS happens.If you are riding in a pack which is bound to happen .....
If there is a guy at the back on a sporty , everyone will say "Lets wait for _____ he is on a smaller bike.If it is a girl? She is at the back of the pack as she can't ride.
I never had a sporty so I never had this honor.
I do my own thing and try not to ride with assholes ( which is hard as you can't control everything) or I go into the zone .

Thats the way of the male dominated biker world - many of whom are not enlightened .

And Helmut - I have seen that T- shirt before. I am sure you did not even offend that guy.Maybe he didn't get it or just didn't care.That is why you cannot get angry at these events or it would never end-gotta just enjoy your little zen world of riding which is a gift in of itself .

Sarah Silverman is a good show Vegan Hal
JuicyJ

Postby erske » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:03 pm

How cool would it not be with an anarcha feminist motor cycle club, that would kick ass!! I can picture them riding in to one of these meets 8)

and somewhat more ot, I like the Sarah Silverman program too!
Something irrelevant about cavemen
erske

Postby JuicyJ » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:27 am

[quote="erske"]How cool would it not be with an anarcha feminist motor cycle club, that would kick ass!! I can picture them riding in to one of these meets 8)

to stay OT....There are actually a lot more women groups now- Most of the rallies,bars and the "aura " in general is still male dominated (and chauvinistic ) but we are out there . I have ridden with "dykes on bikes " (that is a real group) and had a blast .They let a token hetero in and didn't care :D
The stuff that happens when you are a girl who rides ...I could write a book.
Some girls who ride adopt a male persona...It's weird.

People are scared shitless of you but you are also their wet dream- fun times :twisted:
It is all a real sociological study ...... al part of the journey.
JuicyJ

Re: Good sitcoms and comedy shows?

Postby mauiwowi » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:06 pm

Yeah, Love the IT Crowd * :lol:

Lately on the T , Benny Hill has been on, so much to political correctness of today's modern shows. Some skits on that show are pretty sexist, but it is pretty funny, esp the fact that it got away with being so naughty. I think i saw a pair of bare breasts on the show the other afternoon.. :!:

Yes i said afternoon, children's hour.
And this sacred land
It has seen many hands
It has wealth and gold
Now it is fragile and old
And now the greedy souls just don't care to know
Of the changes it will confront

So speak out loud
Of the things you are proud
And if you love this coast
Then keep it clean as it evolves
Because the way that it shines
May just dwindle with time
With the changes it will confront
mauiwowi

Postby xzebrasx » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:18 pm

Stuff I've seen lately and liked or am watching right now and liking:

- Californication
- Six Feet Under
- The IT Crowd
- Fawlty Towers

Also tried Weeds but found it boring.

Up next - The Sopranos or Twin Peaks.

Would also like to see The Wire sometime in the - hopefully not too distant - future.

Other series of interest are - Carnivàle, Breaking Bad, Oz, Dead Like Me, In Treatment.

Doesn't seem like I'm gonna run out of stuff to watch anytime soon :)
xzebrasx

Postby jah_militant » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:17 pm

Ah, nice thread...
Gonna add a couple:

Spaced

Nathan Barley -- can't believe no one else has suggested it, ridiculous UK comedy, one of my favourites :D
--- Peace, Love, Unity, Respect ---

"Gotta get yo'self a gangsta physique!"
jah_militant

Postby Jonathan » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:34 am

It's been mentioned before, but 30 Rock is simply superb. We have rewatched all the seasons of late waiting for season 5 to come out, and I can say with some confidence that it is in my opinion the best comedy I've ever seen. Love it!
Kathryn wrote:You're getting a hedge trimmer, I want a bubble machine. I need it for my job
Jonathan

Postby baldy » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:55 am

xzebrasx wrote:- Californication

Brilliant series, just finished watching series 3 the other day. Its almost Nick Hornbyish script, if I could write and was not a romantic geek I would be like him.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby chloe » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:31 pm

ive been watching Hung,which isnt uproarously funny as such, but it is nice!and clever and deffinately makes me laugh out loud at times!

also been watching the united states of tara,which i really like.A little far fetched but still good.

Other than that ive been watching old seasons of The biggest Loser,which isnt funny at all, but its dam good,the transformations are incredible and its so cool to see exercise and fitness change peoples lives!
chloe

PreviousNext

Return to Culture