Hypnotherapy

Armchair politics, ethical soapbox and current affairs. Place to discuss vegan ethics and general ethics and politics. Be nice.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Hypnotherapy

Postby downhillingdemon » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:39 pm

Branching off the the homeopathy thread....

I was pretty sceptical but had a couple of sessions this year and was very surprised by how well it worked. It's not a miracle cure, more like a form of stress relief + chance to change negative thinking at the same time. It really helped finding new ways of thinking and dealing with the problem (my case, vertigo and panics associated with a former accident and bad time in hospital).

Still, I know a lot of people have little time for hypnotherapy and see it as 'another new-age quack cure'. I think that's a shame.

Has anyone else here had hypnotherapy? Did you find it worked? What are peoples' opinions on it?
"You can't hide from your shadow"
downhillingdemon

Re: Hypnotherapy

Postby Hiking Fox » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:58 pm

downhillingdemon wrote:Has anyone else here had hypnotherapy? Did you find it worked? What are peoples' opinions on it?

*Warning - Explicit head stuff content in this post, but it is interesting, bear with me*

I tried it and absolutely loved it. I left feeling totally blissed out and as relaxed as if I'd slept on a cloud. There's no quackery involved, cos all it involves is shutting down your conscious mind and appealing directly to the subconscious mind.

As it was carefully explained to me (and I'm no psychologist by any stretch of the imagination) the principle of it is that we have two minds; the Conscious, which is our active, everyday reasoning mind, and the Subconscious, which is our more primal, non-reasoning, urge driven responses.

The reasoning goes that very young children don't have a highly developed conscious mind, they just want things sorted immediately, and by the age of 4 or so they are learning that life isn't that simple, that there are rules and restrictions and a wider picture. The subconscious mind is 'programmable' to respond to things in a certain way, and gets into entrenched habits that are very difficult to break. So if a young child gets stuck in a cupboard, they might develop a lifelong fear of confined spaces, and if their mum jerks their hand away from a spider, screaming, they might grow up to be afraid of spiders, without ever really knowing why.

When people want to break a phobia, so the theory goes, their conscious mind is reasoning; 'Don't be stupid, there's nothing wrong with spiders,' but subconsciously they are thinking, 'Aaaagh! Spider! be afraid!' There's a battle between the two.

When someone decides to give up smoking, they could have the best will in the world, but subconsciously they're thinking 'Go on, you've had a stressful day and you're walking home. You always enjoy a smoke when you walk home, go on, have a fag!'

When I had hypnotherapy about 10 years ago, it was for an eating disorder. I was asked to open my eyes wide and try to count down from 1,000 (of course, I didn't get very far) and this made my eyes so tired that I had to close them. I was then asked to visualise walking down a flight of steps into a garden. With every step, my conscious mind would get more and more tired until it was asleep. Once I was in the garden, I was completely in the subconscious.

I was asked to find a filing cabinet in the garden and look for the information in it that was causing me to eat the way I did. I found this and revealed out loud (you can hear yourself talk of course, but you can't lie, because the reasoning that would cause lying has been switched off) that it was habit I'd formed to protect myself. I was then asked to remove that habit and replace it with something less harmful.

I than had to explore memories in the garden and find the ones that had inspired me to form the habit. To my surprise, I found myself remembering that my mum had forced me to sit at the table until all my food was gone, and that I'd been guilt tripped about not leaving any on my plate (think of all the starving kids...). I was asked to say to myself that there is nothing wrong with not eating all your food, that there should not be any guilt associated with such things, and that I should only eat when I was hungry.

When I came to, like I said, I felt very blissful, but not much else. I could remember everything how I would remember a particularly vivid dream.

A few days later, it suddenly occurred to me that my bad eating habits had stopped. The urges I used to get to do certain things in a certain way, at certain times, had gone. The link between problems in my life and problem behaviour was broken.

I was advised to have a second session, but I didn't. Looking back, I wish I had done, but the bad habits have only ever come back very fleetingly.

I hope that these thoughts are helpful. Some things that I was told at the time:

* You can only hypnotise someone to do a thing they already want to do. You can hypnotise someone to help them give up smoking, but if they love smoking and are totally comfortable with it, it won't work. It isn't trickery or magic. A vegan could not be hypnotised to start eating meat.

* Some people are so blocked up, troubled or have such little imagination that it won't work.

* Many types of counseling rely on the notion that there is no subconscious mind, and people of that persuasion are usually very damning about hypnotherapy.
Hiking Fox

Postby Linnéa76 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:32 pm

Thanks for sharing, it's always so interesting to hear about these kinds of experiences.
As Hiking Fox says, hypnotherapy is not that mysterious. Hypnosis is an altered state of consciousness that can be seen on an EEG. The so called executive functions of the brain have lower activity, similarly to when you're dreaming. Other means of altering one's state of awareness (and perhaps getting access to subconscious material) are for example meditation, drugs, symbolic drama...
It's still pretty amazing that you can "correct" unwanted behaviours in just one session. Powerful stuff!
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Postby xrodolfox » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:53 pm

I have tried it. Nothing magical happened. It was combined with talk therapy... but what did happen is it helped get me out of depression.

As it was explained to me: hypnotherapy was a way to get to the A waves in the brain, the same sort of state that Micheal Jordan has when he hit 3-pointers, or when Tiger Woods hits a ball, or when Phelps swims: brain shuts down and you work without stress, your body knows what to do, and you can often do your best. I have been in that state before in a few competitions, and a few other times, but hypnotherapy was a way to harness that mental state. It was very similar to meditation.

No counting, or suggestions in my case. Just imagary, and really witnessing how my mind worked. That is all. I just witness how my mind worked, and with the help of the hypnotherapist, was able to consciously tweek my responses.

It was me that did the work.

I liked it. I do not know if it really did the trick, but I know that I had tried talk therapy alone for years without any results. The two combined, and I was out of severe Depression in a few months.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby israel » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:29 pm

did it for my sleep walking - but i left after three sessions so i really dont want to say to much about the subject -

just wanted to say something about what xrodolfox said - its like the movie "peacfull warior"

+ why is this in the ethics section ???? isnt this more general ?
my blog thats about simple recipes (vegan) :

http://reallysimplefood.blogspot.com/
israel

Postby downhillingdemon » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:12 pm

Thanks for sharing peoples :)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks hypnotherapy does have it's uses and has seen benefits.

I think I'm gonna book another session and see just how much effect it can have. I'd really like to start racing but I get so distracted by the pressure and my brain starts working overtime...it'll be great if hypnotherapy could help me focus when I really needed it.

Never know, it's gotta be worth a try!

israel wrote: + why is this in the ethics section ???? isnt this more general ?

I figured there would be a fair few people who thought it was a load of tosh which would set off an arguem.....I mean debate :lol:
"You can't hide from your shadow"
downhillingdemon

Postby JS » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:43 am

Funny this post came up - i was thinking about hypnotherapy on holiday to help me snowboard as I get a little too nervous and lean back on my board rather than pointing downhill more.

Let me know how you get on downhillingdemon :)
JS

Postby Superflor » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:24 pm

I've just had the second of three sessions for my inability to cope with turbulence. Will let ya know how I get on when I go to Ireland next month.
Superflor

Return to Ethics, Politics and Current Affairs