Pain in the neck

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Pain in the neck

Postby mabli » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:46 pm

Ive just started running and weirdly its giving me a neck ache. My shoulders and neck really hurt, not sure what Im doing wrong... any ideas, is this normal?

Im used to walking quite long distances up and down hills with a bag on my back so I would have thought that running would be loads easier on my neck area.
mabli

Postby notmilk » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:25 pm

I get this occaisionally on my long runs - i think it's to do with the way i carry my shoulders - i.e. there is a bit of tension there.
Need to learn to relax the shoulders more - so keep in mind the shoulders whilst on your walks and conciously relax/stretch them out occaisionally.
Whether you think you can or you think you can't - you're right.
notmilk

Postby JS » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:42 am

Yeah I get sore shoulders when I run and put it down to a mix of sitting at my desk all day and then running with my muscles tensed rather than relaxed. If it could be someting other than that I'd love to know how to stop it :)
JS

Postby mabli » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:24 pm

OK so Im not the only one and its normal so I can just bear it I geuss. Im not even running that far though yet... its so hard!
mabli

Postby notmilk » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:24 pm

yeah i was surprised when I started out running just how hard it felt!
Believe me - it gets easier - i think it's just an initial shock to the system!
Slowly and consistently is the way forward.... literally if need be as first!
Whether you think you can or you think you can't - you're right.
notmilk

Postby Steven-R » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:13 am

I strongly suspect posture is the origin of your pain. There is a common problem called "forward head posture," related to the more technical term "upper crossed syndrome" that you may have. Running could certainly exacerbate the problem.

When the head sits above the shoulders, the neck muscles just keep it steady and contract and relax as needed. However if the head projects in front of the shoulders with the neck at an angle, the posterior neck muscles are constantly elongated and working to keep your head from falling off.

Read http://positive-massage.blogspot.com/search/label/posture
particularly Stand Tall for Good Posture.

I hate to point this out in public, but the photo of JS illustrates the problem.
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
My website and blog about fitness, bodywork, and health:
http://stevenricefitness.com/
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Steven-R

Postby mabli » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:26 am

[quote="Steven-R"]I strongly suspect posture is the origin of your pain. There is a common problem called "forward head posture," related to the more technical term "upper crossed syndrome" that you may have. Running could certainly exacerbate the problem.

I think you are correct. My posture used to be good as I did dance for years and standing up tall was beaten into us. But I had a car accident a few years ago and havent got round to getting my neck sorted out. Its a bit stiff sometimes but running has made it intolerable.

My youngest daughter hasnt done much dance and her posture is appalling, even though we try to encourage her to stand tall.

Cant help but point out, cos it made me laugh, the before and after shots on your website make it look as though good posture makes you gain a few pounds and turns your hair white :D
mabli

Postby JS » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:58 am

[quote="Steven-R"]

I hate to point this out in public, but the photo of JS illustrates the problem.

Hey you know my sister has the same problem so cheers - need to go read up on that :)
JS

Postby mabli » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:39 pm

Thank you for telling me this, it all makes sense now Ive read through everything. Ill do the exercises, and get my daughter to do them to. Iv looked at a photo of myself and my back looks like a letter S (well nearly)

Thank you :D
mabli

Postby TMH » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:07 pm

I've had to readdress some bad habits I unconsciously found myself falling into as a result of running with others of late...

Have had a sore neck and at times inbetween my shoulder blades. Thought it was perhaps running too often with a backpack, but someone picked up on the fact that I've been copying other peoples' postures whilst running with them, etc (having my head tilted down...).

So, I've been trying to be mindful of that plus doing more specific exercises for the areas concerned... and it's improving. I just have to keep it up and not get lazy, lol.
TMH

Re: Pain in the neck

Postby Enhydra Lutris » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:25 am

[quote="mabli"]Ive just started running and weirdly its giving me a neck ache. My shoulders and neck really hurt, not sure what Im doing wrong... any ideas, is this normal?

Im used to walking quite long distances up and down hills with a bag on my back so I would have thought that running would be loads easier on my neck area.

Apart from what has been suggested, part of the problem could be that you are new at running and therefore not as relaxed as you should be. It is not only a new activity, but a harder impact one at that. Plus you are going much faster than when walking = "scary" = tensed muscles. If your body thinks that you might hurt yourself, you will tense up to protect yourself. Unfortunately, this is usually not the best strategy and you end up hurting from the tension.

When you're out, keep reminding yourself to relax and look quite far ahead (not directly in front of your feet)! You're smart enough to be able to judge when it's time to take a bigger step to clear that root without staring at it. :D
They say the grass is greener on the other side
-- but have you ever flipped it over?
[quote]The Jean-Paul Sartre cookbook: "Today I made a Black Forest cake out of five pounds of cherries and a live beaver, challenging the very definition of the word cake."
Enhydra Lutris

Return to Vegan Runners